ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Someone had posted about testing this was it you? So lets just say the shocks ride height is at 18". Meaning the shock is extended to 18". I load crap in the back and squat it down to 13". Do I need to get it to bounce up to or past the 18" mark for it to hold level? Or are you saying that just the moving and rocking side to side helps it work out?

Just moving or rocking side to side will begin to raise the height.

J

JTW

when I did the RRB to windrock ride with all our camping crap in the back it was squatting TERRIBLE with the regular ol 3 seater crappy factory shocks. It looked like a polaris with the tires tilted in at the top.
Anybody have any PK5 rear shocks to get rid of? Cutout will be at the takeover and he’s a good cuddlier!!!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody have any PK5 rear shocks to get rid of? Cutout will be at the takeover and he’s a good cuddlier!!!
Like these?

IMG 20171104 185830765

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My understanding is that the more weight you have in the back the poorer they are at leveling.....I'm still contemplating buying them.
Essentially they don't pump themselves up though. You have to drive a bit and as the machine bounces it self levels... Someone tell me if I have this all wrong, but that is the way I understand it. So come deer season and I have a few deer and a couple guys sitting in the back I could easily hit 1,000 lbs or more. I don't really want to bounce it enough to where it self levels.....Maybe I just have them hold on for one BIG bounce then we're good to go lol.
So lets just say the shocks ride height is at 18". Meaning the shock is extended to 18". I load crap in the back and squat it down to 13". Do I need to get it to bounce up to, or past the 18" mark for it to get back to level? Or does just the moving and rocking side to side help it work out?
I could be completely wrong on this. Someone feel free to straighten me out of that's the case. I want to get as much info as I can to make the right decision here.

Hey @joeymt33 @knuckledeep @Kilo427 What's your input on this? Will they level back out with 1000lbs in the back?

Reactions: moparornocar
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey @joeymt33 @knuckledeep @Kilo427 What's your input on this? Will they level back out with 1000lbs in the back?
I dont belive they will level out on there own they can not hold a lot of weight if you used them with the factory shock you would have better luck thats why on trucks they use air shocks to help the factory springs

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sure this was a thousand pounds, but once she rolled it popped up good.
IMG 5012

They did well for us. Even with the 7 seater they held up to that very well, didn't sag much. My main b**** was the front shocks and I wanted them gone. Switched out the backs to fox as well and they seem to control the ride just fine(Not quite as well as levelers but close) and the ride is better

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was going to buy Todd's a few weeks ago and got scared. That's why he's lobbying so hard that they are the answer. ;)

No. In all honesty I wouldn't wish a low volume and low capacity air suspension system upon my worst enemy. They have a track record of being a maintenance pain in the ass and failing at the least convenient times. If you look at vehicles with these systems Chevy suburban, Lincoln Town car, expedition and navigator, the air ride suspension just doesn't work well. Any leak will easily overcome the available volume of air the small compressor can out put.

The post with the Pioneer full of wood is a good one. I've done that to mine as well and the system leveled right out once we got rolling. The front shocks quickly become the limiting factor.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No. In all honesty I wouldn't wish a low volume and low capacity air suspension system upon my worst enemy. They have a track record of being a maintenance pain in the ass and failing at the least convenient times. If you look at vehicles with these systems Chevy suburban, Lincoln Town car, expedition and navigator, the air ride suspension just doesn't work well. Any leak will easily overcome the available volume of air the small compressor can out put.

The post with the Pioneer full of wood is a good one. I've done that to mine as well the the system leveled right out once we got rolling. The front shocks quickly become the limiting factor.
Agreed on the front shocks! The only thing scary about running that weight was the front shocks falling on thier face on corners and especially during braking but backs were fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: knuckledeep
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

The post with the Pioneer full of wood is a good one. I've done that to mine as well the the system leveled right out once we got rolling. The front shocks quickly become the limiting factor.
Just giving you crap. I also worry about moisture f***ng the whole thing up as well. These are all valid points. Maybe I should just give yours a try.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

advertisement
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Agreed on the front shocks! The only thing scary about running that weight was the front shocks falling on thier face on corners and especially during braking but backs were fine.
Just to be clear @CumminsPusher the shocks your takling about are the self leveling factory shocks

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sure this was a thousand pounds, but once she rolled it popped up good.
View attachment 58302
They did well for us. Even with the 7 seater they held up to that very well, didn't sag much. My main b**** was the front shocks and I wanted them gone. Switched out the backs to fox as well and they seem to control the ride just fine(Not quite as well as levelers but close) and the ride is better
Good pic. Remember how crappy mine looked loaded down squatted on the ride.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just to be clear @CumminsPusher the shocks your takling about are the self leveling factory shocks
Yes those were. The Fox seems to take it pretty good though

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good pic. Remember how crappy mine looked on the ride.

Ya. Big difference on load leveling. It's pretty instant on adjusting

Reactions: knuckledeep
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good pic. Remember how crappy mine looked loaded down squatted on the ride.

It was bad, I followed you quite a few times. 5 seater load levelers are a very cheap and easy answer to your issue. 100 bucks and a factory fit vs much more and having to fiddledick with fabbing it up

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It was bad, I followed you quite a few times. 5 seater load levelers are a very cheap and easy answer to your issue. 100 bucks and a factory fit vs much more and having to fiddledick with fabbing it up
Where are these at for a hundred bucks?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!