Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Maybe the tires are a different size like the pioneer. The stock tires are a little less than half inch shorter in the front which we all know that tires vary greatly from the label on the sidewall.

I highly doubt that was the plan though. That’s probably the just ratio of the gears they sourced or happened to be the closest match.
Should be the closest match for the room they had in the diffs.

Reactions: BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Should be the closest match for the room they had in the diffs.
Seems like it would be a little hard on the system on harder surfaces being that far apart with same size tires. I figure they have to come with different heights.

Z

Zmorris83

If someone can help me find the parts to do this I will gladly do it. Had warranty work done on my P1K5 and the sub-trans has been garbage since. I already found a spare sub trans so now I need all the reverse parts.

H

HondaTech

Can you help me get all the necessary parts? Just the part numbers will work.

Whats weird is the transmission 1st/reverse gear ratio is listed as the same for the P1K and Talon. It's only the sub transmission that is listed as a different ratio. I've have to do some digging, not sure it could even work.

Update: I just did a quick scan of the parts fiche and there are 3 parts that go on either end of the shift forks to assist them in shifting into the selected gear. On Babbitt's website they dont show a price or quantity. If I use our dealer parts info, they show to be not available with no ETA or anything whatsoever. They all have a HL6 model code, which means they are Talon specific, for what reason I dont know. The final shaft in there is also HL6, so if seems the swap could run up the cost and thats eve if the parts can be gotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Z

Zmorris83

Whats weird is the transmission 1st/reverse gear ratio is listed as the same for the P1K and Talon. It's only the sub transmission that is listed as a different ratio. I've have to do some digging, not sure it could even work.
The transmission doesn't even have reverse so I don't know why they would list it.

H

HondaTech

The transmission doesn't even have reverse so I don't know why they would list it.

The transmission uses 1st gear as the reverse gear, that's why the outer (1,3,5) clutch is applied when using reverse. Since all the shifting or reverse is done in the sub trans, some gear in the main trans has to be used to drive the output shaft.

Z

Zmorris83

The transmission uses 1st gear as the reverse gear, that's why the outer (1,3,5) clutch is applied when using reverse. Since all the shifting or reverse is done in the sub trans, some gear in the main trans has to be used to drive the output shaft.
That's obvious. Forward only in the transmission therefore no reason to list a reverse in the trans.

Is there a parts diagram online that I can find the part numbers on? I'm trying to get this project completed by Monday next week so I need to order them ASAP.

Z

Zmorris83

Update: I just did a quick scan of the parts fiche and there are 3 parts that go on either end of the shift forks to assist them in shifting into the selected gear. On Babbitt's website they dont show a price or quantity. If I use our dealer parts info, they show to be not available with no ETA or anything whatsoever. They all have a HL6 model code, which means they are Talon specific, for what reason I dont know. The final shaft in there is also HL6, so if seems the swap could run up the cost and thats eve if the parts can be gotten.
Just saw your updated info. Looks like I will have to go back with the Pioneer gears to get the machine fixed and use the original sub-trans to do the upgrade when parts are available. From what I've seen all the parts are cheap. Piecing the entire sub-trans together, including cases, from a diagram is about 1000$.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Looked like these were the 2 gears needed from the Talon.

GEAR, REVERSE DRIVE (25T)
23691-HL6-A00
$67.51

GEAR, REVERSE IDLE (16T/22T)
23701-HL6-A00
$59.32

Z

Zmorris83

23691-HL6-A00
$67.51

23701-HL6-A00
$59.32

From what I'm seeing the idler has two gears on it. The part discription seems to match. There should be a third gear. Is that gear the same on both machines? I wouldn't think it could be.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
From what I'm seeing the idler has two gears on it. The part discription seems to match. There should be a third gear. Is that gear the same on both machines? I wouldn't think it could be.
Pretty sure the idler 16 tooth end drives the 48 tooth Final Shaft Gear which is the same in both.

H

HondaTech

23691-HL6-A00
$67.51

23701-HL6-A00
$59.32

For some reason the "helper" springs and collars are Talon specific as well as the final shaft that the gears ride on. I'm wondering if the difference is enough to cause and issue. I also see a needle bearing that has a Talon specific # too.

The springs and collars arent avaliable for whatever reason yet, not sure what's up with that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!