P1000 AMC's Camo 1000-5

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wondering the same. I don't mind butchering stock plastic, but I prefer it to be on a piece that is easily/inexpensively replaced if that location changes later. I got everything installed on mine except the rocker and the receptacle - did not see many places that were not part of a big piece of plastic. Also waiting on my switchplate from mystic to place my rocker switch. In a bind I can hook it up to work temporarily until location is tied down.

Waylan

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Not bad. As I recall it was 4 slotted fasteners to remove the panel under the steering wheel. 2 are hidden by the rubber edging. Once that panel was off I could pull the other panel forward and reach behind.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Wondering the same. I don't mind butchering stock plastic, but I prefer it to be on a piece that is easily/inexpensively replaced if that location changes later. I got everything installed on mine except the rocker and the receptacle - did not see many places that were not part of a big piece of plastic. Also waiting on my switchplate from mystic to place my rocker switch. In a bind I can hook it up to work temporarily until location is tied down.

Waylan
Not sure about removing that piece of plastic. I just reached behind.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my first attempt at aligning the CATVOS set up last night, and man, what a pain in the ass. For what I paid they should fly up here and install and align it for me. I think I got the front pretty close, I gave it a 1/4" toe in because I don't like the idea of a toed out vehicle. Front camber wasn't hard to adjust, relatively speaking.

The rear, however, was a mess. I have to remove the whole a-arm to get it where I can turn the heim joints to adjust. I will probably have to do the rear again because the toe is out of whack. If only these things had stationary bushings. I know I wouldn't be able to adjust it if I make suspension changes down the line, but I just don't have the patience to do something 3-4 times completely in order to get it right. More of a "one and done" type.

Got my wheel spacers in, will mount those up tonight and finalize my alignment changes. The rear may be .25-.5" wider than the front with rear spacers only. Still waiting on my replacement free-spool selector from warn, so it wont be mounted in time for my first trail ride tomorrow. Guess I'll have to take it easy, but I am really looking forward to see how it does with these 30's in the rocky Ozarks.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First trail ride finally happened on Friday, and I was certainly more impressed in more ways than I was disappointed. The terrain was really rocky for the most part, so it took some time to get used to the poorer ride quality than I am used to, but thats expected with a utility SXS. However, I would be extremely interested in replacement shocks if someone like ELKA or Fox cam out with some, it would make a world of difference.

Also hated the seat-heat. It was a cool 55 degrees here on Friday and I could feel it on my back and butt the whole day. It would have been miserable at 80-90 degrees. Will have to figure something out there that won't be affected by water and mud.

Also took some time to get used to the throttle response, and by the end of that day my ankle was sore from keeping my heal on the floor board and using as little foot as I could as I hit the throttle. Each bump in the trail would move my foot enough to blurp the throttle which made the bumps worse. I'll get used to it I though.

I made it 21 miles in 3 hours, and GoPro'd the whole thing, I'll get all the clips edited with the best trail videos to show what this thing can do in the rocks. It handled the 30's fine, but you have to keep your momentum up. No stopping and starting on a serious incline or large obstacle or the tranny wont like it. I also shifted in between 2wd-4wd-4wd lock all day on the fly and I was extremely happy with how well it worked.

Another thing, these 30's still rub in the front under the right conditions. Maybe wouldn't with offset wheels, but I loved not getting soaked with every puddle I went through. These same trails would require me to bring an extra pair of clothes in the truck to ride home with the Rzr. Not this rig, so it will stay at 63" wide.

Only picture I got.

IMG 4663 1 zpspw39rdgz

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Super nice! I am looking forward to the video.

Reactions: amc019
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the update!

Interesting comment on the seat heat. We rode 3 or so hours one afternoon with temps in the low 70's and I didn't really notice it. I have been in a canam commander and the center console seemed to really throw some heat off so I've been watching to see how the Honda does.

Waylan

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Sweet picture!

My Commander was HORRIBLE about heat when going slow speeds. I did some riding this weekend around the back roads and the only time I felt heat was when I got on the highway.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's strange. Sometimes I have the seat heat and others I don't. Have you done the initial service AMC?

advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know Canned-Hams have a bad reputation for their seat-heat, but as do most center-engine SXS's. We'll see if it gets any better or worse as the riding season gets warmer. I know I would miss it when duck and deer season come back around next year!

I have not done my first service yet, only got around 30 miles on the rig so far. Hopefully I'll be able to get out again this weekend. I'll work on cutting up the video as well.

Got my replacement parts for the winch this morning, and I'll get that installed tomorrow evening after I give her a quick bath.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to install my Super ATV winch mount, and I am disappointed. First, SATV did not send me enough bolts, and what ones they did send me were the wrong thread count for the factory nut inserts. However, the biggest issue was how the ProVantage mounted to the plate. Apparently the motor on this winch is shorter than the one from SATV, so the studs where the power wires bolt to the motor were hitting the frame tubes where the bumper slides in when I had the mount positioned all the way to the top (slotted mounting holes on the plate). At the lowest setting, the studs would clear the frame by maybe 1/2". At that height, the rope was at such angle to the fairlead that the rope was rubbing the top cross bolt on the winch drum, and still would at the highest setting anyway.

