P500 Adding 2x8s under the rear wheels (on tailgate) good idea?

Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I suspect the answer to that relies heavily on how the machine is strapped in. If it is just pulled forward with straps (cringes, but has seen plenty do it) it will allow far more bounce than if it pulled down with straps.

Keep in mind, I always have 5 straps on my pioneer. One over each tire and one through the cab over the floor board area. Oh and loosed ends tie the front bumper off to the front of my trailer too...just in case. I can laugh at myself, but I've also never lost anything I've ever loaded even though I've had straps break.[/QUOT
Many good google results on tailgate ratings and hauling utvs. Smart people buy Polaris?.. “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”. LOLView attachment 88384
some people don’t give a ****, and some people are just too damn stupid to know better... that’s just good enough to have someone wife kids following behind when it falls out the back of truck...

Last edited:
Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
In my experience tailgate supports don't slowly fail. They are "fine" and then they are broken. You asked if it is a good idea to try to distribute the weight...I'd say absolutely. A little wood is cheap insurance in my opinion. As with loading ramps though make sure you secure it. The two main planks, secured side to side with a 2x4 at the front and rear and strap the setup to the truck. Not really a lot of effort to prevent what could go wrong. Again... just my opinion for what it is worth. :)
Yeh I normally trailer with kids lil recon but there maybe an instance where I load it in truck... even if the tailgate supports would hold, im still goin with boards cause they are way cheaper than even thinking of damaging my duramax...

Reactions: Mudder
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Connect the ramps to the 2x8 until loaded, then disconnect them. You can use a door hinge and remove the pin. Just be sure to use the strap to keep the ramps from kicking out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!