P1000 P-1000 Skid Plate

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has the factory skid plate, it's aluminum, about 1/4" thick (didn't measure). Don't plan to replace it any time soon as I don't crawl rocks.

Reactions: ChadD
brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine has the factory skid plate, it's aluminum, about 1/4" thick (didn't measure). Don't plan to replace it any time soon as I don't crawl rocks.
Same here. It's definitely between 1/8" and 3/16" plate. From the factory, mine has aluminum plate on the LCA's measuring around .140 (like 10 gauge plate) -- the long plate on the under belly is around .160 (like 9 gauge). Plenty for me.

G

Gohonda2

Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2022
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Rivet Nuts require their own stud and not the original OEM metric self threading screws , correct?? What screws are you using with the rivet nuts?
They come in standard or metric sizes.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Rivet Nuts require their own stud and not the original OEM metric self threading screws , correct?? What screws are you using with the rivet nuts?

To be clear, rivet nuts typically install with a male thread mandrel in the size of the rivet's female thread - the same size as the machine thread on the screws/or bolt you will be using. In the case of skid plate, and many of the other fasteners on the P1K, that's be 6mm (about the same diameter as a 1/4" bolt). The size hole you drill in the frame will be larger than that to accommodate the rivet. So, depending on the size rivet nut you choose, the fasteners can be metric, like the other fasteners, or SAE etc,

Reactions: Homer and packer58
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use quite a few rivnuts on various projects and they are great, for the first time user it would be a little spooky drilling an oversized hole for the fastener though. Just use a little common sense and don't over seat the rivet and run the chance of breaking the mandrel.
Rivnuts are very solid fasteners and easy to install after a very short learning curve...

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious, what does your factory skid look like? Is there some thin stamped steel skid on some models, or plastic or something?

I have a 1k5 deluxe and mine is maybe 1/8" thick plastic. If I remember right (and I'm sure someone can correct me) the limited edition is the only model with an aluminum skid plate from the factory. The factory plastic one is junk....

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use quite a few rivnuts on various projects and they are great, for the first time user it would be a little spooky drilling an oversized hole for the fastener though. Just use a little common sense and don't over seat the rivet and run the chance of breaking the mandrel.
Rivnuts are very solid fasteners and easy to install after a very short learning curve...

Exactly. That, and you can always tighten up the rivet nut more if need be. The lightbar brackets in the pic are installed using rivnuts that go through just the outer wall of the roll cage gusset. I didn't want to use longer bolts through both sides of the gusset and then have them squeeze the gusset walls together. This ended up very sturdy.

20210804 222122
20210806 122901

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Exactly. That, and you can always tighten up the rivet nut more if need be. The lightbar brackets in the pic are installed using rivnuts that go through just the outer wall of the roll cage gusset. I didn't want to use longer bolts through both sides of the gusset and then have them squeeze the gusset walls together. This ended up very sturdy.

View attachment 349970View attachment 349971

Very nice, another tip for the rust conscious folks is that after drilling for the rivet you can apply a little primer / paint before installing the rivet......

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rivet nuts have come up several times for skid plate installation, and it would cretainly be easier than welding in flange nuts...

But my concern would be the corrosion these bolts/nuts would be subject to, and then the prospect of the rivet nut spinning when trying to get the bolt out.

What do you guys think?

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Rivet nuts have come up several times for skid plate installation, and it would cretainly be easier than welding in flange nuts...

But my concern would be the corrosion these bolts/nuts would be subject to, and then the prospect of the rivet nut spinning when trying to get the bolt out.

What do you guys think?
In my opinion..... all fasteners that are subject to the least amount of corrosion should get an ample dose of antisiese.....

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

What do you guys think?

Anti-Seize on fastener threads is good insurance.

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for weighing in on the rivnut issue. I have ordered several 6mm, but may I ask are you all using the special tools or some of the “poor man” methods on YouTube?

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The tools are cheap enough to not bother with poor man style.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for weighing in on the rivnut issue. I have ordered several 6mm, but may I ask are you all using the special tools or some of the “poor man” methods on YouTube?
I am literally using this tool as we speak to install the SuperATV skid. I got the rear, front, and left side finished last night and ran out of daylight. The machine is still sitting here and I will finish it tomorrow morning. I made the mistake and forgot to order bolts and over paid at Westlakes $1.16 each for the bolts I forgot. You may need a few longer ones than others. I used 20mm on most I could for what Westlakes had in stock and then 25mm worked without issue for the remaining count I needed. I think I used 4 longer 30mm in some spots.

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VRLL8KX?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://amazon.com/Keadic-150Pcs-Metric-Threaded-Nutsert/dp/B07HCV2DSC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://amazon.com/M6-1-0-Flanged-Flange-Hexagon-Screws/dp/B093GR46NT/?tag=sxsweb24-20

IMG20220902151123

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice jack stand…… I like your style ..
I was home for this addition and attempted to lift it with the L3301 and it lifted the rear up even with the brush hog attached. So I did this instesd. I ran it up with ramps and the rear tires just touched the edge. I had to pull the ramps out with the magnum. I should have it done tomorrow.

IMG20220902150511

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a disclaimer, rear wheels were blocked and Jack stands were added to the trailer edge frame before I ever went under it.

Also super highly recommend high end drill bits. The frame on these are hard to drill. I started my holes with 1/4" bit and followed them with a 23/64" to install the rivnuts.

Reactions: WagginTail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!