DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well....I will say this: Diamondback isn't big on communication.
After purchasing the bike on the 30th, I got an email immediately with order info, etc, that stated I would get an email w/tracking info when it shipped, and I would need to sign. However, 28 hrs later db was showing nothing on the site under my account for purchases, so I called the number listed in the email.
An actual human answers! Not only that, be he spoke English!
He looked up the order and said it was showing no issues, and if it didn't ship that day, it probably would be until tomorrow. So I was resigned to look for that tracking email starting tomorrow.

So, naturally I walked out the front door today to see this...

IMG 20220403 184803514

Which then became this...

IMG 20220403 184841305

Had no ideal it was there, or how long it had been, but that isn't a $20 bag of dog food left out for porch pirates! No email or anything.

Initial impressions:
I thought it would be a bigger reach from seat to handlebars. If anything, it's actually a bit tighter than my old IBEX. Maybe this is how modern mtbs are? I actually kind of like it, as I always felt too hunched over on my old bike...like the bars needed more rise, but I sort of wrote this off a the "efficient cycling position" you needed. This bike is a step closer to the BMX you had as a kid than the tour de France hunched over crowd.

I still need to fiddle with the seat height a bit, which will probably take that back just a hair, but it's still gonna be more relaxed than the old one. Oh...and that dropper post is the s***! Disc brakes are also the s***...but I had those on my old bike...but hydraulic disc brake are even the s***tier!

Short ride in the yard reveals pretty much what you'd expect with those big wheels: calm and collected. 29ers tend to be more monster truck than nimble, and that's exactly how it feels. Almost boring, which will be good on sketchy stuff. Also, more solid...or I guess you'd say rigid. Those beefy boost hubs and fork tubes really help out, it seems.

Now...can I do it justice? Time will tell...

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
After purchasing the bike on the 30th, I got an email immediately with order info, etc, that stated I would get an email w/tracking info when it shipped, and I would need to sign. However, 28 hrs later db was showing nothing on the site under my account for purchases, so I called the number listed in the email.
He looked up the order and said it was showing no issues, and if it didn't ship that day, it probably would be until tomorrow. So I was resigned to look for that tracking email starting tomorrow.

View attachment 327911

View attachment 327912

Had no ideal it was there, or how long it had been, but that isn't a $20 bag of dog food left out for porch pirates! No email or anything.

Initial impressions:
I thought it would be a bigger reach from seat to handlebars. If anything, it's actually a bit tighter than my old IBEX. Maybe this is how modern mtbs are? I actually kind of like it, as I always felt too hunched over on my old bike...like the bars needed more rise, but I sort of wrote this off a the "efficient cycling position" you needed. This bike is a step closer to the BMX you had as a kid than the tour de France hunched over crowd.

I still need to fiddle with the seat height a bit, which will probably take that back just a hair, but it's still gonna be more relaxed than the old one. Oh...and that dropper post is the s***! Disc brakes are also the s***...but I had those on my old bike...but hydraulic disc brake are even the s***tier!

Short ride in the yard reveals pretty much what you'd expect with those big wheels: calm and collected. 29ers tend to be more monster truck than nimble, and that's exactly how it feels. Almost boring, which will be good on sketchy stuff. Also, more solid...or I guess you'd say rigid. Those beefy boost hubs and fork tubes really help out, it seems.

looks great enjoy and be careful. can't believe with the $ it didn't req. signature and some dirt ball didn't run off with it

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 327911

View attachment 327912

Initial impressions:

Congrats!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow...Diamondback not earning any points with me this week.
I heard diamondback gives discounts through an organization called Expertvoice. You join with an affiliation (in my case by joining the IMBA) and discounts on lots of stuff, usually "outdoorsy" stuff. In some cases, there were tales of $1000 off DB bikes. I joined and was irked to find ONLY e bikes had discounts.

I contacted Diamondback several days ago about EP discounts and was told the Release 29-1 I was looking at was unlikely to be on there. State of the world/supply chain stuff, right? So I pulled the trigger on it as you saw.

