P1000 AMC's Camo 1000-5

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel ya there. I'm only getting my associates right now, I'm burnt out on school stuff, and can work full time now. I finished my last final Tuesday and have one class this summer to complete my degree.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What did you get your degree in? I see that you went to ASU Beebe, and I assume its Ag related. I got my Bachelor's in agricultural business with concentration in management and marketing last year, and I am completing my Master's in Agri Economics currently here at the U of A in Fayetteville. I plan on moving back to Little Rock in the next couple of weeks, I'll sure miss all the trail systems up here in the Ozark's being so close.

Reactions: Tot
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
What did you get your degree in? I see that you went to ASU Beebe, and I assume its Ag related. I got my Bachelor's in agricultural business with concentration in management and marketing last year, and I am completing my Master's in Agri Economics currently here at the U of A in Fayetteville. I plan on moving back to Little Rock in the next couple of weeks, I'll sure miss all the trail systems up here in the Ozark's being so close.
Associates, Agricultural Business. I kinda want the 4 year degree, I mean I'm half way there, but I'm burnt out and I'm not about to pay Jonesboro tution and not do good. I may take a couple classes a semester and stretch it out, but I'm not going back full time

I'm working on our family farm now, which is what I'll be doing forever basically lol. I'm learning more of the business side of things now instead of just the grunt work

Reactions: pct
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Little update.

Got my snorkel from Triangle ATV installed. Included 2 bellows for the diffs, a vent line that was run inside the cage for the sub-trans, a line that uses check valves for the fuel tank vent (One line tapped to air box to suck in clean dry air when tank empties T-d off with one that dumps out air towards the ground when the tank is being filled back up, interesting method), a check valve for the turf mode box, a loop for the crankcase vent to prevent any water that got in airbox from dumping into crank case (literally splices in the middle of the factory connection from motor to airobx and loops up around the airbox), air intake snorkel with a drain feature at the lowest point, an open-loop system for the fan motor and coolant-overflow bottle mounted under hood (Didn't know the coolant bottle required such a vent) and finally dielectric grease for everything under the hood and under the driver's seat. Overall I am happy with the kit, very thorough, but I hated sitting through a 35 minute install video without paper instructions.

I did everything according to their recommendations except the air intake, as I didn't like how it looked. Haven't decided how I am going to finish it yet, but I kinda like how it is now. It is only siliconed up until the last straight piece so I can play with it later. It still dies with my hand over the opening the way it is. Only way I could see it being an issue is if I got sideways into a deep rut/mud hole on the passenger side only. It clears the bed just fine and I am a big ol boy at 6'3 230 and it doesn't bother me at all when sitting in the passenger seat. Kinda love how it sounds under a load/heavy throttle too. Might turn the 90 towards the driver seat and run the opening to the middle of the cab area along the top of the seat-back, but kinda hate to run that much 2" and have the motor sucking for air. We will see.

IMG 5105 zpsditnvser
IMG 5106 zpswcyg9pox
IMG 5107 zps6bgbkb5h

Had to adjust the front 4wd/2wd selector cable on the diff as well, as it would not come out of 4wd/4wd lock. Loosened it up a bit and it allowed the selector lever to drop put of 4wd as it should. I bet the service tech at the dealership tightened it too much at my first service, as I hadn't had a chance to really get it out since then until today.

A big storm came through a few weeks ago so I am finally getting around to cleaning up our small 25 acre patch we have here in town. Gunna be a big job for one person and one saw. But, the Pioneer will finally have its work cut out for it!

IMG 5104 2 zpsenbblzvy
IMG 5097 2 zpsqo3qxw1e
IMG 5099 2 zpsarppneb7
IMG 5100 1 zpsegxvzpjt

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Looking good! I love the intake sound of mine under throttle!

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Needed to put up a little update since its been awhile. Haven't had time to add anything to the rig in awhile, just using it for what its meant for, and that has been work now that I am back in Little Rock.

