Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda may change configurations on subsequent models, but I doubt they recall existing machines to reconfigure air filtration. I’m satisfied with the setup I’m running now with no engineering or aesthetical alterations.
Maybe someone will make a inside out pre-filter? And offer a kit like cars have on their air boxes that show the condition of the filter without taking it apart?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Maybe someone will make a inside out pre-filter? And offer a kit like cars have on their air boxes that show the condition of the filter without taking it apart?
Apparently not necessary. See the latest @Iowamike post.....👍

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info on running the airbox Uni filter backwards, I figured it would be fine considering so many were using it.

I swung by my local dealer and asked for the two airbox seals without the filter, they don't carry those in stock since they come with the filter and had to order them. Those o-rings are so soft I wouldn't trust them for more than one clean/inspection cycle of the filter & airbox. The pair of seals run about $12, cheap insurance for the weakest part of the intake system.

That Uni filter is currently out of stock everywhere but Uni it seems, and they want another $10 for shipping. Or, wait for Amazon to get it in stock around the 25th of this month.

This was my airbox at the recommended change interval, $50 or so for a filter that allows that much junk through is a cruel joke; looks like there's a K&N on there. I'm gonna go with the Uni in the airbox and also the R2C. I ride alone on dusty trails at mostly 25-40MPH and it seems the front wheel throws all of its dust into the air intake.

20200719 212314
20200719 212324

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CID and Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the info on running the airbox Uni filter backwards, I figured it would be fine considering so many were using it.

I swung by my local dealer and asked for the two airbox seals without the filter, they don't carry those in stock since they come with the filter and had to order them. Those o-rings are so soft I wouldn't trust them for more than one clean/inspection cycle of the filter & airbox. The pair of seals run about $12, cheap insurance for the weakest part of the intake system.

That Uni filter is currently out of stock everywhere but Uni it seems, and they want another $10 for shipping. Or, wait for Amazon to get it in stock around the 25th of this month.

This was my airbox at the recommended change interval, $50 or so for a filter that allows that much junk through is a cruel joke; looks like there's a K&N on there. I'm gonna go with the Uni in the airbox and also the R2C. I ride alone on dusty trails at mostly 25-40MPH and it seems the front wheel throws all of its dust into the air intake.

View attachment 223772View attachment 223773
Greasing those two seals is a good idea too.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Honda filter will keep the clean side clean. With that much dust getting through you will reduce the engine life. I have built 14 snorkels for the guys with a prefilter up under the roof. Several had 300 to 600 miles and the filter would look awful but the clean side was still clean. I checked my 2019 stock air filter and it was still near new. My Uni pre filter was up under the center of my roof and I didn't clean it until 10,000 miles. It was filthy but my Talon would still hit the rev limiter. I check my main factory filter every 10,000 miles and will be changing it at 30,000 because its getting old. I clean or replace my under roof pre filter every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. I'm using the pre oiled automotive filter now.

300miles
20200210 114701 resized
20200210 115926 resized
20200514 153211 resized
20200514 161711 resized

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The inside the air box Uni filter will help but they will need to be cleaned frequently. Its a PITA to change the air filter and we have to be very careful to make sure the O-rings are seated properly for a good seal. A new Honda filter comes with new O-rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedBuggy
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X

There is such a animal that can be added to the air box cover and you can monitor the filter condition,,,it operates off the air flow and air resistance inside the air box. I have one mounted on my air box lid I'm currently watching how it performs before I completely trust in it,,,so far so good.

Reactions: Iowamike
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There is such a animal that can be added to the air box cover and you can monitor the filter condition,,,it operates off the air flow and air resistance inside the air box. I have one mounted on my air box lid I'm currently watching how it performs before I completely trust in it,,,so far so good.
Post a pic of that please..👍

Reactions: Iowamike
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The inside the air box Uni filter will help but they will need to be cleaned frequently. Its a PITA to change the air filter and we have to be very careful to make sure the O-rings are seated properly for a good seal. A new Honda filter comes with new O-rings.
I’ve purchased spare O-rings sense using the R2C cleanable filter.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Post a pic of that please..👍
I did have of a pic of mine but deleted it and my X is loaded in the trailer to go to Colorado this Saturday. It is a just a vacuum gauge that shows your vacuum in the air box. When it gets restricted too much the gauge will indicate such a condition. Mine is in the air box cover and a rubber grommet seals it from any outside air leaks. Takes about 15 minutes to install and you are good to go. As the restriction increases the gauge shows the increase you just decide at what level of increase you want to clean the filter. I'm still working on what level I want to clean the filter with the level of vacuum restriction. Before I installed it I sucked on the end and very little suction or resistance tripped the gauge,,, it is sensitive to any restriction at all and that is a good thing. You can even get a gauge that will mount to the dash or even a LED indicating gauge that will mount on the dash and they are illuminated as well as a option,, just too fancy. I got mine thru WIX and I have the PT number somewhere ,,,, it is made by Donaldson and here is their web site ,,, You will thank me for this LOL😊😊😊 or just google search air filter monitors.

I'm running a r2c and it was really dirty but the monitor was not showing any restriction,,but the r2c is suppose to breath good even when really dirty,,, I would be interested how the gauge would indicate with some of the aughful OEM filters I have seen on here since they may look trashed but actually still effective filters according to the filter monitor.

www.filterminder.com

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dang! I'm always behind the 8 ball, HA!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I Googled Air Filter and Minder auto filled -

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Honda filter will keep the clean side clean.
No, it wont. Look at my pictures again. Stock filter, stock recommended change interval, lots of fine dust.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve purchased spare O-rings sense using the R2C cleanable filter.
Coat the sealing groove liberally with water proof grease such as Bel Ray sells then put it together and run a rag around the outside after you set the clamps to wipe off any excess. When you remove the cover you will need to yank on it because it is stuck on with the grease seal. When the cover is off look the sealing surface over from top to bottom,,,if any dirt is getting past the seal it will show.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
^^^ Typing at the same time.

No, it wont. Look at my pictures again. Stock filter, stock recommended change interval, lots of fine dust.
In that case I'd be using someone else's idea and greasing both large o-ring gaskets and making sure they're properly seated. Paper filters are pretty efficient even when heavily loaded with dirt. Actually, up to a certain point, the dirtier they get, the more effective they become.

I'll be greasing the o-rings on my new Talon when I check that they're properly seated. I think it's a good idea for our environment.

Reactions: TripleB
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, the stock ones are too soft, the one I pulled out of the cover was pretty flat and crushed into the groove after only about 1.5 months in place. Grease is a good idea, just be careful the o-ring doesn't slide out of the groove with the added lube.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!