Anyone have missing plugs for the frame?

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I notice a few days after I got the p500 on of the frame plugs in the front was missing then the other day before I got to order a replacement the other is missing now my frame is packed with dirt, rocks, snow and icy. Should I silicone new ones in?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought it , I've got extra set of plugs and later ordered more, and closed all openings.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Thanks for the links I suppose the dealer would have these also. How do you keep them in.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the links I suppose the dealer would have these also. How do you keep them in.

This is aftermarket plugs. They are self retaining/expanding

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I lost mine and put gorilla duct tape on the holes every 6 months.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think its better with them out,moisture will build up in there and cant escape

D

Deleted member 3748

We bought our P500 at the end of December. I won't be able to see the frame until the snow melts off of it another month or two. ;)

Reactions: Montecresto
webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
I notice a few days after I got the p500 on of the frame plugs in the front was missing then the other day before I got to order a replacement the other is missing now my frame is packed with dirt, rocks, snow and icy. Should I silicone new ones in?
I've noticed that after a few outings my front frame plugs were beginning to work their way out. I took both of them out and cleaned the frame and plugs then added a VERY small bead of silicone around the plug and put them back in. Haven't had any issues since.

advertisement
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
We bought our P500 at the end of December. I won't be able to see the frame until the snow melts off of it another month or two. ;)

Looks like you bought the last set. I dropped Mike a note asking him to list more, but with 2 extra round plugs.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think its better with them out,moisture will build up in there and cant escape
I think you make a valid point. The frame does look a little better, but it seems that the plugs would increase the risk of rust. Perhaps if a guy came home from each trim, pulled the plugs, did a thorough wash, even blowing out the tubes, allowed it to completely dry, and then replaced them, it would be ok. But who's going to do that.

Reactions: swsebek
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I think you make a valid point. The frame does look a little better, but it seems that the plugs would increase the risk of rust. Perhaps if a guy came home from each trim, pulled the plugs, did a thorough wash, even blowing out the tubes, allowed it to completely dry, and then replaced them, it would be ok. But who's going to do that.

I would plan on sealing them off completely to start with. Keep the moisture out before they rust out from the inside. That's the problem Toyota Tundra's have had already... rusting out from the inside. My problem is, or would be, if I don't block the mud and moisture from getting inside in the first place, I'll never take time to wash the frame out at all.

But - that's just me. Perhaps a bit anal.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would plan on sealing them off completely to start with. Keep the moisture out before they rust out from the inside. That's the problem Toyota Tundra's have had already... rusting out from the inside. My problem is, or would be, if I don't block the mud and moisture from getting inside in the first place, I'll never take time to wash the frame out at all.

But - that's just me. Perhaps a bit anal.
You think you'll be successful in locating, accessing and sealing off every breach along all the framing tubes?

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I just want to block the front to keep them from getting packed full like they are now. Maybe when I go mudding plug them up and then leave all out except the front for the rest of the time.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
You think you'll be successful in locating, accessing and sealing off every breach along all the framing tubes?
hehe NOT even close! But then, I sometimes even wash the backside of the tires on my truck. Yeah - I know that's insane. But that's the way I like it.. There's no rule that I have to be mentally stable :)

I have a good excuse though. I'm old and I'm retired. I can get away with doing some stupid stuff!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
hehe NOT even close! But then, I sometimes even wash the backside of the tires on my truck. Yeah - I know that's insane. But that's the way I like it.. There's no rule that I have to be mentally stable :)

I have a good excuse though. I'm old and I'm retired. I can get away with doing some stupid stuff!
You're too funny!!

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hunt on mine mainly and live in a subdivision, so mine sits for months at a time sometimes. I hose the frame out front and back, let it dry, then spray wd-40 in it and put the caps back on. I have minimal rust in the frame rails... It's not that bad doing it that way. There are better rust preventatives out there but
Wd-40 will spray a long way and will get way up in there.

Reactions: lee
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hunt on mine mainly and live in a subdivision, so mine sits for months at a time sometimes. I hose the frame out front and back, let it dry, then spray wd-40 in it and put the caps back on. I have minimal rust in the frame rails... It's not that bad doing it that way. There are better rust preventatives out there but
Wd-40 will spray a long way and will get way up in there.
That would sure help........but wd-40 drys very quick...I use 80 wt.with 2stroke as on my older rides.It stays through heat and cold.Helps with rust.I use and old style oiler and a solvent sprayer.It hold to my old truck frame for months.excellent for door hinges.

D

Deleted member 3748

That would sure help........but wd-40 drys very quick...I use 80 wt.with 2stroke as on my older rides.It stays through heat and cold.Helps with rust.I use and old style oiler and a solvent sprayer.It hold to my old truck frame for months.excellent for door hinges.

Does it collect a lot of dirt?

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!