Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Finally got some time to work on the Pioneer. The original EMP winch mount did not allow enough room between the winch and the bumper to completely seat the mount on the bumper without severe modification, and the bolts that secure side brackets were rubbing on the winch drum itself. So after a phone call or two and some discussion with EMP, we decided if the mount was flipped around and carriage bolts were used instead of standard bolts, the mount should work, and it did. Almost. But EMP sent me the new mount without any questions asked and without sending back the original mount.

Here are the pics:
View attachment 13101

You can see the addition of four more holes behind the ones I have winch bolts in, which would allow the winch to be pushed back even further, but at that location my winch drum interfered with the side brackets.
View attachment 13102

View attachment 13103
View attachment 13104
View attachment 13105
View attachment 13106
No Winch line angle hardly at all
View attachment 13107
View attachment 13108

However, where the U bolts are supposed to mount around the frame and the bracket has caused some problems. The new mount's u-bolt location was moved up, and now the mounting holes interfere with a cross support welded to the frame. I may be able to bend the EMP tabs down a bit to clear the cross member, but havent tried yet.
View attachment 13109
View attachment 13110
View attachment 13111

Finally, I noticed one more issue after two rides on my CATVOS a-arms, where the shock tab and bolt on the passenger side is rubbing on the inside of the tire at hard right turns. It does not occur nearly as bad or as often from what I can tell on the drivers side when turning left. I guess there are differences in the arms from production. Nothing an aftermarket wheel wont fix but I was hoping to maintain my 63" track width.
Passenger
View attachment 13112
Driver
View attachment 13113

Still gotta wire the winch up as well as install my switch plate from mystic and my PDM. Also changing out the Honda half windshield, it turned out to be too short for someone that is 6'3.

Thanks for the heads up on the tire rub. I'll check mine out today.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey AMC did you try to put the bolt trough the other way put the but forward you might gain a little bit but dont know if it would be enough
just a thought

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey AMC did you try to put the bolt trough the other way put the but forward you might gain a little bit but dont know if it would be enough
just a thought

That's probably what I'll end up doing in the end.

Reactions: pct
I

ihfan75

Mar 31, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Finally got some time to work on the Pioneer. The original EMP winch mount did not allow enough room between the winch and the bumper to completely seat the mount on the bumper without severe modification, and the bolts that secure side brackets were rubbing on the winch drum itself. So after a phone call or two and some discussion with EMP, we decided if the mount was flipped around and carriage bolts were used instead of standard bolts, the mount should work, and it did. Almost. But EMP sent me the new mount without any questions asked and without sending back the original mount.

Here are the pics:
View attachment 13101

You can see the addition of four more holes behind the ones I have winch bolts in, which would allow the winch to be pushed back even further, but at that location my winch drum interfered with the side brackets.
View attachment 13102

View attachment 13103
View attachment 13104
View attachment 13105
View attachment 13106
No Winch line angle hardly at all
View attachment 13107
View attachment 13108

However, where the U bolts are supposed to mount around the frame and the bracket has caused some problems. The new mount's u-bolt location was moved up, and now the mounting holes interfere with a cross support welded to the frame. I may be able to bend the EMP tabs down a bit to clear the cross member, but havent tried yet.
View attachment 13109
View attachment 13110
View attachment 13111

Finally, I noticed one more issue after two rides on my CATVOS a-arms, where the shock tab and bolt on the passenger side is rubbing on the inside of the tire at hard right turns. It does not occur nearly as bad or as often from what I can tell on the drivers side when turning left. I guess there are differences in the arms from production. Nothing an aftermarket wheel wont fix but I was hoping to maintain my 63" track width.
Passenger
View attachment 13112
Driver
View attachment 13113

Still gotta wire the winch up as well as install my switch plate from mystic and my PDM. Also changing out the Honda half windshield, it turned out to be too short for someone that is 6'3.
Did you try just flipping the shock bolt around so the head is towards the outside (tire)?

