Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
A setback...

I've been off the bike for a couple of weeks now. After riding the Saturday before memorial day, I woke up with...to be honest, some discomfort in my right groin. The best way to describe it is that I felt like I'd slept on one nut. Honestly thought that's what had happened...no real pain, just some tenderness I expected to go away quickly. Next day I rode again with no issues, but as the week went on, there was no improvement with a feeling of swelling or something not quite right.

I've had 2 hernia repairs in my right abdomen, one of which included a mesh patch back in 2000. I started thinking maybe I had done something to inflame that area. A trip to the doc has now confirmed that while the old repair is intact, I now have "fat containing hernia" that will need surgery to repair.

I have no ideal how I even did this, nor do I think biking had anything to do with it, but I felt it best to stay off until the doctor clears me to ride again. Should be scheduled in the next few days, but it sucks to have made some noticeable improvements, and then have to sit around while they fade away.
hope they get you fixed up and back to normal soon

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
A setback...

I've been off the bike for a couple of weeks now. After riding the Saturday before memorial day, I woke up with...to be honest, some discomfort in my right groin. The best way to describe it is that I felt like I'd slept on one nut. Honestly thought that's what had happened...no real pain, just some tenderness I expected to go away quickly. Next day I rode again with no issues, but as the week went on, there was no improvement with a feeling of swelling or something not quite right.

I've had 2 hernia repairs in my right abdomen, one of which included a mesh patch back in 2000. I started thinking maybe I had done something to inflame that area. A trip to the doc has now confirmed that while the old repair is intact, I now have "fat containing hernia" that will need surgery to repair.

I have no ideal how I even did this, nor do I think biking had anything to do with it, but I felt it best to stay off until the doctor clears me to ride again. Should be scheduled in the next few days, but it sucks to have made some noticeable improvements, and then have to sit around while they fade away.
Sorry to hear that DG. Hopefully your recovery will be quick.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in some kind of boat, well maybe the same area of deep water in my own broken boat with you guys. Lol

Rode BMX through high school in the 90’s. Got sponsored by Terrible 1 and got to do some shows in the PNW. Had a bad wreck in a skate park just warming up and fractured my shin and tore meniscus in my knee in 2004. Joined the Marines in 2005. I was accepted to the Marine Security Guard school in 08 and New Zealand was my first post! Ended up buying a Giant Glory 0 for $1,200! The exchange rate was so good that in the states, that bike was $3,400! Then got a Scott Gambler FR. Before I left I was trying to get a small sponsor for my Free Ride stuff. I just couldn’t keep on the trail on DH.

Baghdad was my next post in 2009. I had promises to move back to NZ after getting out of the Marines to pursue the biking life. Well, July came, we had a rocket and mortar attack and I ended up breaking my back with severe nerve damage. Long story short I started to walk again in 2012 when I was medically retired. Bought a couple motorcycles and started building custom bobbers and cafe racers. I still have some issues sometimes but I’ve still got $6k in bad ass bikes that I die a little inside knowing I’ll never be able to ride them like they used to be. I take them out and ride them up and down the street with the wife but nothing like they need to be used for. Plus, one of my best friends just died and he gave me his bikes we used to ride together with from New Zealand. Any of you guys in Eastern Washington? Wanna be out of shape together? Lol

• Love
Reactions: osobad and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’m in some kind of boat, well maybe the same area of deep water in my own broken boat with you guys. Lol

Rode BMX through high school in the 90’s. Got sponsored by Terrible 1 and got to do some shows in the PNW. Had a bad wreck in a skate park just warming up and fractured my shin and tore meniscus in my knee in 2004. Joined the Marines in 2005. I was accepted to the Marine Security Guard school in 08 and New Zealand was my first post! Ended up buying a Giant Glory 0 for $1,200! The exchange rate was so good that in the states, that bike was $3,400! Then got a Scott Gambler FR. Before I left I was trying to get a small sponsor for my Free Ride stuff. I just couldn’t keep on the trail on DH.

Baghdad was my next post in 2009. I had promises to move back to NZ after getting out of the Marines to pursue the biking life. Well, July came, we had a rocket and mortar attack and I ended up breaking my back with severe nerve damage. Long story short I started to walk again in 2012 when I was medically retired. Bought a couple motorcycles and started building custom bobbers and cafe racers. I still have some issues sometimes but I’ve still got $6k in bad ass bikes that I die a little inside knowing I’ll never be able to ride them like they used to be. I take them out and ride them up and down the street with the wife but nothing like they need to be used for. Plus, one of my best friends just died and he gave me his bikes we used to ride together with from New Zealand. Any of you guys in Eastern Washington? Wanna be out of shape together? Lol
Thanks for your service and sacrifices. Unfortunately, I'm down in AZ, so we'll have to be out of shape from a distance.

I hadn't mentioned here yet, but I got back on the bike on Thanksgiving day, and again a few days later...

20221127 144448
20221127 142419

As I knew would be the case, I'm back to square one.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The two big bikes I’ve got left. I rebuilt a 1952 Schwinn Collegiate which is stored in my loft. I’ve got a few other hard tail mountain bikes and beach cruisers too but these are muh babies. The Gambler is mine and the Big Hit was my Marine buddy who passed thanks to the bad water in Camp Lejeune.
B7BB9080 0E19 4AE8 931E 75480C026201

9FDB8BE2 03DF 44F2 BDF5 0243AB54FB4C

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The single greatest MTB video ever...

