Talon Air Cleaner concern on my 1000x

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
For those who use the Uni in the airbox, you are running the filter backwards from manf intended airflow. Are there any issues, particularly when cleaning?

I cleaned mine at 450 miles, not to dusty conditions. I use dawn dish soap and warm water from the outside of the filter to flush out the particles. I have 2 , one on the machine the other drying and then oiled up and put into a ziploc bag ready to go.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I cleaned mine at 450 miles, not to dusty conditions. I use dawn dish soap and warm water from the outside of the filter to flush out the particles. I have 2 , one on the machine the other drying and then oiled up and put into a ziploc bag ready to go.
Ole dirt biker trick.

Reactions: Iowamike
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Put a sock on it. 🤣 Seriously they make one for it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sounds like it’s doing good inside the air box. Is it extending the life of the primary filter?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Where is the intake duct for the air intake start?
Honda engineers were hoping these two ducts would be the air source.
I gZ8LJpB M

Unfortunately they put the actual intake behind this fender liner and it's only held on with push pins and there's no seal - it lives in the right rear wheel well.
I ChDXMrx L

And it gets real dirty in there.
I JxZSRKM XL

Some guys are putting a Uni pod filter inside the airbox on the 3' intake coming in from the right. The problems with this location - 1. You can't see the condition of the Uni, it's a guess and by golly. 2. You're using the filter inside out. 3. You have to remove your storage box, the airbox lid, the air filter itself and the Uni to check its condition - an overly complicated process IMO if you're just trying to avoid a 3" hole in a plastic body panel. There's almost 10 linear feet of gasket surface in that assembly (guessing), a mistake anywhere and you're sucking dirt into your engine.
I pzZqzZr L

The location of the necessary 3" hole. ETA: there's a wire running right there, don't cut it. ETA: this photo shows the fender removed, that isn't necessary, everything can be easily done with the fender in place.
I CMJfXgJ XL

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda engineers were hoping these two ducts would be the air source.
View attachment 223710

Unfortunately they put the actual intake behind this fender liner and it's only held on with push pins and there's no seal - it lives in the right rear wheel well.
View attachment 223711

And it gets real dirty in there.
View attachment 223712

Some guys are putting a Uni pod filter inside the airbox on the 3' intake coming in from the right. The problems with this location - 1. You can't see the condition of the Uni, it's a guess and by golly. 2. You're using the filter inside out. 3. You have to remove your storage box, the airbox lid, the air filter itself and the Uni to check its condition - an overly complicated process IMO if you're just trying to avoid a 3" hole in a plastic body panel. There's almost 10 linear feet of gasket surface in that assembly (guessing), a mistake anywhere and you're sucking dirt into your engine.
View attachment 223713

The location of the necessary 3" hole.
View attachment 223714
WOW, that's a terrible place, smell another recall?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@hondabob 's snorkel idea is such a good fix and works so well with just a little work that my stock filter will last for a very long time. All a guy has to do is get over the 3" hole and he'll be set for the life of the machine. Honda doesn't care if you have to buy a new filter every 200-300 miles. Cut the hole, put the filter right where you can see when it needs cleaning, a 20 second R&R if you have a spare filter ready to go. Riding solo, my filter needs cleaning at 1000 miles.

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. :)

I vVGqTf8 L

So easy, even a caveman can do it. :cool:
I 7HPhcsr L

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No, there will be no recall for this and the problem is easily remedied with the reusable (cleanable) filter.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@hondabob 's snorkel idea is such a good fix and works so well with just a little work that my stock filter will last for a very long time. All a guy has to do is get over the 3" hole and he'll be set for the life of the machine. Honda doesn't care if you have to buy a new filter every 200-300 miles. Cut the hole, put the filter right where you can see when it needs cleaning, a 20 second R&R if you have a spare filter ready to go. Riding solo, my filter needs cleaning at 1000 miles.

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. :)

View attachment 223715

So easy, even a caveman can do it. :cool:
View attachment 223716
I'm older and have a hearing disability from being around unnecessary noise for years and most of the snorkels add noise, I like quiet now days.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm older and have a hearing disability from being around unnecessary noise for years and most of the snorkels add noise, I like quiet now days.
Yep, many of the remedies, including the particle separator add noise.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No, there will be no recall for this and the problem is easily remedied with the reusable (cleanable) filter.
Thats what I said, Honda will probably come out with a different filter later in a recall manner?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a retired off road motorcycle rider and used to wearing foam ear plugs. The gear noise is so loud in the Talon, it's painful for me, even wearing a helmet so ear plugs are mandatory. I can't hear the intake noise over the gear whine. I've been preaching hearing protection to my shop buddies for decades - as you know, hearing loss is permanent and progressive.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thats what I said, Honda will probably come out with a different filter later in a recall manner?
Honda may change configurations on subsequent models, but I doubt they recall existing machines to reconfigure air filtration. I’m satisfied with the setup I’m running now with no engineering or aesthetical alterations.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm a retired off road motorcycle rider and used to wearing foam ear plugs. The gear noise is so loud in the Talon, it's painful for me, even wearing a helmet so ear plugs are mandatory. I can't hear the intake noise over the gear whine. I've been preaching hearing protection to my shop buddies for decades - as you know, hearing loss is permanent and progressive.
And a pain in the butt and expensive.It's kind of strange when you start losing your hearing you start to learn how to read lips and don't even know it. Ok back to the filters!

Reactions: CID and 1HasBeen

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!