P1000 Any suggestions?

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok fellows, finished electrical installs a few months ago. Switch plate, hooked up a few accessories. Tried to splice into accessory for a key on under the fuse block but it didn't work and ultimately used a fuse adaptor (forget name, replaced accessory fuse in fuse block with one that a wire lead you can splice into). Everything worked fine but reverse light quit working. Didn't notice this at first. Figured it was where I had used one of the blue squeeze splicers that hadn't fully made contact with the accessory wire under the block. So I kind of forgot about it until the wife said she needed the reverse light in the dark to feed the critters in the morning. Went out this evening, squeezed it a bit, I had left the blue squeeze splice inline with nothing connected to it and taped it up (I know kind of lazy.....). Reverse still didn't work. Removed the blue squeeze adaptor, wire was in tack and taped it up. Light still doesn't work in reverse. I had bought the wire assembly to use for the reverse alarm. Light worked before, not it doesn't. Everything else works for what I can tell. ???????

Reactions: Russ989
D

Deleted member 3748

Ok fellows, finished electrical installs a few months ago. Switch plate, hooked up a few accessories. Tried to splice into accessory for a key on under the fuse block but it didn't work and ultimately used a fuse adaptor (forget name, replaced accessory fuse in fuse block with one that a wire lead you can splice into). Everything worked fine but reverse light quit working. Didn't notice this at first. Figured it was where I had used one of the blue squeeze splicers that hadn't fully made contact with the accessory wire under the block. So I kind of forgot about it until the wife said she needed the reverse light in the dark to feed the critters in the morning. Went out this evening, squeezed it a bit, I had left the blue squeeze splice inline with nothing connected to it and taped it up (I know kind of lazy.....). Reverse still didn't work. Removed the blue squeeze adaptor, wire was in tack and taped it up. Light still doesn't work in reverse. I had bought the wire assembly to use for the reverse alarm. Light worked before, not it doesn't. Everything else works for what I can tell. ???????
The blue squeeze adapter would be my first suspect, but you eliminated that. Did you check the fuses?

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get the volt meter out and get after it! That’s the way I do it.

D

Deleted member 3748

Called myself doing it. Cut wire area out an use a positap to reconnect? Not a lot of wire or space to work with......
What did you use for reverse lights? Can you get a length of wire and apply power to them direct from the battery to see if they work? Then work backwards with a test light or voltmeter (@Russ989 ) and see where it stops working.

advertisement
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you check all of the other fuses? Are you sure that the wire didn’t pull out of the back of the fuse panel? The blue splice clips that pierce the wire insulation are a very poor way to splice a wire. Make sure that the wire is in tact in the area of that splice. Do you have power at the 12 volt accessory plug in the dash?

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you check all of the other fuses? Are you sure that the wire didn’t pull out of the back of the fuse panel? The blue splice clips that pierce the wire insulation are a very poor way to splice a wire. Make sure that the wire is in tact in the area of that splice. Do you have power at the 12 volt accessory plug in the dash?
Will definitely check that too. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You can check continuity with a volt meter, Ive found a lot of problems this way.
I wouldn't use a continuity meter, been there done that! Clipped one lead on my right ear and the other on the left, showed no continuity! HA! I'm just being SMITTY, they are great tools as well as an AMP meter and needle probes for your meter.

D

Deleted member 3748

I wouldn't use a continuity meter, been there done that! Clipped one lead on my right ear and the other on the left, showed no continuity! HA! I'm just being SMITTY, they are great tools as well as an AMP meter and needle probes for your meter.
The needle probe is proportional to your small hands? :D

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The needle probe is proportional to your small hands? :D
You guys crack me up!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
HA! Needle probes to check continuity between connectors ends!
And women love small hands! Makes them think they have huge boobs! HA! Did I just say that? HA!

Reactions: Mudwing
hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure you clipped them to your ears:):):):)

Reactions: Mudwing and Tuco69
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will be checking that thx

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!