If you're wondering why the front wheel keeps turning back and forth, it's really hard to pedal AND hold a cell phone with one hand...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Been getting out every Saturday except for 1. Really wish I could do this a few times a week...but life just doesn't have room for it. Finally back to...and beyond where I was when I blew a gasket back last summer.

Last weekend was a personal-best 11.5 miles around Casa Grande mtn trails. That would be laughable for an in-shape MTB rider, but for me, it's quite an feat considering I could only manage 3 miles on that first ride back in the fall.

Also doing some harder blue trails...

20230121 151651
20230121 151509

I added a 45mm stem. A $120 protaper piece that was on sale for $40. Stock is 35mm. Most modern MTB's seem to be in that 40-50mm range anyway. My size large Diamondback has old school geo in that the reach would be a medium by most new bike standards. I like the little extra room and effect on steering, so it's staying. Even though it was not marketed as having any, it also had a tiny amount of rise as well, and I like that.

Dropper post started popping last ride, so I serviced it. The front forks started making a clicking noise when hitting bumps. An E-mail to SR Suntour revealed a known issue and a replacement cartridge. Actually, a free upgrade in the form of HIGH and Low speed compression damping (stock has only a lockout) a long with the rebound. Still messing with the dials.

The rest of the bike is holding up well, considering my massive weight. Speaking of which, I've lost about 15lbs... though that has more to do with diet than the actual bike. My health was going the wrong way...and it was time to acknowledge I'm not a kid anymore.

20230114 145721

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
You guys have tempted me to get the bikes back out too!! I use to ride nonstop. Groups of us would travel all over doing it, alot like sxs is now. A couple years ago I had a bad accident on a jump on a downhill course and broke my collar bone. It required surgery and led to a frozen shoulder that took around 2 years to recover from....I still don't have full range in that shoulder!( But I love the sport. I was wanting to dust everything off and give it another go this summer! Thanks for the motivation! :D Now I gotta reseal the tubeless tires and give everything a once over. Hope I still know how to ride🤓....I hate the first couple weeks on the ass bones! Lol.

20230305 174931

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You guys have tempted me to get the bikes back out too!! I use to ride nonstop. Groups of us would travel all over doing it, alot like sxs is now. A couple years ago I had a bad accident on a jump on a downhill course and broke my collar bone. It required surgery and led to a frozen shoulder that took around 2 years to recover from....I still don't have full range in that shoulder!( But I love the sport. I was wanting to dust everything off and give it another go this summer! Thanks for the motivation! :D Now I gotta reseal the tubeless tires and give everything a once over. Hope I still know how to ride🤓....I hate the first couple weeks on the ass bones! Lol.

View attachment 377133
Hey, just put those back in that dark corner. You’re going to die

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
My mountain biking these days is easy single track trails and fire roads (over 70 yo now). No more crazy downhills. Although I do still manage and enjoy moderately difficult California desert riding on a dirt bike (motorcycle). There are some long and steep hillclimbs and downhills there that are far beyond my capability on a mountain bike, but just challenging enough to be fun on adirt bike.

Back in the early 1960's I had a Schwinn Super Continental 15 speed that I modified to use wide tires and wheels for riding on our cattle ranch. I thought it was funny to read later about arguments years later as to who built the first Mountain Bike, which was pretty laughable I thought as I know in 1962 I was not the first and what about springer fork Schwinns from the 1950's? If you ride one offroad isn't that a mountain bike?

At any rate lots of fun and I see guys in their 80's riding and downhill skiing, ( as you may know many ski resorts open lifts in the summer to mountain bikers) so at age 50 you have plenty of years left I would hope!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Memories are coming back from my first foray into this. Bikes suck to work on despite the relative simplicity. And WHY are there so many standards?

Under 200 miles on the bike and my bottom bracket bearings are dying...

...and guess how many I've found? NONE! There seems to be a problem with SRAM having the wrong part # listed as well, since I've now gotten 2 different examples that were supposed to be right...but weren't. Most places are out of stock. There is no play...yet. Just the noise, but I can't imagine they will live much longer. May be forced to go to the DUB setup over a $20 part.

Anyway...still at it. The local trails I ride don't have that many miles, so I've been stuck at around 11 mile rides for a few weeks, but finally beat that by 1.5 last time.

20230305 143709
20230305 152138
20230305 152311

I was thinking of leaving the nest until I found the bearings. I think someplace a little flatter (browns ranch, maybe) I could probably do a 20 mile ride easy. HUGE improvement from the start. Still much to go, but getting better. Can only really do this once a week, so progress is slow.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I hate noise from anywhere on the bike. Cranks, pedals ,seat whatever. I will spend hours just trying to find where it is coming from. Just be glad you don't have a press fit bottom bracket. Stay at it

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hate noise from anywhere on the bike. Cranks, pedals ,seat whatever. I will spend hours just trying to find where it is coming from. Just be glad you don't have a press fit bottom bracket. Stay at it
Agreed. It’s worse than squeaking brakes on a sxs. Clicks, squeaks, etc drive me insane

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah. Press fit is such a stupid ideal that it MUST have come from the bike world.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah. Press fit is such a stupid ideal that it MUST have come from the bike world.
They do make some for press fit that screw together . Big improvement but I would take old style square taper over press fit 68 or 73mm English bottom bracket my favorite

Last edited:
Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!