AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome. Congratulations! You won't regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Whatcha think?? Give us the low down!

Well...

I have about 20 miles on it. Most of them were up and down that hill you can see in the first picture. My wife really likes it. My dogs REALLY, REALLY like it.

Me.....

There are some things that I really like and some things that I don't.

-Suspension is MUCH better than I was thinking it was going to be, of course, I drive like an old man so that doesn't take much. :)
-Noise level is MUCH lower than I thought it was going to be, wind noise is WAY louder than the machine at 20 MPH, my wife and I could easily hold a conversation at normal speaking voices at our preferred riding speeds
-Seat is very comfortable and it is very, very easy to get into and out of
-I didn't have any foot cramps or fatigue even though I was going fairly slow
-Seatbelts are much nicer than the ones in the Wolverine
-Low range first gear is plenty of engine braking for me, high range is a little too fast for my liking
-Shifting wasn't anywhere near as loud as the first unit we tried
-Headlights are super bright
-Side netting worked out good to keep the morons (dogs) in the bed long enough for them to realize how much fun it was
-Awesome turning radius, it feels like it is tighter than my lawn mower
-Turf mode works great, no tearing up the yard at all
-EPS is awesome, I put it in Diff Lock 4WD and went down the hill and came back up just to make sure that it engaged and while I could tell that it was slightly harder to turn than in turf, it was still no real work
-I also found the engine noise/vibration to be non-existent, especially compared to the Wolverine. The thumper in the Wolverine had a particularly annoying vibration and Honda was very smooth, even nicer than the Kawi on my JD mower

Dislikes:

-HOT! It wasn't as bad as I feared but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was very much like riding on my Rincon. It won't drive me out of the cab but I can definitely tell it is there. I don't like the fact that it is coming from both the front and the rear. I am going to wait and see what Honda comes up with but I think I may have some ideas of what I can do to make it better. I do work in the NFRC industry but it is annoying that I need to do that on something that I paid this much for
-Those stupid nets....
-While I don't mind the shifting, at times, when under a load, the gearbox whines and literally sounds like my grade school bus used to sound. I think we had a 1950's or '60's Chevy bus and it would do the same Waaww, wawwww, wawww under a load starting out. I don't hate it, but it is sometimes pretty loud
-Brakes are terrible, I had to check to make sure that it actually had fluid in it. I don't remember the other two we tested have brakes that felt so stiff and non-existent at the same time. There is no pedal travel at all and you have to be pretty forceful to get it to stop. Luckily because of the engine braking it doesn't really need much but man, my Rincon had much more "fluffy" brakes. Is there a pedal adjustment?
-The Honda CV guards are terrible designs. The front doesn't really cover the CV boot at all but I looked online and neither does anyone else's design either. So I guess I just need to keep an eye on the outside boots on the front
-No storage on board to speak of, I wish it had some other places to put stuff. I hate to have to buy that bag to put stuff in but I haven't looked under the seats yet
-For what it costs, the bedliner really isn't that great

All in all, I do like it so far. Not as much as I had hoped but I like it better than I was worried that I would.

I am planning on going to the farm this weekend, if it isn't pouring rain, and taking my brother out and about to get his opinion.

Last edited:
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
:p:D:p:p:p
Well...

I have about 20 miles on it. Most of them were up and down that hill you can see in the first picture. My wife really likes it. My dogs REALLY, REALLY like it.

Me.....

There are some things that I really like and some things that I don't.

-Suspension is MUCH better than I was thinking it was going to be, of course, I drive like an old man so that doesn't take much. :)
-Noise level is MUCH lower than I thought it was going to be, wind noise is WAY louder than the machine at 20 MPH, my wife and I could easily hold a conversation at normal speaking voices at our preferred riding speeds
-Seat is very comfortable and it is very, very easy to get into and out of
-I didn't have any foot cramps or fatigue even though I was going fairly slow
-Seatbelts are much nicer than the ones in the Wolverine
-Low range first gear is plenty of engine braking for me, high range is a little too fast for my liking
-Shifting wasn't anywhere near as loud as the first unit we tried
-Headlights are super bright
-Side netting worked out good to keep the morons (dogs) in the bed long enough for them to realize how much fun it was
-Awesome turning radius, it feels like it is tighter than my lawn mower
-Turf mode works great, no tearing up the yard at all
-EPS is awesome, I put it in Diff Lock 4WD and went down the hill and came back up just to make sure that it engaged and while I could tell that it was slightly harder to turn than in turf, it was still no real work