Reactions: joeymt33
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you try just flipping the shock bolt around so the head is towards the outside (tire)?

Thats what I plan on doing. Gotta adjust the rear control arms a little as well while I'm under there.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally wired up the winch and plug, just haven't wired in my switch panel and PDM yet, but I've got it set where my plug is easily accessible until I decide I want to tackle all the other wiring. I don't have any other additional electrical accessories to add for now so I'll probably wait until I pull the plug on a front light bar and some rear back up cubes.

Anyway, here are the pics.

IMG 4865 zpsjhtqwz5f

IMG 4866 zpsv327lndf

Plug on driver's side under steering wheel to the left. Wanted it easily accessible from outside the rig.

IMG 4868 zpssv0ryx10

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome. Did you trim the power cables to the winch (blue and yellow) to length, and if so did you solder new end terminals on or just crimp? Mine is hooked up but I haven't trimmed them to length yet - I have the excess rolled up sitting where the spare battery "may" go one day. I skipped the plug and went straight for the toggle switch in a switch plate by mystic.

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I trimmed the cable and crimped them, the factory connections are crimped too. I always try my best to tug and pull on my crimped connections and if I cant pull the wire out by force I never doubt them.

I will have the switch in my plate from Mystic as well, already have everything I need, just didn't feel like tackling that large of a project yet. I am away from home in college and I don't have my dremel to use to cut the hole in the plastic for the panel either.

I remember using the winch plug on my RZR quite a bit when I wasnt comfortable getting in the vehicle under certain winching conditions, or when I was deep in some mud hole without the proper clothing on, (brrrr) So I figured I needed to keep it as an option.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes sense about the winch plug.

Now that you have had your Pioneer for a few months how do you compare it to the rzr? For my family it was down to a rzr4 or the P1K5. In the end the shorter wheelbase, much tighter turning radius, turf mode, and some other little perks sold us on the Honda. We were going to come up to Mt. Magazine end of march/1st of april, but we had a death in the family and had to change plans at the last minute.

Thanks,

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes sense about the winch plug.

Now that you have had your Pioneer for a few months how do you compare it to the rzr? For my family it was down to a rzr4 or the P1K5. In the end the shorter wheelbase, much tighter turning radius, turf mode, and some other little perks sold us on the Honda. We were going to come up to Mt. Magazine end of march/1st of april, but we had a death in the family and had to change plans at the last minute.

Thanks,

Waylan

I'll be honest, my High Lifter Edition RZR on 32" Intimidators was a blast to drive on the trails and in the mud. The extra low gearing, high clearance A-arms, and factory snorkels really made it a great vehicle for everything I do, from rock crawling in the Ozarks to mud riding in South Arkansas. Never had a bit of problem with it and the Pioneer doesn't hold a candle to it on the trails, mainly because of the suspension. I will definitely spring for some FOX Shocks if they ever come out, because I think they would make the world of difference. I need to work on some solution to the jolting in the throttle pedal as I go over large rocks and obstacles, because it makes the ride seem that much worse at times.

However, from the first of October to the end of January, I only used the RZR for hunting purposes, and it was just about more trouble than it was worth. Couldn't move deer stands, corn, feeders, etc during deer season with little bed space and no hitch, and then it could hardly hold 2 dozen duck decoys through he rice fields we hunt. On top of that, it was impossible to move more than two people at a time during duck season, and I rarely hunted with less than three or four. This is where the Pioneer will really shine. I just couldn't justify keeping the RZR for purely recreational trail riding, when I needed something that could do both. I really like the Polaris General, and if it came in camo I probably would have bought one, but still being able to only haul 2 people at a time was a deal breaker as well.