So naturally, As of right now, several of the Release models have been added. The discount on the 29-1 is $400...so it's not like they took $1500 off...but it's still a pisser knowing I just wasted $400 to get a bike a week and a half early!!!

Screenshot 20220406 225348

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow...Diamondback not earning any points with me this week.
I heard diamondback gives discounts through an organization called Expertvoice. You join with an affiliation (in my case by joining the IMBA) and discounts on lots of stuff, usually "outdoorsy" stuff. In some cases, there were tales of $1000 off DB bikes. I joined and was irked to find ONLY e bikes had discounts.

I contacted Diamondback several days ago about EP discounts and was told the Release 29-1 I was looking at was unlikely to be on there. State of the world/supply chain stuff, right? So I pulled the trigger on it as you saw.

So naturally, As of right now, several of the Release models have been added. The discount on the 29-1 is $400...so it's not like they took $1500 off...but it's still a pisser knowing I just wasted $400 to get a bike a week and a half early!!!

View attachment 328689
That's "Diamondback" as in a rattlesnake huh?

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welp...tentatively planning to hit the trails early in the morning before it gets hot. Parts for the 700 are on back order, so I'll likely have a week or two before I have to start picking. This...if I can do it...will probably eat into the SXS time a bit, but it absolutely will NOT replace the SxS as the adventure machine.

Anyway...I went tubless tonight and it's a bit of a pain without a compressor, so I better not have flats issues like everyone promises is one of the perks. Ultimately used a CO2 inflater to get the tough one seated with orange seal.

This is the one, and it works well...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I keep posting things on MTBR forums...but honestly get about as many replies here...oddly enough. Must be my Diamondback.

Anyways, I posted this over there..

"Well...Saturday was my first "trail" ride on it.
If I were to give it a headline, it would be: "*****-slapped back to reality by an actual trail".

I figured I'd spend maybe an hour or two in the morning out on the Casa Grande mountain trails near my home, since the high was supposed to be the mid 90's. You watch the YouTubers and get yourself all psyched up thinking about what you're going to do...and 15 minutes in and I am DEAD. I'll make a cool meme at some point about expectations vs reality...and I did spend 2 hours out there, but
probably an hour if that was spent standing beside the trail gasping and trying to rest. Only did like 2.5 miles.

I've done this before, and I realized at that time that you have to reach a certain level of fitness before this becomes more enjoyment than work, and yesterday was a stark reminder that I have a long way to go. I've been spinning around the neighborhood on my old bike for at least 30 minutes after work, 3-4 times a week, but that's all flat and the trails...at least these trails, aren't. Probably could have paced myself better as well.

There were some little victories: I cleaned a couple of wash crossings that I didn't know if I could (nothing anyone but a total noob would even notice). Climbed a few gopher mounds. Didn't crash. Didn't get a flat.
And most importantly, a mental victory in that I rode the whole thing. No pushing. If I couldn't peddle, I just rested until I could. A small thing probably funny most of you, but you look for positives in what I kinda considered something of a fail. And it irks me that I have to suck on it for a few days until I can go again."

Img 20220409 100529224 hdr jpg

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
what you said is so true. I look at features that I thought how does anyone pedal up that when I first started. I look at it now and cant even tell there is an incline. Casual riding around the neighbor ,while better than nothing will never get you in shape for mountain biking. It will get easier and easier though

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Man... mountain biking is sooooo much fun! You guys and gals are all missing out!

Round 2:
Drank plenty of water and Propel last night and this morning. Had avocado toast for breakfast for plenty of fuel for the old fat. Paced myself better and took breaks when I got winded. Had a specific trail post in mind as a goal. 100 yards away and still feeling like I could do some other trails...
Then I heard a loud bang like a gun going off. Felt the front drop a bit, and looked down to see that my front WTB vigilante had blown Completely off the rim. Not blown out...blown off the rim!

