Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anyone that have the 1000-5 wish they would have gone with something else? Just put my 700-4 up for sale. Planing to get a 16 1000-5. For the turf mode, extra seat, power, taller doors up front, and top speed. I really though the 700-4 would be fine. But I've been having buyers remorse. When it tears up the yard, when it powers out, when govenor kicks in. So I decided to pick up a 1000-5 since there seem to be good deals on the 16 models. My concern is from the heat under the seat, clutch issues, and anything else I may not be aware of

Reactions: ttollemhs
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
None

IMG 5947

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No ragrets here either. Lol!
We have been through all seasons with it and the heat is nice when cool out side but manageable with byouownbeers heat shield and will add the 4" marine blower before the hot part of summer is here. I just love being able to manually shift gears on tight twisty trails. No clutch problems yet for me.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess I don't have any regrets but these things are NOT the best machine Honda has ever sold. There are more ' 'issues' with these machines then any other Honda I can think of. It is sad to see as I've always thought highly of Honda. I think they should have done a bit more testing and refining before they started selling them.

J

JTW

I guess I don't have any regrets but these things are NOT the best machine Honda has ever sold. There are more ' 'issues' with these machines then any other Honda I can think of. It is sad to see as I've always thought highly of Honda. I think they should have done a bit more testing and refining before they started selling them.
I don't think anyone would really disagree with that.. they're the best all around machine out there. BUT they can be a little quirky.

I would also have to assume that all those "great" machines were the same way... we just didn't have the means of b****ing about them like we do now. The internet magnifies and amplifies any issues.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think anyone would really disagree with that.. they're the best all around machine out there. BUT they can be a little quirky.

I would also have to assume that all those "great" machines were the same way... we just didn't have the means of b****ing about them like we do now. The internet magnifies and amplifies any issues.

I would like to see a legitimate comparison.

People with issues passionately complaining.
Vs
People without an issue passionately praising the machine.

That'll never happen because you'll be called a fanboy or CVT hater.

I say this because I ABUSED the heck out of my 700, maintained it according to Honda guidelines, and it never gave me an issue.

I'm not abusing the 1000 but I am riding it, and carefully maintaining it. Not cramming the front suspension to the bump stops down every inch of trail, not driving with water to my armpits, not getting as much air as a skateboard at the X games.

I AM NOT TREATING IT LIKE A SPORT MACHINE BECAUSE IT IS NOT ONE.

I pay attention and chose my lines. Sometimes impacts/damage still happen for a number of reasons and we can ALWAYS go back and come up with a way to avoid them in retrospect, but in the moment you could not. Meaning HONEST explanations of how you broke it not what you tell the dealer trying to get it fixed under warranty.

That was all my posts for the day I have to get to work so I can pay for a Talon

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would like to see a legitimate comparison.

People with issues passionately complaining.
Vs
People without an issue passionately praising the machine.

That'll never happen because you'll be called a fanboy or CVT hater.

I say this because I ABUSED the heck out of my 700, maintained it according to Honda guidelines, and it never gave me an issue.

I'm not abusing the 1000 but I am riding it, and carefully maintaining it. Not cramming the front suspension to the bump stops down every inch of trail, not driving with water to my armpits, not getting as much air as a skateboard at the X games.

I AM NOT TREATING IT LIKE A SPORT MACHINE BECAUSE IT IS NOT ONE.

I pay attention and chose my lines. Sometimes impacts/damage still happen for a number of reasons and we can ALWAYS go back and come up with a way to avoid them in retrospect, but in the moment you could not. Meaning HONEST explanations of how you broke it not what you tell the dealer trying to get it fixed under warranty.

That was all my posts for the day I have to get to work so I can pay for a Talon

There is an issue... I'm decently hard on my machine and have had no issues whatsoever... @Jshell3 burned his clutch this weekend trying to pull out a P5 that was stuck. Only has 300ish miles on his 2017. Meanwhile I watched @Windrock1000 pulling on a Polaris and spinning all 4 tires on dry ground.. why one gave up immediately and the other didn't I don't know. I'd guess they don't have super tight tolerances on something in the clutch system. Some are great and don't have issues while others do for no apparent reason. I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be one, but common sense tells me something isn't right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
There is an issue... I'm decently hard on my machine and have had no issues whatsoever... @Jshell3 burned his clutch this weekend trying to pull out a P5 that was stuck. Only has 300ish miles on his 2017. Meanwhile I watched @Windrock1000 pulling on a Polaris and spinning all 4 tires on dry ground.. why one gave up immediately and the other didn't I don't know. I'd guess they don't have super tight tolerances on something in the clutch system. Some are great and don't have issues while others do for no apparent reason. I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be one, but common sense tells me something isn't right.

I agree with @nbomar. I too have a 700-4 and there are definitely drawbacks to the machine. You give up some power and top end for reliability. Trust me I'd love to have more of both. However, Honda hasn't given me enough reason to upgrade. When they do I will, but until then I'll keep puttin along on the ole trusty 700.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Anyone that have the 1000-5 wish they would have gone with something else? Just put my 700-4 up for sale. Planing to get a 16 1000-5. For the turf mode, extra seat, power, taller doors up front, and top speed. I really though the 700-4 would be fine. But I've been having buyers remorse. When it tears up the yard, when it powers out, when govenor kicks in. So I decided to pick up a 1000-5 since there seem to be good deals on the 16 models. My concern is from the heat under the seat, clutch issues, and anything else I may not be aware of
I had the pioneer 700-4 for over a year then sold it and bought the pioneer 1000-5 and have had it for over a year. No regrets it's faster hauls more pulles more and doesn't tear up the yard after you get the cables adjusted I did it myself. And you need to snorkel it.