Sorry to hear about the family misfortune, those are always difficult. Hope all is well as it can be. There are always other opportunities to ride. My farm where I deer hunt is not far from Magazine, so next time y'all plan to come up, let me know.

advertisement
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I'll be honest, my High Lifter Edition RZR on 32" Intimidators was a blast to drive on the trails and in the mud. The extra low gearing, high clearance A-arms, and factory snorkels really made it a great vehicle for everything I do, from rock crawling in the Ozarks to mud riding in South Arkansas. Never had a bit of problem with it and the Pioneer doesn't hold a candle to it on the trails, mainly because of the suspension. I will definitely spring for some FOX Shocks if they ever come out, because I think they would make the world of difference. I need to work on some solution to the jolting in the throttle pedal as I go over large rocks and obstacles, because it makes the ride seem that much worse at times.

However, from the first of October to the end of January, I only used the RZR for hunting purposes, and it was just about more trouble than it was worth. Couldn't move deer stands, corn, feeders, etc during deer season with little bed space and no hitch, and then it could hardly hold 2 dozen duck decoys through he rice fields we hunt. On top of that, it was impossible to move more than two people at a time during duck season, and I rarely hunted with less than three or four. This is where the Pioneer will really shine. I just couldn't justify keeping the RZR for purely recreational trail riding, when I needed something that could do both. I really like the Polaris General, and if it came in camo I probably would have bought one, but still being able to only haul 2 people at a time was a deal breaker as well.

Sorry to hear about the family misfortune, those are always difficult. Hope all is well as it can be. There are always other opportunities to ride. My farm where I deer hunt is not far from Magazine, so next time y'all plan to come up, let me know.
I'm curious as to what you come up with for the jerking of the machine. There are times when I slow down around a turn, it down shifts, and I go to get back in it it just jerks like crazy. Half of the time I have to stop and take off again.
As wells as slower more technical stuff it really likes to jerk. In Low 1st over rocks really sucks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks for the great review. How long did you have the rzr and how many miles did you put on it? From what I've read they've made some improvements to the turbo rzr - hoping many of those improvements make it into the non-turbo line-up for 2017.

I am looking forward to some aftermarket shocks too - hopefully someone picks up the ball and runs with it. You think they will make that much of a difference?

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious as to what you come up with for the jerking of the machine. There are times when I slow down around a turn, it down shifts, and I go to get back in it it just jerks like crazy. Half of the time I have to stop and take off again.
As wells as slower more technical stuff it really likes to jerk. In Low 1st over rocks really sucks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Some have used a block or heel support mounted on the floor to eliminate putting so much pressure from your entire foot on the pedal, but I haven't actually looked into anything to solve this issue yet.

Reactions: dotman1 and Tot
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the great review. How long did you have the rzr and how many miles did you put on it? From what I've read they've made some improvements to the turbo rzr - hoping many of those improvements make it into the non-turbo line-up for 2017.

I am looking forward to some aftermarket shocks too - hopefully someone picks up the ball and runs with it. You think they will make that much of a difference?

Waylan

I had it for almost a year, around 400 miles and 50 hours I believe, I can't be sure. I am afraid the turbo is just another thing to go wrong, and I doubt I would ever have anywhere to really open it up enough to get the benefit from it. Most of my riding is slow and technical.

I believe some good shocks would make the world of difference, as the Pioneer has 12" of travel just like the General, and I've seen videos of a General with some 2.0 Fox Shocks and springs from Shock Therapy whomping through the desert at a high speed and it looked pretty smooth. Naturally this would sacrifice towing and weight carrying capacity, but it would be worth it my opinion.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also tried to flip the shock bolts around on the CATVOS UCA's and they still rub on the tire. I think I need to spring for some offset wheels anyway, as the factory wheels are getting really scratched up from rocks since the face of the wheel sticks out so much from the sidewall of the tire.

Reactions: Tot and joeymt33
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Do you still like those Outbacks? The 28's are on my short list to put on stock wheels.
Do they tear up the trail?
I ride alot of hard pack and rocks but want to ready for the sloppy stuff too.

Reactions: dotman1
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you still like those Outbacks? The 28's are on my short list to put on stock wheels.
Do they tear up the trail?
I ride alot of hard pack and rocks but want to ready for the sloppy stuff too.

