P1000 AMC's Camo 1000-5

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So did the "other" dealer end up being heartland or the one in Rogers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heartland quoted me the $510, Rainbow got me in a $325. And I made sure they planned to do the same service; valve clearance, oils, etc. and they all literally read from an identical list of stuff they do on the first service. Heartland was nice about it, but they just were too expensive. Even when I went to Heartland to look at the 1000's when I decided I wanted one, they wouldn't work with me on price at all. I told them what I could get one for elsewhere, and they pretty much said go for it. Lost a customer for life, bad business.

Reactions: dotman1 and pct
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. Same exact experience on everything you said from heartland. I bought at rainbow and they did my first service. Just curious if my experience was different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
To your question about dust. Yes adding the soft or hard panel will cut down on dust a lot! I have the soft rear panel on mine. Some dust will get in but I would say 90% doesn't. Driving through cut grass there is very little that come back in, most of it stays in the bed. There will be some from under the doors, but not much

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pic of the rear panel.
580a47e4bb9b7eaf39afbd10e3013049

Reactions: pct and amc019
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Had a good weekend riding the Pioneer around the woods for turkey season and racking up some more seat time, everything worked well as it should. I towed my 18 ft car hauler around the farm for the first time and I was impressed for pulling a 2250 pound trailer. It makes me wonder how these things aren't handling 30" tires but can pull 2000+ lbs down the road at speed.

Only complaint comes from the dust in the cab going down any type of dry dirt road. It just swirls around in the cab and gets in your eyes, mouth, everything. I have the Super ATV half windshield that is a couple inches taller than the Honda unit, but I had to remove it to make driving more enjoyable. If I were to add the soft or hard rear panel, would this eliminate or greatly reduce the dust swirl with the half windshield? I have no need for a full windshield, but would like a little relief from the bugs and wind in my face driving at speed. I might add a full glass windshield at some point, but I would only use it during the winter months, so the half windshield will be used 8-10 months out of the year. I just haven't seen anyone run a half windshield with a rear panel of either type. I am hoping that the heat shield/mat that a lot of guys are mounting underneath the seat will help with the swirl somewhat as well.

I reached 130 miles and 18 hours over the weekend, so for the break-in service, the first dealer I called quoted me at $510 bucks! I almost hung up on him. So I called the dealer I bought my rig from and they quoted me $290 plus tax, but that dealership is 120 miles away from me currently. I then called the other dealer here in NWA and they quoted me $325 after tax, so I dropped it off up there. Both dealers also recommended to run conventional Honda oil instead of the synthetic because the polymers in the synthetic could cause a film to develop on the clutch packs and create slippage. I took their word for it and saved a little cash at the same time. I am more than capable of performing my own maintenance on this thing, but with potential warranty issues down the line with the clutch packs, I wanted to avoid any kind of scandal in the future.

Finally, the HD6 wheels I originally wanted from STI are on backorder, and I called everywhere, so I looked around and found some Sedona Storm Beadlocks for 425 shipped from Chaparral Motorsports. I am glad I found them, I like the looks and they are only about 25 bucks more than the STI's with a fully functioning beadlock. I plan to run 5 psi in my outbacks and these wheels since the 10 ply carcass is to stiff. Going to take the wheels up to the servicing dealer when I get them and have the wheels swapped over before I bring it home. Wheels are seen in the attachment below.

View attachment 14313
Those prices make me feel like a missed something while I did my service. It took me a couple hours but I worked very slow the first time around. Gonna go read the manual again - make sure I got everything.
I didnt check valve clearance but probably wont unless I have symptoms.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those prices make me feel like a missed something while I did my service. It took me a couple hours but I worked very slow the first time around. Gonna go read the manual again - make sure I got everything.
I didnt check valve clearance but probably wont unless I have symptoms.

I doubt you missed anything, its really nothing more than the engine oil, filters, valve clearance, and then just looking over everything. About 2.5 hours of labor plus parts. Most shops charge 90-100 an hour shop rate, so it makes sense to be around $300.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my wheels mounted, but I am waiting for new lugnuts for the front to really get them on for good. The dealership had some replacement rears for the studs on my wheel spacers, but not in the thread count for the front. I never thought to make sure a 3/4" socket would fit in the wheel holes with the lug nuts I ordered to replace the factory ones, but It did not. The dealer had some 12mm-1.25 in a 17mm socket size to fit the rear, but had to hand-tighten the stock 12mm-1.5 nuts in the 3/4" size on the front just to get it on the trailer and off. I ordered some additional 12mm-1.5 lugs in the 17mm size for the front to match the rear which should be here Thursday, and I will get some better pictures then.