Dislikes:

-HOT! It wasn't as bad as I feared but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was very much like riding on my Rincon. It won't drive me out of the cab but I can definitely tell it is there. I don't like the fact that it is coming from both the front and the rear. I am going to wait and see what Honda comes up with but I think I may have some ideas of what I can do to make it better. I do work in the NFRC industry but it is annoying that I need to do that on something that I paid this much for
-Those stupid nets....
-While I don't mind the shifting, at times, when under a load, the gearbox whines and literally sounds like my grade school bus used to sound. I think we had a 1950's or '60's Chevy bus and it would do the same Waaww, wawwww, wawww under a load starting out. I don't hate it, but it is sometimes pretty loud
-Brakes are terrible, I had to check to make sure that it actually had fluid in it. I don't remember the other two we tested have brakes that felt so stiff and non-existent at the same time. There is no pedal travel at all and you have to be pretty forceful to get it to stop. Luckily because of the engine braking it doesn't really need much but man, my Rincon had much more "fluffy" brakes. Is there a pedal adjustment?
-The Honda CV guards are either terrible designs or they are put on backwards, I am going to make a separate thread about them
-No storage on board to speak of, I wish it had some other places to put stuff. I hate to have to buy that bag to put stuff in but I haven't looked under the seats yet
-For what it costs, the bedliner really isn't that great

All in all, I do like it so far. Not as much as I had hoped but I like it better than I was worried that I would.

I am planning on going to the farm this weekend, if it isn't pouring rain, and taking my brother out and about to get his opinion.
I understand a little worry but come on you know if you were trying as hard to have fun as you were trying not to you would;):p:D congrats on ride...very nice

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Take those front nets out first of all my daughter went straight for those. Change diff fluid to heavy at change of oil you'll like that a lot of noise will be mellowed. Brakes should get better a bit as you use them. There is storage under your seat pretty easily accessible. We actually haven't torn a boot yet on a 1000 and I only seem to remember a couple people that have but you'd still get home. The heat...come on Honda. Most is easily fixable or just needs some time to quiet you knew all of it. Now drive the piss out of her so it breaks in quicker! Congrats I'm glad to see it next to the lake!

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
:p:D:p:p:p
I understand a little worry but come on you know if you were trying as hard to have fun as you were trying not to you would;):p:D congrats on ride...very nice
just playing... I been talking bout tires,winches,and lifts since December

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All in all that's not a bad 20 mile review. All the dislikes you addressed have been addressed on this forum and have potential fixes! So to really experience what this remarkable machine can do I suggest going out by yourself and driving it..."like you stole it!" Guarantee you will have a smile on your face afterward.:)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's what I think, his description of the brakes does not sound like he is describing the brakes on my machine.

I am going to check for pinched brake lines and to see if there is any interference with any of the calipers tonight.

I feels like a car that has lost vacuum on power brakes. It will stop, but you have to stand on them and they don't engage until you basically bottom out the brake. I think I would have noticed that on the other 2 units that I drove if it had been present then.

Maybe the brake cables are out of adjustment so they don't engage when they should?

I didn't really use the brakes at all last night other than in just a few instances. Usually just letting off the accelerator is enough to slow it down for me.

Something doesn't seem right, however because it definitely doesn't stop as good as my Rincon used to and I am very familiar with the brakes on the Rincon considering the hill I live on.;)

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am going to check for pinched brake lines and to see if there is any interference with any of the calipers tonight.

I feels like a car that has lost vacuum on power brakes. It will stop, but you have to stand on them and they don't engage until you basically bottom out the brake. I think I would have noticed that on the other 2 units that I drove if it had been present then.

Maybe the brake cables are out of adjustment so they don't engage when they should?

I didn't really use the brakes at all last night other than in just a few instances. Usually just letting off the accelerator is enough to slow it down for me.

