Abandoned Ski Lodge - Northern Michigan

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I was trying to find a "haunted" cemetery and an abandoned town for a future ride and decided to stop off at an old ski lodge I heard about. I only spent about 15 minutes here because I was on a mission, but it looks like this will be the spot for a future ride. I didn't try to climb the hill I went down because I was riding solo and that would have been a bad idea. ;)

D

Deleted member 3748

I looked at it on Google's satellite view and it's a lot bigger than I thought. We're going back this weekend to give it a ride.

Reactions: trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

There's another one down by you that we'll be checking out too, but i think all of the buildings are gone. The gps coordinates are on the internet though. It's the Snow Bowl at the Snow Bowl exit off 127.

D

Deleted member 3748

They closed for the last time in 2008 which seems about right with my memory. They re-opened as a restaurant and we went to dinner there with my in-laws at least 10 years ago. They were planning on bringing the skiing back, but clearly it never happened. It's still privately owner and not open for riding so it's at your own risk of a DNR ticket.

I found this old brochure and compared it to the current Google satellite image.

Capture

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Are you sure it's abandoned and not just closed for the summer?
Seems odd that if abandoned they would have left chairs on the chairlift (0:05 and 1:20) rather than scrapping those as well as towers - lodge looks pretty nice too, no busted out windows. Looks like a nice place to ride.

D

Deleted member 3748

Seems odd that if abandoned they would have left chairs on the chairlift (0:05 and 1:20) rather than scrapping those as well as towers - lodge looks pretty nice too, no busted out windows. Looks like a nice place to ride.
Someone still owns it. Maybe they plan to reopen it one day. I thought the lifts were odd too. They usually at least set them on the ground.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hunted just west of snow bowl 70's-80's.wasn't much left but the hills.had alot of fun on dirt bikes.snow snake ski hill was just south of there and I think that's where rocks and valleys off road park is now.haven't been to that area for a long time

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
S

swampsnake

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2017
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can you find out who owns it? Looks like it would be a cool place to buy. No neighbors, no noise complaints, plus an awesome winter & summer play place!

T

tonyplants

Jun 26, 2017
Battle Creek, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was trying to find a "haunted" cemetery and an abandoned town for a future ride and decided to stop off at an old ski lodge I heard about. I only spent about 15 minutes here because I was on a mission, but it looks like this will be the spot for a future ride. I didn't try to climb the hill I went down because I was riding solo and that would have been a bad idea. ;)

Piston, can you expand out on google maps and place a pin. I can't seem to locate it on map. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 3748

Hunted just west of snow bowl 70's-80's.wasn't much left but the hills.had alot of fun on dirt bikes.snow snake ski hill was just south of there and I think that's where rocks and valleys off road park is now.haven't been to that area for a long time
I tried finding Snow Bowl a few weeks ago while out in my truck. The exact GPS coords took me to a place that doesn't look like it was big enough for skiing. A lot of places I couldn't get to because it's private property and people live there. I didn't see anything that looked like they used to be ski hills though. I want to try again when I can get down there in a SxS.

Google Maps

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did they have snow there when you looked? We had and I think still 5” last week. Looked to be less down that way.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There's another one down by you that we'll be checking out too, but i think all of the buildings are gone. The gps coordinates are on the internet though. It's the Snow Bowl at the Snow Bowl exit off 127.
Why all the ski lodge closings...GCC???

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!