Talon Air Cleaner concern on my 1000x

W

Wigglysqiggly

May 8, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ill check again also i did install this too will post pictures later, hopefully this helps too

05CB1C2D D047 4B6B A365 05AF14C60B36

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Redmoon I'm camping and riding the desert this winter. The star Island shop can install a particle separator. The parts or service guys can give you my phone number but I'm staying away from everyone untill we get the vaccine. 3 of the guys have died and 2 got really sick. Around 15 other guys were sick for a week and ok after another week. We have around 100 on the Tuesday ride list and I can add you. We have 15 Talons in the ride group.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my opinion on the RC2 filter, i thought i could use it and have a better outcome than the OEM filter but i wrong. I remember when I replaced the OEM filter yes it was caked in dirt but no and mean no dust was in the air ducks. I wanted to check on the RC2 filter and let me tell you, it was cleaner than the OEM filter BUT there was dust was everywhere if not worst because there was dust in the intake tubes unlike the oem filter
When you installed the RC2 filter did you remove and leave out the OEM filter? I’ m having trouble understanding how dust got past 2 filters and into the intake tubes when running just the OEM filter by itself kept all of the dust out?

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Redmoon I'm camping and riding the desert this winter. The star Island shop can install a particle separator. The parts or service guys can give you my phone number but I'm staying away from everyone untill we get the vaccine. 3 of the guys have died and 2 got really sick. Around 15 other guys were sick for a week and ok after another week. We have around 100 on the Tuesday ride list and I can add you. We have 15 Talons in the ride group.
Thanks Bob I understand your position. I have your phone number we have spoke on several occasions. That was about my Pioneer at the time. Would you be able to give me your source for the 3” snorkel pipe that you use. I can handle the rest.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When you installed the RC2 filter did you remove and leave out the OEM filter? I’ m having trouble understanding how dust got past 2 filters and into the intake tubes when running just the OEM filter by itself kept all of the dust out?
I don’t believe the two can fit at the same time....🤔

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t believe the two can fit at the same time....🤔
Oh sorry I assumed wrong regarding the RC2. Seems that a Pre-filter and the OEM filter would be a better set up. I’m getting ready to do my Talon so I want to get it right. 400.00 bucks for a particle separator is it the best choice? albeit way over priced?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh sorry I assumed wrong regarding the RC2. Seems that a Pre-filter and the OEM filter would be a better set up. I’m getting ready to do my Talon so I want to get it right. 400.00 bucks for a particle separator is it the best choice? albeit way over priced?
It depends on who you ask. IMO, the PS is bulky, unsightly, noisy, requires running electrical and is pricey. But of course it’s effective. The snorkel is less obtrusive and a good option. I’m running the R2C and a pre filter in the box, no alterations to the Talon and it’s working well, so far....

Read the whole thread, it’s full of good information and opinions...
AE7A2BD5 F735 4380 B195 86504A0F8050
625930A7 5D84 4B46 A30E 8EC19C368955

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Better check the fitment on that seal...👍
That's what I'm thinking, check the air box lid seal. The entire air box design is kinda crappy for Honda. There are too many opportunities for a bad seal. I have run these filters on several machines and they worked great on all of them. I've sold TOO MANY R2C filters with no complaints.

Reactions: Montecresto
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is my opinion on the RC2 filter, i thought i could use it and have a better outcome than the OEM filter but i wrong. I remember when I replaced the OEM filter yes it was caked in dirt but no and mean no dust was in the air ducks. I wanted to check on the RC2 filter and let me tell you, it was cleaner than the OEM filter BUT there was dust was everywhere if not worst because there was dust in the intake tubes unlike the oem filter
That’s not good, I saw a photo from a guy racing in the ATV World championship, it let a lot of dirt past and right into the intakes😮 The seal to the plenum, air filter box was in place and all the clips were secure?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
After reading through this thread from page 1 and seeing how several of you have added a snorkel and uni pre filter, I have reached out to R2C for a filter solution in place of the uni. They have a conical filter that is dimensionally similar to the uni with a 3” ID inlet. I’m working on getting the details for this filter to list on my website as an alternative pre filter to the uni filter.

Since R2C filters are dry, not oiled, they should be less messy for this filter application. Also, some accumulated dirt on a dry element should be shed off from natural vibration for less maintenance.

R2C does NOT recommend installing this filter inside the air box flowing reverse direction!!

I’ll keep everyone posted on this solution.

Reactions: CID and stellarpod
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Bob I understand your position. I have your phone number we have spoke on several occasions. That was about my Pioneer at the time. Would you be able to give me your source for the 3” snorkel pipe that you use. I can handle the rest.
I copied Bob's snorkel idea using the part numbers he's posted in his Talon 1000 mile reviews. The 3" plastic tube is from a 2012 Teryx 4 seat, it's the belt vent tube (don't know Kawi's name) Part # 14073-0716. All my dealer needed was the part number, he didn't care what it was on or what it's called. The rubber connector tube Bob uses is NAPA Part #8907, it's used for some sort of turbo application and costs ~$57. I've since learned places like Summit Racing or even EBay have 3" rubber hose for the same application but have no further information. The NAPA hose has a 90* bend you can use at the roofline if you run your filter up there, mine is behind the passenger's headrest.

