H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Fyathyrio I have replaced a few dirty filters and the clean side was still clean. You may have a air leak causing the clean side to be dusty. I had one guy wash his air filter and it did have a very slight amount of dust on the clean side in around 200 miles of use. Washing the stock air filter will ruin it. You can look at the throttle body boots and the super dirty filter I posted.

Reactions: TripleB
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
We used pre filters in the 60's for the Mint 400 race. We changed riders on every lap and the pre filters on every other lap. The cleaner the air the longer the engine will last so I have been adding pre filters on most of my side by sides for high mileage use. We could change the pre filters faster then we could gas it up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Coat the sealing groove liberally with water proof grease such as Bel Ray sells then put it together and run a rag around the outside after you set the clamps to wipe off any excess.
Yep, already doing that, mentioned so in an earlier post.....👍

peekaa

peekaa

Aug 4, 2020
So Cal
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Has anyone installed hondas particle separator. I'm thinking on instaiing one. Guys at 3 dealerships all told me to get one for sure.

What do you think as for what filter to use if using the hondas particle separator? OEM filter or Rc2?
👍

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone installed hondas particle separator. I'm thinking on instaiing one. Guys at 3 dealerships all told me to get one for sure.

What do you think as for what filter to use if using the hondas particle separator? OEM filter or Rc2?
👍
A filtered snorkel or particle separator is an absolute MUST. Not even debatable!
I have the S&B and my OEM filter has 2000+ miles and looks brand new (my original filter lasted 240 miles). I am sure it will last at least 10,000 miles.

Personally, I think the RC2 is not necessary with a separator. The RC2 has more surface area and will last longer between cleanings but does not provide any additional filtering. The OEM filter is a quality unit and with a separator, will not need replacing for a LONG, LONG time. You can buy 3 OEM filters for the price of one RC2. For me, that would equal 30,000 miles of OEM filters before I spent as much as the RC2.

Hint: You do not need all the extra wiring Honda says you have to buy if you know how to wire a triggered relay (like a light bar has).

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

👍
A filtered snorkel or particle separator is an absolute MUST. Not even debatable!
I have the S&B and my OEM filter has 2000+ miles and looks brand new (my original filter lasted 240 miles). I am sure it will last at least 10,000 miles.

Personally, I think the RC2 is not necessary with a separator. The RC2 has more surface area and will last longer between cleanings but does not provide any additional filtering. The OEM filter is a quality unit and with a separator, will not need replacing for a LONG, LONG time. You can buy 3 OEM filters for the price of one RC2. For me, that would equal 30,000 miles of OEM filters before I spent as much as the RC2.

Hint: You do not need all the extra wiring Honda says you have to buy if you know how to wire a triggered relay (like a light bar has).
I put one on mine, after going through 3 filters in the first 1500 miles I pulled the trigger on it.....and I don't live in a dusty environment. I agree with @PaulF , the RC2 isn't necessary with the S&B. I got a pigtail from @Hondasxs to connect it to my aux battery set up so I didn't have to buy all the overpriced Honda wiring.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

👍
I’m having great results from the RC2, you can keep your intake clean with it, for $125.00

But if you want to spend the time and money, you sure can’t go wrong with the snorkeled filter and particle separator. One things certain, you should not run it bone stock...👍

Last edited:
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Honda filter will keep the clean side clean. With that much dust getting through you will reduce the engine life. I have built 14 snorkels for the guys with a prefilter up under the roof. Several had 300 to 600 miles and the filter would look awful but the clean side was still clean. I checked my 2019 stock air filter and it was still near new. My Uni pre filter was up under the center of my roof and I didn't clean it until 10,000 miles. It was filthy but my Talon would still hit the rev limiter. I check my main factory filter every 10,000 miles and will be changing it at 30,000 because its getting old. I clean or replace my under roof pre filter every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. I'm using the pre oiled automotive filter now.

View attachment 223921View attachment 223922View attachment 223924View attachment 223925View attachment 223926View attachment 223927

Bob did I read in one of your posts that you are helping guys in the area build their Pre filters? Im in Prescott

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

👍
There are two pre-filters KWT and S&B. I went with KWT since it doesn’t require electricity, has no noisy fan, so a little easier installation. It can be mounted anywhere, even facing backwards. I tested out their pre-production model X2 for 1400 miles before I got the production model. Here is my review.

Reactions: CID and Montecresto
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

👍
I would stay with the Honda oem, it is very good at keeping the dirt out of your engine. I saw a photo of a guy using an RC2 at the UTV world championship and it let dirt through.

E83A8F0D CAB7 472E 8414 887F19625000

• Wow
Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I would stay with the Honda oem, it is very good at keeping the dirt out of your engine. I saw a photo of a guy using an RC2 at the UTV world championship and it let dirt through.

View attachment 237697
Wow, that stinks, I’ve seen nothing like that with mine. Wonder if his seal was bad or a defective unit. He should talk to @highpocket74

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I’ve never seen a problem like that with the air filters! Seems more likely a seal problem to me. I’ve used these filters for years in my RZR and never had dirt get through. That’s why I still use them and decided to sell them.

If the filters where not good I’d hear a lot more bad from customers but I don’t hear anything. I’d quit selling them also if that was the case.

peekaa

peekaa

Aug 4, 2020
So Cal
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks to all... Think I'm gonna go with a KWT and keep the OEM filter. Reviews seem solid and love the idea on no elec. needed as well quiet ...

Reactions: Montecresto
TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe the seal between cover and base was not properly installed. That would explain the dirt on cover side. It’s an o ring.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe the seal between cover and base was not properly installed. That would explain the dirt on cover side. It’s an o ring.
That's why I think it's important to have a snorkel with prefilter or a particle separator - so you don't have to open the airbox any more than necessary.

Photo thanks to highpocket74

Photo thanks to AJMX824

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yep. First pic is how my talon was delivered with the oring not completely in place.

The entire air box is just a bad design for Honda. Their ATV air boxes have always been top notch and easy to maintenance but the talon is a mess. Too many possible leak points and over complicated maintenance procedure to service the filter.

W

Wigglysqiggly

May 8, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is my opinion on the RC2 filter, i thought i could use it and have a better outcome than the OEM filter but i wrong. I remember when I replaced the OEM filter yes it was caked in dirt but no and mean no dust was in the air ducks. I wanted to check on the RC2 filter and let me tell you, it was cleaner than the OEM filter BUT there was dust was everywhere if not worst because there was dust in the intake tubes unlike the oem filter

• Wow
Reactions: HavasuDave and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Here is my opinion on the RC2 filter, i thought i could use it and have a better outcome than the OEM filter but i wrong. I remember when I replaced the OEM filter yes it was caked in dirt but no and mean no dust was in the air ducks. I wanted to check on the RC2 filter and let me tell you, it was cleaner than the OEM filter BUT there was dust was everywhere if not worst because there was dust in the intake tubes unlike the oem filter
Better check the fitment on that seal...👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!