I do like them, and haven't come across anything they couldn't handle yet. But I've only got about 80 miles on em so far. In turf mode they don't damage the terrain, but they will when the rear end is locked, but most any tire will under those circumstances. I ride mostly rocks and hardpack here in the Ozark mountains where I ride most, but I do spend time in river bottoms and flooded rice fields, still like them. They aren't quite as smooth as my Intimidators were, but they are more aggressive and an 8ply tire instead of 6.

Reactions: ghost
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordering a set of STI HD6 soon in 14x7 to mount up with my OutBack's, same wheels I had on my RZR. I really liked the MSA Vibe wheels as well, but they have an offset of 3.5/3.5, which is just way too much. These are 5+2. Stock wheels are getting tore up and I think a little wider stance will make the whole rig not look quite as tall. I plan to order MudBuster flares while I'm at it as well. Then I should be done for awhile, except for LED's. (I keep telling myself it's going to end soon)

The Pioneer is going on its first hunting trip this weekend for some turkey, and I will probably run over my 100 mile break-in period after this weekend. Let's just hope my tranny doesn't shut down after the first service. It shudders and slips from time to time when shifting, but not enough to really bother me. Hell my truck shifts funny sometimes and its pretty much brand new too. I plan to drive the Honda like I stole it until it really just won't do what I ask it to do, which hasn't happened yet.

HD6 Matte Black w Mill Cuts

Reactions: Tot
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a good weekend riding the Pioneer around the woods for turkey season and racking up some more seat time, everything worked well as it should. I towed my 18 ft car hauler around the farm for the first time and I was impressed for pulling a 2250 pound trailer. It makes me wonder how these things aren't handling 30" tires but can pull 2000+ lbs down the road at speed.

Only complaint comes from the dust in the cab going down any type of dry dirt road. It just swirls around in the cab and gets in your eyes, mouth, everything. I have the Super ATV half windshield that is a couple inches taller than the Honda unit, but I had to remove it to make driving more enjoyable. If I were to add the soft or hard rear panel, would this eliminate or greatly reduce the dust swirl with the half windshield? I have no need for a full windshield, but would like a little relief from the bugs and wind in my face driving at speed. I might add a full glass windshield at some point, but I would only use it during the winter months, so the half windshield will be used 8-10 months out of the year. I just haven't seen anyone run a half windshield with a rear panel of either type. I am hoping that the heat shield/mat that a lot of guys are mounting underneath the seat will help with the swirl somewhat as well.

I reached 130 miles and 18 hours over the weekend, so for the break-in service, the first dealer I called quoted me at $510 bucks! I almost hung up on him. So I called the dealer I bought my rig from and they quoted me $290 plus tax, but that dealership is 120 miles away from me currently. I then called the other dealer here in NWA and they quoted me $325 after tax, so I dropped it off up there. Both dealers also recommended to run conventional Honda oil instead of the synthetic because the polymers in the synthetic could cause a film to develop on the clutch packs and create slippage. I took their word for it and saved a little cash at the same time. I am more than capable of performing my own maintenance on this thing, but with potential warranty issues down the line with the clutch packs, I wanted to avoid any kind of scandal in the future.

Finally, the HD6 wheels I originally wanted from STI are on backorder, and I called everywhere, so I looked around and found some Sedona Storm Beadlocks for 425 shipped from Chaparral Motorsports. I am glad I found them, I like the looks and they are only about 25 bucks more than the STI's with a fully functioning beadlock. I plan to run 5 psi in my outbacks and these wheels since the 10 ply carcass is to stiff. Going to take the wheels up to the servicing dealer when I get them and have the wheels swapped over before I bring it home. Wheels are seen in the attachment below.

Screen Shot 2016 04 26 at 102425 PM

Reactions: Tot
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So did the "other" dealer end up being heartland or the one in Rogers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!