I added my snorkel tip that has a screen built in to repel large debris and water splashes. It added about 2" of length to the end and so I had to turn it towards the inside so it would clear the bedsides when it tilts, but I think it will help keep it from sucking in mud or water whenever hunting season comes around. Might still extended to the middle of the rig and turn it up behind the middle seat, but I am going to wait until I get the soft mid panel before I set anything in stone.

FullSizeRender zpsdp4nkkro
IMG 5231 zpsrz24n72p
IMG 5233 zpsyff9upul
IMG 5237 zpsi1o5g5jp
IMG 5239 zpsawuuexra
IMG 5240 zpsmgzgj2ec

I will be ordering the soft mid panel and some LED cubes for the rear and a 50-52" light bar for the front soon so I can finally wire up my PDM, switches, and switch panel from mystic that I have had for months waiting to go in.

I cant decide if I want to put the 50" light bar at the bottom of the roll bar or the top though, any thoughts?

Reactions: Tot and joeymt33
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Man AMC, I have to admit I'm jealous. You have that thing set up pretty tough. It looks like a hard working/ do it all machine. I've read your previous reviews, but now after some time what can you tell me about the P1000? You still like it?

I keep going back and forth between the teryx 4 and the p1000-5. The engine is louder in the teryx, but the transmission and gear whine is louder in the pioneer. The Pioneer has more power and is more capable for utility, but the teryx will probably catch my wife's eye better with the bucket seats and a bit better looking. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man AMC, I have to admit I'm jealous. You have that thing set up pretty tough. It looks like a hard working/ do it all machine. I've read your previous reviews, but now after some time what can you tell me about the P1000? You still like it?

I keep going back and forth between the teryx 4 and the p1000-5. The engine is louder in the teryx, but the transmission and gear whine is louder in the pioneer. The Pioneer has more power and is more capable for utility, but the teryx will probably catch my wife's eye better with the bucket seats and a bit better looking. What are your thoughts?

I still really enjoy the P1000, especially now that I have it back at the farm where I use it much more often, from clearing trees to just riding around doing little chores, its a great rig. And then on any weekend I can take it out on the trails and know it will go where ever I need it to go. It may not go down the trail as fast as my RZR did, but I was never too big on speed anyway. The only thing I think it needs is some better shocks, but for 2500 bucks or whatever Walker Evans is charging, I'll deal with the rougher ride. I still haven't got it in any deep mud, but I am sure I will soon as the closest ATV park to me now is all mud, and I'll be anxious to see how it does.

As far as the teryx goes, I have seen some people be happy with them, some aren't. I for one don't care for the looks of them at all, but thats just my opinion. I wish the Pioneer had a fold down center console to kind of create bucket seats in the front, that would be awesome. But I need the availability of the bench seat when duck hunting becuase the decoys, guns, and other gear will occupy the back, and we may have 3-4 people hunting at a time.

In all honesty, if I was buying a different rig and wanted bucket seats, I would get the Polaris General. If it had a bench seat option and one available in camo, I probably would have bought it.

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Those are STI Outback Max, 30x10x14. I love them. However, I did have 32" Super ATV Intimidators on my RZR 1000, and they were good tires as well. But I think these tires pull harder and measure to the stated size, my Intimdators were short by an inch. These are also 8 ply versus 6 ply for intimidators. I like the looks of these a tad bit more as well.
Do you have a lift to fit the 30's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have a lift to fit the 30's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I tried the 2" Strongmade with stock wheels first, and it rubbed so bad it was impossible to drive. So I bought the CATVOS front and rear arched a-arms. They only lifted the bike about 1" from stock, but push the front tires out 2" from stock. These 30's measure out close to 31" at 10 PSI too and they dont rub at all now.

rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I came from a teryx4 and there no absolutely no way the pioneer tranny and gear whine is louder........anything over 25mph or if under load you had to yell to talk to passengers......I can cruise 45 on my pioneer and talk in a normal voice....

