Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I am contemplating putting air ride suspension on the rear of my 1000-3 pioneer so that I can adjust it on the go and level it out any time I need to. I know I could get some self leveling shocks off the 5 seater but I don't think they will quite do the job. When I put a lot of weight in the back it squats really bad and I want to adjust the ride height to quickly and easily.

I'd like an air adjustable coil over shock like an AFCO but may have to use one thats air only.

Here are some links to give you an idea.
Shocks: Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks 49106
Compressor: http://www.carparts.com/details/Air...8MxnytkdZL_wCd4zKFRoC3MgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the same compressor that runs the air bags on my truck. It does the job and I could install the gauge/switch combo to adjust on the fly.

So what are your thoughts folks???? I don't know what the ride quality will be like but I also don't want to spend a grand on new shocks.

Anyone out there thought of doing something like this?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 500 air suspension mod seems to work pretty well give it a shot, like to see your thoughts after it’s done.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 500 air suspension mod seems to work pretty well give it a shot, like to see your thoughts after it’s done.
I'm not familiar with this.. ...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think they'd work ok in conjunction with springs. The shock itself being straight air would be really poor off road in comparison to a combo and fluid would be smoother action then air I would think.
Curious though to see, everything starts with an idea and might be very interesting to play around with. Seems to be very reasonable

Last edited:
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If we had a lot of travel air bag (not air shocks) suspension would be great. A buddy of mine built a chain drive buggy with a crazy amount of front and rear travel and used air bag suspension with good shocks. This thing rides like a Cadillac on the trails and can be raised (aired) up if more clearance is needed.

All shocks are designed to do is control the suspension, it's the spring's job to hold the rig up.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If we had a lot of travel air bag (not air shocks) suspension would be great. A buddy of mine built a chain drive buggy with a crazy amount of front and rear travel and used air bag suspension with good shocks. This thing rides like a Cadillac on the trails and can be raised (aired) up if more clearance is needed.

All shocks are designed to do is control the suspension, it's the spring's job to hold the rig up.
You have any pics of this rig? I'd like to see how he did the bags.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

advertisement
J

JTW

I’m gunna bet it will be cheaper to buy aftermarket shocks by the time it’s all said and done. I would sure try the PK5 self levelers first though...

Reactions: moparornocar
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd have to agree that aftermarket shocks will offer easier adjustment than air shocks with greater likelihood of handling a dynamic load but the air shocks would be able to adjust real quick. In the end, Honda already provided a design that can adjust height on it's own based on weight and it works really well. My only complaint is the initial spring rate unloaded is a bit stiff and it causes some wheel hop if you have no payload and you enjoy lots of throttle. For the average Joe or a moderate pace it's pretty hard to beat the P1k5 load leveling shocks.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m gunna bet it will be cheaper to buy aftermarket shocks by the time it’s all said and done. I would sure try the PK5 self levelers first though...

I don't really want to try several options....but i might. Air shocks and a compressor are going to be about $400...Ish. I want to try to get it right the first time. Word on the street is the self levelers are ok but still not perfect. They don't have the ability to pump them selves up. You have to go over bumps and each time the rear end rises up it adjusts a little more. If I put 1000lbs of Sh!+ in the back I don't want to have to hit a bump at 30mph just to bounce the back end high enough it can self level.

I like the aftermarket shocks. I'm sure they ride amazing. I have 2 hang ups. I don't want to crank the pre load to level it out every time I put stuff in the back. In all honesty its probably not a huuuuuge issue.
Second, I like trying crazy, different, maybe even silly....Stuff. Ok and I dont want to spend $1500 on a pair of shocks.

I like the IDEA that: I can hit a button to adjust the shocks at anytime and can adjust ride height at any time in a matter of seconds. I like convenience and I'm kinda lazy....there I said it. lol
I don't expect them to ride like a set of $1500 shocks either.

The question is can I do something like that at a reasonable cost and have it function the way I imagine....? :confused:

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my experience with the load leveling shocks any motion of the shock can change ride height. It really doesn't take more than a few corners or a short drive at any speed to change the height.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd have to agree that aftermarket shocks will offer easier adjustment than air shocks with greater likelihood of handling a dynamic load but the air shocks would be able to adjust real quick. In the end, Honda already provided a design that can adjust height on it's own based on weight and it works really well. My only complaint is the initial spring rate unloaded is a bit stiff and it causes some wheel hop if you have no payload and you enjoy lots of throttle. For the average Joe or a moderate pace it's pretty hard to beat the P1k5 load leveling shocks.

My understanding is that the more weight you have in the back the poorer they are at leveling.....I'm still contemplating buying them.
Essentially they don't pump themselves up though. You have to drive a bit and as the machine bounces it self levels. Someone tell me if I have this all wrong, but that is the way I understand it. So come deer season and I have a few deer and a couple guys sitting in the back I could easily hit 1,000 lbs or more. I don't really want to bounce it enough to where it self levels.....Maybe I just have them hold on for one BIG bounce then we're good to go lol.

I could be completely wrong on this. Someone feel free to straighten me out of that's the case. I want to get as much info as I can to make the right decision here.

Thanks for all the input so far!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my experience towing my 2000lb trailer with 300-500 lbs tongue weight the machine will initially squat but just the bounce on to the road will level it out. You don't feel it working but if you've moved or turned the internal shock pressure and valve setup will begin to level the suspension. You don't have to jump the machine or pound bumps to have it work. Just normal driving and body roll will raise the machine to ride height in short order. These machines only have about 7" of usable shock travel in compression which allow for only 10" of tire travel so the difference in height from 0 to 1000 lbs is at most 1 to 2" anyway.

Reactions: JTW and Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In my experience with the load leveling shocks any motion of the shock can change ride height. It really doesn't take more than a few corners or a short drive at any speed to change the height.

Someone had posted about testing this was it you? So lets just say the shocks ride height is at 18". Meaning the shock is extended to 18". I load crap in the back and squat it down to 13". Do I need to get it to bounce up to or past the 18" mark for it to hold level? Or are you saying that just the moving and rocking side to side helps it work out?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In my experience towing my 2000lb trailer with 300-500 lbs tongue weight the machine will initially squat but just the bounce on to the road will level it out. You don't feel it working but if you've moved or turned the internal shock pressure and valve setup will begin to level the suspension. You don't have to jump the machine or pound bumps to have it work. Just normal driving and body roll will raise the machine to ride height in short order. These machines only have about 7" of usable shock travel in compression which allow for only 10" of tire travel so the difference in height from 0 to 1000 lbs is at most 1 to 2" anyway.

when I did the RRB to windrock ride with all our camping crap in the back it was squatting TERRIBLE with the regular ol 3 seater crappy factory shocks. It looked like a polaris with the tires tilted in at the top.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!