IMG 20220415 122350307 HDR

IMG 20220415 142454264

It appears to be a casing failure where the tire separated from the wire bead. Had a spare tube with me and installed it hoping to limp back to the truck. Got the tire pumped up to maybe 10 lb with the hand pump.. just enough to convince myself that it was going to hold. Turned around to the pack to get out the CO2 inflator, and heard a strange noise. Looked back at the tire just in time to see the inner tube bulging through the sidewall about a nanosecond before it blew out as well.

Hiking is a great pastime. Hiking with a 35 lb mountain bike, not so much. Wouldn't it be easier just to put a burning bush in the desert telling me not to ride?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
After getting input from the snooty, self righteous types at MTBR, it appears I made an assumption that the OEM tires are "tubless compatable", when In fact, they aren't. People have been running non-tubless compatible tires tubless for probably 20-years (IE - ghetto tubless). Most times it works, sometimes not. The consensus is that the damage above was probably caused by the tire blowing off the rim, and not the THE cause of the tire blowing off the rim, and that the lack of a good bead lip that is present on tubless tires combined with my weight was just too much. Well...okay...

So new tubless compatable Maxxis rubber for the Diamondback...

IMG 20220417 185332091

...and we're closing in on something like $800 per trail mile, so it would be much cheaper to run a SxS thus far.

The whole tubless thing is a pain that should pay off with greatly reduced flat issues, but there are a few (admittedly, a minority) people who feel it's more of a artificial "must have" that the MTN bike world seems to have plenty of, than an actual necessity. All I can say is one more peep, and the tubes will go back in and they will STAY in. I'll patch the damn things.

Last edited:
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
After getting input from the snooty, self righteous types at MTBR, it appears I made an assumption that the OEM tires are "tubless compatable", when In fact, they aren't. People have been running non-tubless compatible tires tubless for probably 20-years (IE - ghetto tubless). Most times it works, sometimes not. The consensus is that the damage above was probably caused by the tire blowing off the rim, and not the THE cause of the tire blowing off the rim, and that the lack of a good bead lip that is present on tubless tires combined with my weight was just too much. Well...okay...

So new tubless compatable Maxxis rubber for the Diamondback...

View attachment 330196

...and we're closing in on something like $800 per trail mile, so it would be much cheaper to run a SxS thus far.

The whole tubless thing is a pain that should pay off with greatly reduced flat issues, but there are a few (admittedly, a minority) people who feel it's more of a artificial "must have" that the MTN bike world seems to have plenty of, than an actual necessity. All I can say is one more peep, and the tubes will go back in and they will STAY in. I'll patch the damn things.
I know the tubless ride a little better and it reduces rolling resistance along with rotating mass along with all the other blah blah. No right or wrong but it can be a pain with certain tires or rims. I make my own sealant and order rim tape that is the same stuff you pay 20 times more for just becuase it is marketed for tubliss. I always keep a spare tube with me.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know the tubless ride a little better and it reduces rolling resistance along with rotating mass along with all the other blah blah. No right or wrong but it can be a pain with certain tires or rims. I make my own sealant and order rim tape that is the same stuff you pay 20 times more for just becuase it is marketed for tubliss. I always keep a spare tube with me.
These seated without too much hassle, so maybe with the right equipment it's not so bad, but im out of sealant. So there's another $20 bottle of that...

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
These seated without too much hassle, so maybe with the right equipment it's not so bad, but im out of sealant. So there's another $20 bottle of that...
20 for a small botttle. I started making my own and it is about 20 a gallon. Also try scotch 8896 stapping tape for the rims. Works better than the stans IMO

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
20 for a small botttle. I started making my own and it is about 20 a gallon. Also try scotch 8896 stapping tape for the rims. Works better than the stans IMO
$20 for 16oz of Orange seal endurance. Enough for 4 29's if you use the recommended 4oz. The rims are tubless compatable and were taped from the factory.

I wanted to use Slime SLR just because it never gets mentioned outside of Seth on Berm Peak, but they have discontinued it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!