P700 Air filter

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I went to service my air filter and it was long overdue. We do a lot of pasture burning in the spring and the filter was black on the outside. Couldn't even tell what color it was supposed to be. Ran to the dealer and bought a new foam element and the No toil kit to clean the factory one. It didn't come super clean like you see in online videos. Should I throw it out or go ahead and oil it up to use as a spare?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
As I understand it, No-Toil cleaner only works if No-Toil filter oil was used on the filter. I would try using UNI filter cleaner or something like that first before I threw away the filter

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Gasoline,coffee can,wring out,let dry...spray with air...oil later and keep as spare.get a pre filter also.Snorkle works great to keep element clean.

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Gasoline,coffee can,wring out,let dry...spray with air...oil later and keep as spare.get a pre filter also.Snorkle works great to keep element clean.
I’m wanting to clean my air filter also, here in middle TN where we ride is really dusty. I read the owners manual and it said to use kerosene or like but not to use gasoline to clean filter. Also don’t have the Honda filter oil either. Don’t have kerosene. I do have the K&N filter oil and cleaner that I use for my truck air filter but I don’t want to harm my p700 filter or engine. Any help is always appreciated! Thanks

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Honestly for know more than it costs I just get a new foam oiled element after pasture burning season each year.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m wanting to clean my air filter also, here in middle TN where we ride is really dusty. I read the owners manual and it said to use kerosene or like but not to use gasoline to clean filter. Also don’t have the Honda filter oil either. Don’t have kerosene. I do have the K&N filter oil and cleaner that I use for my truck air filter but I don’t want to harm my p700 filter or engine. Any help is always appreciated! Thanks
I use gas on bikes and my pioneer filter, it didn't hurt them.I guess diesel would work too. The only thing is with gas is you have to let it dry or the machine will run a little funny till the fumes from the filter die down.Get and extra filter to keep on hand.
The stuff you have for K&N should be ok as well.I put on a snorkel and now my filter is never dirty.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have always used UNI air filter cleaner and oil with great results. You could try the k&n cleaner and see if it works to clean the factory oil. Sometimes only certain cleaners work on certain oils. If the k&n cleaner does work, I see no reason why the k&n oil wouldn’t work. Just be sure you get latex gloves and massage the oil into the filter. It’s smart to have a spare filter oiled and ready to go, as it takes a long time for the filter to air dry after washing it.

Reactions: Sheepdog
R

Rexter

Jul 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I went to service my air filter and it was long overdue. We do a lot of pasture burning in the spring and the filter was black on the outside. Couldn't even tell what color it was supposed to be. Ran to the dealer and bought a new foam element and the No toil kit to clean the factory one. It didn't come super clean like you see in online videos. Should I throw it out or go ahead and oil it up to use as a spare?
Yeah...agree with those that mentioned the snorkel. When I cut the intake inlet off to install the snorkel, there was mud all over the inlet area! I don’t know what Honda was thinking when they put it right in front of a back tire. The snorkel helps keep gravel road and trail dust out too, not just water.

Reactions: Sheepdog
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have cleaned them with purple cleaner from auto parts with great results yesterday I cleaned it with dawn dishwashing liquid and it worked great.

Reactions: swsebek
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use gas on bikes and my pioneer filter, it didn't hurt them.I guess diesel would work too. The only thing is with gas is you have to let it dry or the machine will run a little funny till the fumes from the filter die down.Get and extra filter to keep on hand.
The stuff you have for K&N should be ok as well.I put on a snorkel and now my filter is never dirty.
Ok great thank you

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have always used UNI air filter cleaner and oil with great results. You could try the k&n cleaner and see if it works to clean the factory oil. Sometimes only certain cleaners work on certain oils. If the k&n cleaner does work, I see no reason why the k&n oil wouldn’t work. Just be sure you get latex gloves and massage the oil into the filter. It’s smart to have a spare filter oiled and ready to go, as it takes a long time for the filter to air dry after washing it.
Ok great thank you

Reactions: Tflynn
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
K&N is a different type of material and you're not supposed to use that type of oil on the foam stock filter. The Honda filter oil is super tacky, but as someone said, using the same brand cleaner and oil seems to work best.
I've also used Dawn to clean with good results, and in my experience, the filter will stain.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
K&N is a different type of material and you're not supposed to use that type of oil on the foam stock filter. The Honda filter oil is super tacky, but as someone said, using the same brand cleaner and oil seems to work best.
I've also used Dawn to clean with good results, and in my experience, the filter will stain.

Ok thanks for chiming in DG. I figured air filter oil was all more or less the same, good to know it’s not.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok thanks for chiming in DG. I figured air filter oil was all more or less the same, good to know it’s not.
"They" say not to use it. "They" also happen to sell the stuff, so take that for what you will.
It definitely seems to be different stuff.

I'm normally not big on factory labeled stuff, but Hondaline foam filter oil may be the exception. That stuff is like super glue that never dries. Super tacky. Might be the best for trapping dirt.

Last edited:
B

big31moe

Jul 28, 2014
Yeah, the snorkel really helps the P700 suck in less dust.
I spent the afternoon running pvc from the airfilter box all the way to the front just above the radiator. I took the intake noise away and the main filter (in the filter box) is still clean. I put a filter on the intake up front and am very pleased with he outcome.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!