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Yes, I tried the 2" Strongmade with stock wheels first, and it rubbed so bad it was impossible to drive. So I bought the CATVOS front and rear arched a-arms. They only lifted the bike about 1" from stock, but push the front tires out 2" from stock. These 30's measure out close to 31" at 10 PSI too and they dont rub at all now.
So this is arched a arms catvos, 30" outbacks on what wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I came from a teryx4 and there no absolutely no way the pioneer tranny and gear whine is louder........anything over 25mph or if under load you had to yell to talk to passengers......I can cruise 45 on my pioneer and talk in a normal voice....

Thanks for the input. Please feel free to share anything else. The cheaper price and bucket seats have me looking at the teryx again, but my heart goes to the Honda.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not intending to derail, but for 2016 the teryx now comes with helical rear gears instead of straight cut. Should not be any noise associated with the rear end anymore. I wish Honda had used that on the Pioneer - maybe in a few years they will go to that to quieten down the rear end. The 2016 teryx 4 is a strong competitor to the Pioneer 1000 IMO, except that they only have it in an 800. A cousin of mine is in the middle of deciding between a teryx4 and a P1K5, and I'm not sure he won't go with the kawi. Hard to overlook the 3 year warranty on top of that.

AMC - my apologies again! Your rig is looking really good! Are those catvos heim joints holding tight and what is the life expectancy on them? I just recently had a couple tire punctures and stepped up to sti roctanes, stock size on stock rims, and was worried about possibly rubbing my FUTV skid plate. So just in case, I also had a set of highlifter forward arms sitting ready to go. BUT, we just rode 80 miles the 4th of july weekend and no rubbing. I still think I will install the highlifter arms though. Those things are really built stout.

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input. Please feel free to share anything else. The cheaper price and bucket seats have me looking at the teryx again, but my heart goes to the Honda.

I don't know much about Kawasaki products, but I will say that the farm I used to work on had an old mule that rode like sh*t and was slower than a snail, but you could not kill it if you tried. That being said, when it needed parts, they seemed extremely expensive. I think the only way I would consider a Teryx is if they came out with a 1000 model, or I would always wishing I had the Pioneer.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not intending to derail, but for 2016 the teryx now comes with helical rear gears instead of straight cut. Should not be any noise associated with the rear end anymore. I wish Honda had used that on the Pioneer - maybe in a few years they will go to that to quieten down the rear end. The 2016 teryx 4 is a strong competitor to the Pioneer 1000 IMO, except that they only have it in an 800. A cousin of mine is in the middle of deciding between a teryx4 and a P1K5, and I'm not sure he won't go with the kawi. Hard to overlook the 3 year warranty on top of that.

AMC - my apologies again! Your rig is looking really good! Are those catvos heim joints holding tight and what is the life expectancy on them? I just recently had a couple tire punctures and stepped up to sti roctanes, stock size on stock rims, and was worried about possibly rubbing my FUTV skid plate. So just in case, I also had a set of highlifter forward arms sitting ready to go. BUT, we just rode 80 miles the 4th of july weekend and no rubbing. I still think I will install the highlifter arms though. Those things are really built stout.

Waylan

No problem Waylexa, thanks for the compliment. Yes, so far the heim joints are holding up pretty well, and the only thing I have to do to keep them from squeaking is spray some WD-40 on them after each ride that they get wet on. So really just every time I wash it because it stays at the farm lately and that means its dirty. I figure I will not have to replace the heims before I sell it. I don't keep these type of vehicles very long, I didn't even have my RZR HighLifter for a whole year. I always want the next big thing that comes out, so we'll see what Honda and the competitors deliver in the next few months but It would still have to make sense for me before I sell, as I don't need something like the Yamaha YXZ.

I think the arched a-arms a good investment, and if you get the fronts I would recommend getting the rears when they come out too. If I hadn't of had 30's installed at the dealership before I knew how bad they would rub on just a 2" lift, I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get the A-arms from CATVOS and saved around 500 bucks by buying the HL front and rear arms and lift but that's all water under the bridge now. The only thing I hate about the CATVOS arms is the adjustability of the heim joints to get the camber and toe of both the front and rear tires going straight. On the rear, you have to take the whole arm off just to turn them half a turn. Its a real pain, but I guess it could be handy if you stacked a lift or changed shocks down the road with these arms as well.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!