P1000 Aluminum skid plate noise??

J

JTW

Ok.. so I ordered full aluminum skids and a arm guards from S&S today..
IMG 2086
My question is how much noise do you pick up with the aluminum skids? And do you think sound dampaneing material on the upper side would help quiet it down?
This is the stuff I'm considering using.. anyone foresee any issues?
Amazon.com: Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening: Automotive

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok.. so I ordered full aluminum skids and a arm guards from S&S today..
View attachment 30207
My question is how much noise do you pick up with the aluminum skids? And do you think sound dampaneing material on the upper side would help quiet it down?
This is the stuff I'm considering using.. anyone foresee any issues?
Amazon.com: Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening: Automotive
You'll get a little with aluminum but not near as much as roof adds. This is what stereo is for. Insulation under driver seat probably best bet but you may be on to something with sound deadening under there

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

You'll get a little with aluminum but not near as much as roof adds. This is what stereo is for. Insulation under driver seat probably best bet but you may be on to something with sound deadening under there
I've got some left over under the seat material I'm going to add when I do my fan.. I just wondered if the deadener on the plate would help with both gravel noise and engine echo.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is a significant difference in noise inside the cab between my red one and the white one. The red one has Dynomat on every piece of plastic I could stick it on around the engine compartment plus the heat shield under the seat and the white one has nothing. So I would say that a heat shield with sound deadening capabilities would be a good investment.

As for the skid plate making the cab have more engine noise, I think that is a true statement but I did not take measurements before and after to quantify.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh, one more thing. I think that plastic will absorb sound better than aluminum. So when aluminum or another type of metal is used for a roof or skid plates, it can contribute two more noise inside the cab.

Again, I've got nothing to prove this. this is just my opinion.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I honestly didn't pay any attention to the noise when I installed my aluminum skids, but Joey's theory seems sound. I agree that the plastic would dampen noise better than the metal.

J

JTW

Ok.. I'll give it a shot.. I ordered 36sqft and will line the skid with it. If the material works well and I need more I'll do the seat area with it.. I'll post my findings.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok.. I'll give it a shot.. I ordered 36sqft and will line the skid with it. If the material works well and I need more I'll do the seat area with it.. I'll post my findings.

I'd focus on the largest sections without bolt holes and the areas behind the front tires in order to maximized the sound dampening. I'd have some concerns about putting the material between the skid plate at the frame at the mounting hole locations but I doubt you will be able to avoid it. As a heads up the stock bolts are only 12mm long so adding dynamat and the aluminum skids, you may want 16mm fasteners. I ordered 20mm fasteners to go with my 3/8" UHMW. I also went with UHMW to have a slicker bottom and more sound deadening.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I'd focus on the largest sections without bolt holes and the areas behind the front tires in order to maximized the sound dampening. I'd have some concerns about putting the material between the skid plate at the frame at the mounting hole locations but I doubt you will be able to avoid it. As a heads up the stock bolts are only 12mm long so adding dynamat and the aluminum skids, you may want 16mm fasteners. I ordered 20mm fasteners to go with my 3/8" UHMW. I also went with UHMW to have a slicker bottom and more sound deadening.
I wasn't planning on outing it between the frame and skid but you bring up a good point.. I wonder if that would be necessary to even make it worth while? My thought is to line the aluminum with thin uhmw if necessary.

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wasn't planning on outing it between the frame and skid but you bring up a good point.. I wonder if that would be necessary to even make it worth while? My thought is to line the aluminum with thin uhmw if necessary.

Why did you go with aluminum instead of UHMW?

J

JTW

Why did you go with aluminum instead of UHMW?
I personally like the idea of metal better.. and it was $750 shipped for full skids and both sets of a arm guards.. they're also powder coated and have a 5 year warranty. The guy that makes them is in also in ky. So if I have an issue it can be taken care of more easily. I also liked the idea of doing a cheap poly that can be replaced over the aluminum, like the bottom of an air boat if needed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!