IMG 4945 5 zps3pplg7ui

IMG 4946 1 zpsvb0zltfp

The first service ended up being $350, but then they charged me $160 bucks to demount my stock rims and mount my beadlocks. It was too late to disagree at this point because I wanted them on there, but it kinda pissed me off. The service tech also made a spontaneous trip to the bank before I got there, so everything was delayed quite a bit. The service manager told me to be there by 3:30 to deliver the wheels to get mounted, and when I got there at 3:45 the tech wasn't there and the bike was still in pieces. I doubt he checked either front or rear diff or did anything besides change the oil, but I specifically asked about the valve clearance and he said it was good, but I have no way of knowing if he actually checked it or not. Only reason I know he changed the oil was because he left quite a bit of oil on the skid plate where he drained it that continued to drip onto my garage floor once I got home. I ended up leaving at 6:15 after sitting there for over two hours waiting for them to finish.

Anyway, I also ordered a snorkel kit from Triangle ATV today, and I only ordered from them instead of High Lifter because HL's kit is on backorder until May 16th apparently, and I have a big ride/event planned on the 14th in Bryant, Ar at Carter's Offroad Park that I would not attend with the factory intake location. I am hoping I can customize it such that it looks a little better than it does on their website, and it hopefully wont interfere with the passenger too much. It was $175 Shipped and comes with an installation video, bellows, and everything else. Should be here this time next week.

Dscf6015 zps1s2rearp

I have one of the heat shields for underneath the seat that the guy off the Facebook group is making on the way too, I'll be interested to see if that helps much or how long it lasts with mud and water splashed on it. For 25 bucks I figured it was worth a shot. I will probably tuck the extra bit of the flaps up underneath the plastic piece behind the seat.
13139246 1315907945105006 6079342257847515765 n zpspu3su4de

Some sort of rear panel and the mud buster flares are the next accessories in line.

I also plan to finally tear down the rear a-arms so that I can realign them before the ride next weekend, as I have been putting that off for months.

Reactions: pct, ghost and Tot
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Dang man they screwed you on the dismount and remount on your wheels! $20 a wheel to dismount and $20 to remount.

I'll be waiting to see what you come up with on the snorkel. I thought about that one because of how cheap it was, but I thought it stuck out a little too much as well.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yuck - the snorkel on that Triangle site looks terrible. Is that black duct tape holding it together next to the passenger seat?

I think your camo looks awesome with those tires / rims.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang man they screwed you on the dismount and remount on your wheels! $20 a wheel to dismount and $20 to remount.

I'll be waiting to see what you come up with on the snorkel. I thought about that one because of how cheap it was, but I thought it stuck out a little too much as well.

Yeah I agree, but the beadlocks are kind of a pain, 20 bolts for each wheel. Still, I never imagined it would be over 100 bucks and I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible by the time they were done, or I would have argued with them about it.

Reactions: pct and Tot
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yuck - the snorkel on that Triangle site looks terrible. Is that black duct tape holding it together next to the passenger seat?

I think your camo looks awesome with those tires / rims.

I agree, nothing I have seen I really like the looks of, even the high lifter. However, I think the I can customize the kit to exit behind the upper seatbelt mount instead of up and over it like some sort of snake. No tape used, all PVC so I guess that's just the crappy angle of the picture. I just got a little impatient so I ordered it. I think I can get pretty enginuitive once I have the pieces in my hands. I wont need to extend it all the way to to the top of the roof like that.

Thanks for the compliment, I am pretty proud with how it is turning out.

Reactions: Tot
advertisement
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
If I were to order a snorkel it would have been the one from eBay. I like how is hidden

Can't wait to see what you come up with

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@amc019

I love your pioneer, every time I see I can't help but think how bad a$$ it looks. I think the 3 sweaters look a lot better and the camo really sets it off.