So, back to the drawing board. Not sure what mount to go with next. Maybe a different type of winch will work with the SATV mount, but not mine, or at least not in a way I was confident with.

SATV mount is for sale if anyone wants to give it a try.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the trial and error. I was really interested in the SATV mount, but the unconventional approach and the stress that it would place on the winch bolts had me a little worried. I ended up getting the KFI and it seems ok. I hope the aftermarket provides a nice winch bumper that mounts securely without adding alot of length to the bike. I know I can't have it all but that's my hope.

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the trial and error. I was really interested in the SATV mount, but the unconventional approach and the stress that it would place on the winch bolts had me a little worried. I ended up getting the KFI and it seems ok. I hope the aftermarket provides a nice winch bumper that mounts securely without adding alot of length to the bike. I know I can't have it all but that's my hope.

Waylan

Yes, a full replacement winch bumper would be nice. But I already spent the extra coin on the Honda Heavy-Duty brush gaurd, and like the protection it provides. So hopefully, something like EMP's new winch mount will work out.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I realize what you were talking about "seat heat" today. I was riding with a buddy across our farms and then took my mom out for a ride in the new rig and she noticed warm air coming up from under the seat up the back kinda

Reactions: pct
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I went riding again last Friday, no complaints. Just a little more of the seat heat issue which I will deal with if it really bothers me that much when it gets warmer. Went up some pretty tough terrain in places, so I was proud of her. Now as long as clutches stay together I will be okay, there were a few times in the rocks that I lost momentum or couldn't accelerate up an obstacle where you could really tell the clutch didnt like where it was at, but with some extra throttle she'd turn the tires over and keep moving. Not sure how much of that kind of abuse it will take before I start experiencing problems. Need to go drive it around in High and Low some to see if it is shuddering more or less, or if my shift points have changed because I never use high gear on the trails. Only time I used it was when I hit a gravel road and you can't really ease the rig into moving without it shuttering.

Also ordered the EMP winch mount today. I was concerned with how easy it would be to engage and disengage the spool clutch, but I realize that unless I get a full replacement bumper its gunna have to be something I gotta deal with. I could always trim the plastic part of the body that bolts to the bumper on the side if it's that hard, but with as much as I plan to use the winch I should be fine.

I've got a shorter video of my ride from Friday that I'll put up soon.

Also got my PDM, switches, and PDM solenoid in. Now just waiting on my switch plate from mystic. Going a little different route than some with how I wire everything up, so we'll see how it works out. I hope to do the winch and all the other wiring at the same time.

Also gotta go adjust the rear control arms again, as the rear tires are towed out towards the front of the vehicle, and lean a little bit out at the top. Really not looking forward to that.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got some time to work on the Pioneer. The original EMP winch mount did not allow enough room between the winch and the bumper to completely seat the mount on the bumper without severe modification, and the bolts that secure side brackets were rubbing on the winch drum itself. So after a phone call or two and some discussion with EMP, we decided if the mount was flipped around and carriage bolts were used instead of standard bolts, the mount should work, and it did. Almost. But EMP sent me the new mount without any questions asked and without sending back the original mount.

Here are the pics:
IMG 4814 zpsuvsy4osj

You can see the addition of four more holes behind the ones I have winch bolts in, which would allow the winch to be pushed back even further, but at that location my winch drum interfered with the side brackets.
IMG 4815 zpscxhxnaoa

IMG 4816 zpsnfaxxnuo
IMG 4817 zpsph9ljpxn
IMG 4820 zps2muoxmsv
IMG 4828 zpsgkynrgvn
No Winch line angle hardly at all
IMG 4821 zpshdlsthoo
IMG 4823 zpsdpizyweg

However, where the U bolts are supposed to mount around the frame and the bracket has caused some problems. The new mount's u-bolt location was moved up, and now the mounting holes interfere with a cross support welded to the frame. I may be able to bend the EMP tabs down a bit to clear the cross member, but havent tried yet.
IMG 4830 zpsswnimlqy
IMG 4829 zpsnax9lpop
IMG 4825 zpsshpt7dz5

Finally, I noticed one more issue after two rides on my CATVOS a-arms, where the shock tab and bolt on the passenger side is rubbing on the inside of the tire at hard right turns. It does not occur nearly as bad or as often from what I can tell on the drivers side when turning left. I guess there are differences in the arms from production. Nothing an aftermarket wheel wont fix but I was hoping to maintain my 63" track width.
Passenger
IMG 4826 zpswmdi8zfg
Driver
IMG 4819 zpszqcmwjtu

Still gotta wire the winch up as well as install my switch plate from mystic and my PDM. Also changing out the Honda half windshield, it turned out to be too short for someone that is 6'3.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!