Abandoned Ski Lodge - Northern Michigan

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

Why all the ski lodge closings...GCC???
The hills weren't very big back then and they've been replaced by ski lodges with larger hills. Possibly former landfills that became big ski hills? What is GCC?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The hills weren't very big back then and they've been replaced by ski lodges with larger hills. Possibly former landfills that became big ski hills? What is GCC?
Global climate change. I was just curious if there was less snow than back in the day....

D

Deleted member 3748

Global climate change. I was just curious if there was less snow than back in the day....
I don't think there is any less snow, but it's hard to tell because the seasonal amounts are on long cycles. When I was a kid, there was a lot of snow all winter long. During my teens, not so much. Lately, we've been getting a lot again.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You talking about The man made global climate change! Like when they called it global cooling in the 70’s? hahaha I think not. The climates ben channging since god parted the waters for Moses to pass! Down state here, some of them have closed mainly because kids don’t go outside and play like they use to. They’re too busy playing with there phones and video games and there parents don’t kick them in the Ace and make them do outside sports that made those loges packed when you went to them. There has never ben a problem with having enough snow or making snow at those places with those snow machines ever since I was a kid. It’s mostly lack of interest.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't think there is any less snow, but it's hard to tell because the seasonal amounts are on long cycles. When I was a kid, there was a lot of snow all winter long. During my teens, not so much. Lately, we've been getting a lot again.
So do you have knowledge of the reason for the closings? Are you able to actually ride your SXS on the steep ski slopes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I didn’t say anything about that, and wasn’t trying to get political. Ski resorts across the country have been battling declining snow falls to survive, regardless of what one wishes to blame it on.

Ski Resorts Fight Climate Change With Snow Guns and Buses

Sorry, didn’t mean to strike a cord. Just when someone sees anything to the so called Global warming thing, it comes across political, just does. I have no filter I’m told so I just spoke my mind with that so I apologize if I came across that way. That being said, in the north here, my job is working outside. I’ve seen the winters change for many many years and none have ben the same. Butt ton of snow some years in a row and then an off year or 2 with not as much. Not pattern in it at all, just the way it’s ben in my 44 years in this state. But the reason for most of our sky places shutting down is a lack of intest for sure.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry, didn’t mean to strike a cord. Just when someone sees anything to the so called Global warming thing, it comes across political, just does. I have no filter I’m told so I just spoke my mind with that so I apologize if I came across that way. That being said, in the north here, my job is working outside. I’ve seen the winters change for many many years and none have ben the same. Butt ton of snow some years in a row and then an off year or 2 with not as much. Not pattern in it at all, just the way it’s ben in my 44 years in this state. But the reason for most of our sky places shutting down is a lack of intest for sure.
No cord with me. GCC is a reality regardless of where the blame is placed and I didn’t want to make it political here, that happens enough on the teli these days. :D

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No cord with me. GCC is a reality regardless of where the blame is placed and I didn’t want to make it political here, that happens enough on the teli these days. :D
Agreed with the teli for sure;)

Reactions: Montecresto
D

Deleted member 3748

So do you have knowledge of the reason for the closings? Are you able to actually ride your SXS on the steep ski slopes?
No, I don't know the exact reason, but it's too small for me to want to ski there. :) Here's a video of me and a P500 climbing the steep hill. As usual, it doesn't look very steep in the video. After this ride, the owner installed security cameras because people started to vandalize the buildings. A friend of mine went to ride there and the owner was on site. They had to walk around the hills.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No, I don't know the exact reason, but it's too small for me to want to ski there. :) Here's a video of me and a P500 climbing the steep hill. As usual, it doesn't look very steep in the video. After this ride, the owner installed security cameras because people started to vandalize the buildings. A friend of mine went to ride there and the owner was on site. They had to walk around the hills.

Awesome video Piston. I didn’t mean ski there, I meant can you ride your sxs on the actual abandoned ski slopes?

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Right. My comments about skiing were to why it closed. ;) You're not supposed to ride there because it's private property. But there are trails all over the place and it's hard to resist.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!