P1000m5 Anyone have regrets?

GravelBat

GravelBat

Sep 5, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1406
The rattles I can deal with, I have a stereo lol. The shocks I will be upgrading next. My side kick does not care either way though, she just wants to come with!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got no ragrets! Love my p1k5! Never given me a single issue, and I've even sunk it!

Reactions: GravelBat
ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the pioneer 700-4 for over a year then sold it and bought the pioneer 1000-5 and have had it for over a year. No regrets it's faster hauls more pulles more and doesn't tear up the yard after you get the cables adjusted I did it myself. And you need to snorkel it.

How do you adjust the cables? Do you have step by step instructions?

D

Dasmoeturhead

No regrets here. Mostly use it on my property for chores, and some pavement riding to town and back, which is right at 10 miles round trip. Never been in the mud or any water like most of you do. I do all the maintenance, and so far its a keeper. I've had to adjust cables, fix rattles, and deal with the heat (not a huge deal for me), and that heat is welcomed on the days that I plow or ride in cold wx. I think its the perfect match for me. I think its a high quality machine. I took it down to the local shop to get my new Tusk terribites installed, and when I went to pick it up there was 5 people looking it over, and they all lived it.
Haven't had a clutch issue yet even after the guy that delivered. My 10x20 shed. He couldn't get it up the hill with the machine he had, so I got the P1K3 out to pull it up the hill. It didn't work, but I did try like 3 or 4 times. I guarantee if the clutch would have failed it would have been then. It took my Ram CTD Dually to get it to its final resting area.
Overall I'm so glad I got this machine. Best gift I've ever bought myself.
0113171203a HDR

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No regrets here. Mostly use it on my property for chores, and some pavement riding to town and back, which is right at 10 miles round trip. Never been in the mud or any water like most of you do. I do all the maintenance, and so far its a keeper. I've had to adjust cables, fix rattles, and deal with the heat (not a huge deal for me), and that heat is welcomed on the days that I plow or ride in cold wx. I think its the perfect match for me. I think its a high quality machine. I took it down to the local shop to get my new Tusk terribites installed, and when I went to pick it up there was 5 people looking it over, and they all lived it.
Haven't had a clutch issue yet even after the guy that delivered. My 10x20 shed. He couldn't get it up the hill with the machine he had, so I got the P1K3 out to pull it up the hill. It didn't work, but I did try like 3 or 4 times. I guarantee if the clutch would have failed it would have been then. It took my Ram CTD Dually to get it to its final resting area.
Overall I'm so glad I got this machine. Best gift I've ever bought myself.
View attachment 56289
Is that your dog house? For you?

J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That is not what I said, read it all again. I faulted no one, I said whoever did cause it, needs to own up to it, whether that is the the Driver OR HONDA.

I don't understand there is a WHOLE AFTERMARKET for CVT clutches and its accepted that they suck. Honda has @3% of them fail (for a S.W.A.G., "I" speculate about half of that is on the owner and half is on Honda) and people lose there minds. Only a few of those have not been covered by warranty BUT there were public admissions of OBVIOUS GLARING FAULT. Then the way the local Multi-brand dealer would tell you ALL Pioneer 1000s have clutch failures before you get them to the initial service, BUT they are the biggest Polaris dealer in town.....I'll let you make your own assumptions on that one.

Lets not forget the aftermarket for Polaris: balljoints, axles, reverse chains, a-arms, bushings, control arms, that are expected to be replaced if you are going to do anything more than ride around your yard...etc.... Then add on flaming balls of POPO that cause recalls because of injuries and deaths....but thats accepted and expected...(shakes head)

2-3 Feet of water is one thing 2-3 inches hasn't caused anyone trouble. Unless that 2-3 inches was on top of 2-3 feet of water. The intake on the 1000 is ALMOST 3' off the ground if you hit a hole at 15-20 mph water is going to get PUSHED over the grill and possibly under the hood into the intake? If you go into 3' deep water that is BEYOND the expectations of the design and thats DEEP water, that IS your fault!

You don't have to snorkel the intake or the vent lines, unless you plan on riding through 2-3' of water or ACCIDENTALLY finding a mud hole the swallows the front of your vehicle. I do it JUST in case I find a hole that swallows the front of my vehicle or it gets suddenly deeper than I expected. I don't ever plan on riding through water deeper than about 18-24 inches, and I am not going to hit that water at 35mph. Ever been skiing and fallen at 35mph? Water is amazingly hard at that speed.

If you aren't spinning the tires then the clutch is slipping if you are spinning the tires then its not slipping, don't slip the clutch in a violent manner, you wouldn't do it in anything else with a clutch and NOT fear burning it up. I have seen plenty of Jeeps and Samurais burn up their clutch trying to get unstuck or past an obstacle and were experienced drivers. IT STILL HAPPENS and its still not Jeeps fault. Use your winch if you or someone else is stuck that badly, and have it wired to an isolated second(or third or fourth) battery just like most full-size off-roaders expecting to use their winch do. If you're stuck so bad it drains the battery, you have to wait till it charges back up and keep winching. Also carry proper recovery gear, a ratchet strap is NOT recovery gear.

Did you roll it and bend the ROPS? well its not supposed to be laying on the ROPS thats an acronym for Roll Over Protection System not the drive train.

I am sure you can buy a doomsday pioneer that is ready for anything, but you're going to pay extra for the accessories and time to add them, they don't come off the showroom floor ready for your use, you set it up for how you are going to use it.
sounds like fanboi drivel to me.

Reactions: Smitty335
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No regrets on my 2017 1000 3eps but do wish updates had already been done. I didn't find out til signing paperwork after a half day at the dealership. I drove 4 hrs to and back so going back wasn't a easy option. Now I have to hope a dealership about 40 minutes away will do them.

Last edited:
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No regrets on my 2017 1000 3eps but do wish updates had already been done. I didn't find out til signing paperwork after a half day at the dealership. I drove 4 hrs to and back so going back wasn't a easy option. Now I have to hope a dealership about 40 minutes away will go them.

I am now regretting what you are now having second thoughts about. I bought my 2017 P1K3 on November 9 and am still waiting for the dealer to do the updates they promised. Today is day 16 and no vehicle.

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am now regretting what you are now having second thoughts about. I bought my 2017 P1K3 on November 9 and am still waiting for the dealer to do the updates they promised. Today is day 16 and no vehicle.
The "local dealer" recommended bringing it in the first of December, said they would have the parts needed. Drop of on a Saturday and pick up on the next. Easier for me due to distance.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The "local dealer" recommended bringing it in the first of December, said they would have the parts needed. Drop of on a Saturday and pick up on the next. Easier for me due to distance.

I found out yesterday my cab heat update kit is in and installed, now waiting for the clutch kit......WooHoo!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I scheduled mine two weeks ahead of appointment date and still took 5 days, Honda needs to support there dealerships better. And the cab heat fix works, still a little warm, but no steam flash.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!