Reactions: sharp and Dragon21
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Devils in the details.
Because of the tech that's involved with new machines, it's not open it up and see a gear failed. People are going to have to share a lot of information HONESTLY that they don't want to share because if it ends up being their fault they'll have to pay for it.

Not saying there's not an issue I'm saying it won't get solved quickly because Honda is the only one that can verify what's going on when using their own machines to do it or if they see it happen.

No one wants to pay for damage they perceive as being not their fault or a one time screw up. Even though it might be a one time thing that shouldn't have happened.

IF you screwed up YOU own up to it, if not Honda SHOULD own up to it. People are understandably fearful and defensive about divulging information, I have a friend who is a Dr who works in the ER and people LIE about what happened all the time because of shame or embarrassment. It affects their long term health and they still do it. Human nature.

You own a business if one of your employees screws up and owns up to it you take it better than if they try to cover it up. Worst case it may cause damage to your building or loss of revenue/time if they cover it up, maybe even legal ramifications if under age and something happens.

The 700 is underpowered, but reliable to that fault.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had the pioneer 700-4 for over a year then sold it and bought the pioneer 1000-5 and have had it for over a year. No regrets it's faster hauls more pulles more and doesn't tear up the yard after you get the cables adjusted I did it myself. And you need to snorkel it.

cables adjusted?

Snorkels would be an early mod for sure.

Would need to decide between the deluxe and base as well. About a $900 difference. Could care less about side panels, actually prefer not to have them due to scratches. Wheels and tires have pros and cons.

J

JTW

cables adjusted?

Snorkels would be an early mod for sure.

Would need to decide between the deluxe and base as well. About a $900 difference. Could care less about side panels, actually prefer not to have them due to scratches. Wheels and tires have pros and cons.
Side panels are nice because of scratches... all the colored plastic can be replaced for $200. You also get led head lights. For $900 that's a no brainer!

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ohanacreek,

You make it sound like everyone that has had problems are the ones to blame. Show me one instance of a clutch burning up or a bent connecting rod, because the engine ingested water, that was the owners fault. You should be able to spin tires pulling someone out all day long and not burn up you're clutch. Or drive through any amount of water, especially 2-3" and not have to worry about breaking your engine. These are the things that are serious negatives that should have been dealt with before it ever hit the market. You shouldn't have to snorkel and fix the vent lines on a new machine just to prevent catastrophic damage to your brand new machine, then have Honda tell you it was your fault! Hondas just aren't supposed to have these types of problems from the get go. It's very disappointing coming from a Honda product.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I agree with @nbomar. I too have a 700-4 and there are definitely drawbacks to the machine. You give up some power and top end for reliability. Trust me I'd love to have more of both. However, Honda hasn't given me enough reason to upgrade. When they do I will, but until then I'll keep puttin along on the ole trusty 700.

Funny you call the 700 reliable the only one in my circle ate a lobe off the camshaft under warranty Honda fixed it the next cam lost a lobe one month out of warranty a Honda rep sat down and ask him a ton of questions and ended up giving him a new top end, head on up and took his back to do R&D on.
Honda is great :)

I love my P1000 is great for what I use it for.

That being said you got to ask your self what you are going to need out of a SxS
If it is work and trail riding the P1000 is the best
if it is go fast and sport, look some where else
if you need heat an air conditioning utter failure (buy truck not a SxS)

I love my P1000

Last edited:
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I'm not so sure the rider is to blame, some cases maybe, but it seems like the clutch problems that occur for the first time ,occur early ( first few hundred miles or so ) . I didnt do any particular break in procedure ,i just rode it like i was going to normally so i dont really think that has anything to do with it either. My best guess is an assembly problem, set up problem or perhaps too high of a reverse gear ?? I've drove mine thru water, lugged thru sugar sand,pulled a 1 ton truck and trailer stuck in sugar sand ( not buried but still ) turned tires in mud ( 28" bighorns nothing to large) but havent had a problem and have @2800 miles so far. What i do know is i would be just as mad as the others if it did happen to me

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Funny you call the 700 reliable the only one in my circle ate a lobe off the camshaft under warranty Honda fixed it the next cam lost a lobe one month out warranty a Honda rep sat down and ask him a ton of questions and ended up giving him a new top end, head on up and took his back to do R&D on.
Honda is great :)

I love my P1000 is great for what I use it for.

That being said you got to ask your self what you are going to need out of a SxS
If it work and trail riding the P1000 is the best
if is go fast and sport, look some where else
if you need heat an air conditioning utter failure (buy truck not a SxS)

I love my P1000
Funny that I've rode the total H3ll out of my 700 and I haven't experienced one issue. Countless others on here will tell you the same thing. Matter of fact you have a hard time finding anyone complaining about much outside of power. Things are going to break on any machine. I expect it since I am running mine through very rough terrain.
There is absolutely no question whether a 700 is more reliable than a 1000. If and when Honda puts a machine out that eases the worries I have with the 1000 I'll buy it. Currently nothing has convinced me to trade in my 700. As I said more power would be nice but with it comes a higher risk for repairs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!