Those tires are 28" right? Have you taken an actual measurement with the vehicle weight on them. Also, what's your impression of them? Are they stable at 40-50mph?

Sent from my iPhone 10s

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@amc019

I love your pioneer, every time I see I can't help but think how bad a$$ it looks. I think the 3 sweaters look a lot better and the camo really sets it off.

Those tires are 28" right? Have you taken an actual measurement with the vehicle weight on them. Also, what's your impression of them? Are they stable at 40-50mph?

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Thanks! I appreciate it. I agree, the camo helps and the three seat looks better, especially with a roof. I am going to have 4 people and a cooler with me on my next ride and I am anxious to see how it looks without a roof but with the rear cage bolted back on for the first time since I bought it. I'll be sure to grab some more pics.

Those tires are 30x10x14 actually, and measure about 30.75 with 10PSI in them, but 30" exactly at 8. They have like 6 in them in that picture with the bead locks, going to air them up to 7 before my next ride. I have had them up to 52 MPH according to the dash, and they ride fine. I doubt any other bias ATV tire feels any better, especially with how stiff they are.

Actually, that reminds me, with the 30's, my rig topped out at 52mph on the dash much like @JACKAL 's did with his. Just wouldn't rev up any further than that in 6th gear in high, must be a Rev Limiter in 6th gear. But I think 52 on the dash with 30's is closer to 60mph.

Reactions: sharp and chadbo
bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! I appreciate it. I agree, the camo helps and the three seat looks better, especially with a roof. I am going to have 4 people and a cooler with me on my next ride and I am anxious to see how it looks without a roof but with the rear cage bolted back on for the first time since I bought it. I'll be sure to grab some more pics.

Those tires are 30x10x14 actually, and measure about 30.75 with 10PSI in them, but 30" exactly at 8. They have like 6 in them in that picture with the bead locks, going to air them up to 7 before my next ride. I have had them up to 52 MPH according to the dash, and they ride fine. I doubt any other bias ATV tire feels any better, especially with how stiff they are.

Actually, that reminds me, with the 30's, my rig topped out at 52mph on the dash much like @JACKAL 's did with his. Just wouldn't rev up any further than that in 6th gear in high, must be a Rev Limiter in 6th gear. But I think 52 on the dash with 30's is closer to 60mph.

Has anyone done the reset after changing tire size? What was it, you could reset the clutch shift patterns or something? Was just thinking if that may help or change anything.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks for the info. I'm always tire shopping.

@JACKAL says I'm like a woman and her shoes.

Reactions: amc019
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. I'm always tire shopping.

@JACKAL says I'm like a woman and her shoes.
'
Makes sense! I wish I had a set of 30" Roctane's for trail riding and rocks and then the Outbacks for the sticky stuff, but I am happy with them overall. I cant help but love the look of all tires that have directional tread and besides, who ever wants to go backwards anyway?

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
'
Makes sense! I wish I had a set of 30" Roctane's for trail riding and rocks and then the Outbacks for the sticky stuff, but I am happy with them overall. I cant help but love the look of all tires that have directional tread and besides, who ever wants to go backwards anyway?
You can always have more than 1 set of wheels and tires. Heck I have 4 now lol. Truck tires, Roctane XS for trails, OL2s, and the stocks. I do wish I would have got 30 Roctane XS tires instead of 28s oh well. Maybe next year I'll upgrade.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You can always have more than 1 set of wheels and tires. Heck I have 4 now lol. Truck tires, Roctane XS for trails, OL2s, and the stocks. I do wish I would have got 30 Roctane XS tires instead of 28s oh well. Maybe next year I'll upgrade.

I might could help you with the 30" roctanes:)

Reactions: Tot and amc019
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Out of my budget right now. After the last couple of months with this thing, my bank account has taken it pretty hard. Luckily I complete graduate school in a couple weeks, and will be going from zero income to at least some sort of income pretty soon.

Reactions: joeymt33 and Tot
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Out of my budget right now. After the last couple of months with this thing, my bank account has taken it pretty hard. Luckily I complete graduate school in a couple weeks, and will be going from zero income to at least some sort of income pretty soon.

I feel ya there. I'm only getting my associates right now, I'm burnt out on school stuff, and can work full time now. I finished my last final Tuesday and have one class this summer to complete my degree.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!