I like the Teryx tube because it has a slight bend that allows the snorkel filter to stand almost straight up. I put all this info plus some pics in post #18 of the link in my sig so it's all in one place (mostly), including the Uni filter part number. I also have a photo showing exactly where to locate the hole through the body panel.

Reactions: 1HasBeen
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I copied Bob's snorkel idea using the part numbers he's posted in his Talon 1000 mile reviews. The 3" plastic tube is from a 2012 Teryx 4 seat, it's the belt vent tube (don't know Kawi's name) Part # 14073-0716. All my dealer needed was the part number, he didn't care what it was on or what it's called. The rubber connector tube Bob uses is NAPA Part #8907, it's used for some sort of turbo application and costs ~$57. I've since learned places like Summit Racing or even EBay have 3" rubber hose for the same application but have no further information. The NAPA hose has a 90* bend you can use at the roofline if you run your filter up there, mine is behind the passenger's headrest.

I like the Teryx tube because it has a slight bend that allows the snorkel filter to stand almost straight up. I put all this info plus some pics in post #18 of the link in my sig so it's all in one place (mostly), including the Uni filter part number. I also have a photo showing exactly where to locate the hole through the body panel.
Thank CID for the info

B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thought I'd throw in my 2¢. Couldn't decide what solution to use for air filtering and yes you HAVE to do something. While I tried to decide I went ahead and installed the UNI filter inside the air box. I've now run well over 1,000 miles in VERY dusty conditions and here are my conclusions.
image002 is stock setup with barely 200 miles. image001 is with UNI filter after over 1k miles. image003 is air box after over 1k miles, The UNI filter absolutely works. If you use good seals and grease them with silicone grease the stock air box is tight. Working inside out doesn't seem to hurt much. I have seen where some have rermoved the red outer filter but mine was dirty so still catching dust. So I think this works VERY well, I think this is VERY inconvenient! I am going to use a snorkel setup to get the UNI filter outside where it can be cleaned easily. But at worst I wouldn't check the stock filter but every 2k miles.
(I see labels on pics don't show but I think you can see whats what)

Image003
Image001
Image002

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I'd throw in my 2¢. Couldn't decide what solution to use for air filtering and yes you HAVE to do something. While I tried to decide I went ahead and installed the UNI filter inside the air box. I've now run well over 1,000 miles in VERY dusty conditions and here are my conclusions.
image002 is stock setup with barely 200 miles. image001 is with UNI filter after over 1k miles. image003 is air box after over 1k miles, The UNI filter absolutely works. If you use good seals and grease them with silicone grease the stock air box is tight. Working inside out doesn't seem to hurt much. I have seen where some have rermoved the red outer filter but mine was dirty so still catching dust. So I think this works VERY well, I think this is VERY inconvenient! I am going to use a snorkel setup to get the UNI filter outside where it can be cleaned easily. But at worst I wouldn't check the stock filter but every 2k miles.
(I see labels on pics don't show but I think you can see whats what)

View attachment 239050View attachment 239048View attachment 239049
Thanks bk5er. That is the setup that I am going with also. Keep the Honda filter add the snorkel with the outside filter. I just needed help finding the correct 3” pipe. CID helped me with that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks bk5er. That is the setup that I am going with also. Keep the Honda filter add the snorkel with the outside filter. I just needed help finding the correct 3” pipe. CID helped me with that.
I believe that he went with the UNI inside the air box....

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
With the UNI. Inside the airbox.
Are yall just playing the game of "out of sight out of mind" or do you actually change/wash the UNI every 100 miles?

You can cleary see the dust caked inside the intake tube. The inside of the UNI would be the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
<snip>

So I think this works VERY well, I think this is VERY inconvenient! I am going to use a snorkel setup to get the UNI filter outside where it can be cleaned easily. But at worst I wouldn't check the stock filter but every 2k miles.

View attachment 239050View attachment 239048View attachment 239049
I agree, repeated access to the stock air filter is an accident looking for a place to happen, having the Uni filter outside where you can actually keep tabs on when it needs cleaning is a much better solution resulting in a 10 minute R&R if you have a spare filter. Repeating myself but post 18 has most of the information you'll need for the external snorkel including the best placement for the hole in the body panel IMO. Post 19 has more snorkel info - link in my sig. All of this information was provided by HondaBob on this site, I just put it in one place, I don't take credit for others' contributions. I didn't run my filter up to the roof like Bob, so I have no details for that setup.

Like you, I won't look at my stock filter for ~2000 miles. :cool:

Reactions: HavasuDave
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Are yall just playing the game of "out of sight out of mind" or do you actually change/wash the UNI every 100 miles?

You can cleary see the dust caked inside the intake tube. The inside of the UNI would be the same.
Speaking for myself, I pull mine after every ride and clean it....

So far......I’m really happy with the R2C and the in box UNI. Time will tell...👍

Reactions: Hondasxs
B

bk5r

Apr 13, 2020
Congress, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

Yea I get what you're saying. The UNI was dirty but had no loss of power. I don't consider this a permanent solution, just a quick fix until you get a snorkel or PS. Did the 1k with no problem-might stretch to 2k.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!