Something doesn't seem right, however because it definitely doesn't stop as good as my Rincon used to and I am very familiar with the brakes on the Rincon considering the hill I live on.;)
Does it feel like they just didn't bleed all the air out of the system

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All in all that's not a bad 20 mile review. All the dislikes you addressed have been addressed on this forum and have potential fixes! So to really experience what this remarkable machine can do I suggest going out by yourself and driving it..."like you stole it!" Guarantee you will have a smile on your face afterward.:)
Full agreement! Drive it hard! That's not what you say with a few rigs...but this one hell yes. It'll work things in quicker not to mention the most important one,your smile

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes usually it is soft but that's the easiest check. sounds more like master cylinder problem but weird to see that in something new. Put a couple miles on it being kinda hard on them. One persons not good is another's too good. I wish someone with a 1000 was close to you to compare

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes usually it is soft but that's the easiest check. Put a couple miles on it being kinda hard on them. One persons not good is another's too good. I wish someone with a 1000 was close to you to compare

It could just be that I wasn't using the brakes much on the other two that I test drove. I never got more than 10 MPH on them and only one of them was on hills. My hills are a little more steep than the ones I test drove on. :)

It will stop the machine, even on my steep hills, I was just expecting the pedal to not be quite so hard and the stopping power to be better.

When you apply the brakes on your, do you have to really push down on them or can you just rest your foot on it and get it to start slowing down?

If I put as much "oomph" into throttling as I do on stopping I would have whiplash this morning. :)

I guess it is a good thing my wife forced me to get the 4 year extended warranty.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It could just be that I wasn't using the brakes much on the other two that I test drove. I never got more than 10 MPH on them and only one of them was on hills. My hills are a little more steep than the ones I test drove on. :)

It will stop the machine, even on my steep hills, I was just expecting the pedal to not be quite so hard and the stopping power to be better.

When you apply the brakes on your, do you have to really push down on them or can you just rest your foot on it and get it to start slowing down?

If I put as much "oomph" into throttling as I do on stopping I would have whiplash this morning. :)

I guess it is a good thing my wife forced me to get the 4 year extended warranty.
Definitely stiffer than a car/truck.
Mine would not stop just resting weight of foot against pedal, but neither would my dad's Ranger, FIL's Ranger, etc. They seem about the same as the Wolverine. You definitely have to stand on it to stop one on a hill in comparison with a car/truck/SUV IMO.
I don't notice it as I guess I'm used to it being that way on the SxS's. If it feels way stiffer than the Wolverine, Teryx, etc. you drove - you may indeed have an issue.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What 500 said. I'll tell you what though I punctured my front brake line this last weekend had to put a bolt in the master on the fronts just to have any brakes at all and still drove it hard with maybe 30% stopping-makes you REALLY appreciate the engine braking in this beast!

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Definitely stiffer than a car/truck.
Mine would not stop just resting weight of foot against pedal, but neither would my dad's Ranger, FIL's Ranger, etc. They seem about the same as the Wolverine. You definitely have to stand on it to stop one on a hill in comparison with a car/truck/SUV IMO.
I don't notice it as I guess I'm used to it being that way on the SxS's. If it feels way stiffer than the Wolverine, Teryx, etc. you drove - you may indeed have an issue.

I didn't get to test any of them on a really steep hill like the one behind my house. The closest was a Pioneer I tested at Bob's House of Honda but that slope was about 1/3 as steep as mine and I was pretty much creeping along in 1st gear.

I didn't really do much braking on flat areas last night, I just coasted to a stop most of the time. Well, actually, truth be told, I didn't really stop much. :D;)

I just noticed it seemed to take more effort than I was expecting to get the thing to stop. But considering it is stopping nearly a ton, especially with my fat butt, my wife and two dogs in there and that is a lot to stop on a 15 Degree plus hill with just a pedal.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't get to test any of them on a really steep hill like the one behind my house. The closest was a Pioneer I tested at Bob's House of Honda but that slope was about 1/3 as steep as mine and I was pretty much creeping along in 1st gear.

I didn't really do much braking on flat areas last night, I just coasted to a stop most of the time. Well, actually, truth be told, I didn't really stop much. :D;)

I just noticed it seemed to take more effort than I was expecting to get the thing to stop. But considering it is stopping nearly a ton, especially with my fat butt, my wife and two dogs in there and that is a lot to stop on a 15 Degree plus hill with just a pedal.
On an unrelated note - I have always broken my rides in easily, but the guys here are correct in saying don't be leery of driving it aggressively mixed in with your cruising. Once I got to around 70 miles, I began running it in sport mode to help wear everything in before my first service at a little over 100 miles, and after multiple uses at higher RPMs the shifting began improving and "learning." Couple this with the first service, and everything seemed to gel around 150 miles. Next up is some thicker dope in the rear-end, and I imagine It'll be even quieter. My rear-end whine is still there as you alluded to, however the "chatter" has gone away almost 100%.

advertisement