P1000 Ate a log, could have been worse.

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
We've been enjoying our 1000-5 to get to our remote camp. Everything has been great...gets smoother every time I take it out.
We have tight trails going in (only atv previously). The ferns are now up making it seem even tighter.

Luckily I was by myself yesterday. Poking along in 2nd or 3rd low range...just driving. All of a sudden a crash/rip, and a tree came into the passenger compartment through the passenger footwell. Came in on an angle, and then momentum kept it coming directly across to the drivers side into my right leg. Came to a stop quick, and was able to squeeze out. Leg has a nice bruise. Passenger would have been worse.

Must have been a laying nearly parallel to the trail, just hiding in the ferns. Went in between the body work and passenger tire....punched through the footwell, cracked dash, etc.

I should have been more careful.... Never expected that.

Be safe out there.

Cheers
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

IMG 3411

IMG 3410

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Holy crap! You wasn't kidding about hitting a limb. Your lucky I'm glad your ok.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
We've been enjoying our 1000-5 to get to our remote camp. Everything has been great...gets smoother every time I take it out.
We have tight trails going in (only atv previously). The ferns are now up making it seem even tighter.

Luckily I was by myself yesterday. Poking along in 2nd or 3rd low range...just driving. All of a sudden a crash/rip, and a tree came into the passenger compartment through the passenger footwell. Came in on an angle, and then momentum kept it coming directly across to the drivers side into my right leg. Came to a stop quick, and was able to squeeze out. Leg has a nice bruise. Passenger would have been worse.

Must have been a laying nearly parallel to the trail, just hiding in the ferns. Went in between the body work and passenger tire....punched through the footwell, cracked dash, etc.

Be safe out there.

Cheers
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View attachment 17731

View attachment 17732
Holy guacamole!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Ouch!
Glad it was just a bruise for the driver.
I drive more confidently since I installed skid plates. I always got anxious when I could feel stuff rubbing and tumbling under my feet.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All of a sudden I think a i need a skid plate!

Would a skid plate have helped if it came through between the wheel and the frame like that?

To the OP, glad you got out with just bruises.

How fast would you guess you were going?

Does it look like it rolled up from the tire into the wheel well and came in the side of the foot well or did it just punch right up from underneath?

Chipper

Chipper

May 30, 2016
Savannah GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn!!! Thought I would be ok with out skids.... I have noticed though how these things throw sticks up pretty well, there goes another thousand dollars...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wow... Holly crap.
I know one thing... I envy you having a camp so remote the trail grows up due to lack of riding. Too bad it is booby traped. Lol.

Glad you were safe. Very close call. Now cut that tree up, take it back to camp, and burn it.

advertisement
A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the responses.
I don't think skids would have helped with this. I think it must have been elevated at least halfway up the tire. Since it was nearly parallel it must have hit and been sucked in instead of bouncing off.
I'm not sure of the exact speed...but like I said I was probably in 3rd low.... just poking along to keep the revs low. I was not paying as much attention to the sides as I was practicing keeping my throttle foot steady to keep it from surging on the bumps. Maybe 10-15mph?

I had to cut it out with the chainsaw. Very very carefully! Good thing the Stihl 170 is pretty maneuverable.

Dash is cracked around the cupholder.
Floor is torn down the side of the footrest and up under the dash. I was able to mostly refit it....so maybe I can just screw in some reinforcements to at least strengthen it. Not too worried about it looking pretty. No damage to the outside. Also, luckily no damage to anything mechanical.

Got some more trail widening to do!

Cheers
Andrew

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad you're OK and nothing mechanical was damaged. I think you're definitely correct about skids not helping. When I first looked at the pics I was thinking that it must have come in through the wheel well. The crazy things that happen on the trail!

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I brought the pioneer to my dealer today as it was bugging me how quickly/easily this went wrong. Dealer was shocked/dismayed, and immediately escalated to Honda corporate. Honda wants my machine brought in for further investigation and repair...... They agreed this shouldn't have happened.
Kudos to my dealer and Honda for taking this seriously.
Cheers

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I brought the pioneer to my dealer today as it was bugging me how quickly/easily this went wrong. Dealer was shocked/dismayed, and immediately escalated to Honda corporate. Honda wants my machine brought in for further investigation and repair...... They agreed this shouldn't have happened.
Cheers

Wow.

Good job on your dealer and Honda. Keep us posted on what they tell you.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I had a look at mine with the full skid plates - and yeah, if you hit a perfectly positioned log it could go straight into the cab like that.
Freak accident. I might try to put some UHMW there.
Be interesting to see if Honda comes up with something.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cheers
That's great that Honda is taking this seriously. Freak accident or whatever, this could have been tragic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: ghost
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hello,

Be safe out there.

Cheers
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View attachment 17731

View attachment 17732
Wow!!! @cwalton had that happen too but not that much. Cool Honda is looking into it! I don't think a skid would've caught that one.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow I was actually speechless when I looked at those pics. And I thought I'd seen it all lol. Glad you're okay other than bruises.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello,

Be safe out there.

Cheers
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View attachment 17731

View attachment 17732
Glad your ok, WOW. Don't think skids would have helped much there. Looking at the tree top looks like it was the perfect spear, front tire rolled over the main trunk and on to the branches, turned main trunk up and into the passenger compartment. My brother has a tricked out RZR with 1/2 doors that flies, has 0 protection from side impacts, really someone hasn't got heart with the RZR 1/2 doors.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!