1. 700-2
508 days
or
12,192 hours
or
731,520 minutes
or
43,891,200 seconds

That is the time that has passed since my last trail ride at Wildcat off road. Then the old 700 had to leave. This was the 1st time since i was 15 years old (1988) i didn't have something to ride on the trails.

Mercifully, it has come to an end.

New ride: 2015 P500 512 miles.

Dealer pics...

It will likely be next week before I actually get to try it out on the trails, but baring getting kidnapped by Bigfoot, Demons, or the fish guy from Star Wars, there will be mud on the tires soon.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Woohoo.. Glad your back on the trail.
This 500 is going to be a different beast but its fun in the tight woods. Need to improve the stance a little and it will be great. Slow but still great.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Has what i thought was a Moose (or quadboss) roof, but on further inspection, seems to be a decently done home-made job. Sounds like cats fighting, so will need some foam on the roll cage.

Been doing a ton of reading about this thing, but any input is welcome...

Sharp eyes will note that someone put rear tires/wheels on the front to get them all the same size, but the front track is noticeably wider...which threw me, since i thought the backspacing was the same (someone on FB confirmed that it IS wider stock). The look drives me nuts, so maybe some spacers on the rear (input on what size?) to make it even.

Hard to get out of 1st at the dealer (cold). Once home, it really shifted like s***...but i knew the secret. Adjusted the clutch, and a HUGE improvement, BUT...still stubborn at times to come out of 1st unless you make sure and unload the drivetrain. I'm guessing its just the nature of the beast. "The Beast" being Honda's with super-low 1st. My old Foreman was the same way, esp cold. I've also driven 1 other 500 that seemed to do the same. Some T6 will help.

The other thing is the clutch re-engagement sometimes has a delay that seems worse under heavy throttle. It grabs hard, but its like the 'puter is keeping it disengauged longer than it needs to. I've never been a fan of Honda's ESP, and stuff like this is why. My foot always worked way better than their programming, but obviously, that isn't a choice here.

After test riding around the yard a bit, i got the distinct smell of coolant. I'm actually OK with taking a new-to-me-machine apart...i like to see what's where. So, down to the engine we went. The metal coolant pipe clamp right under the center hump was leaking just enough to make it damp and no more. Prob always done it, but joe the average owner doesn't know what coolant smells like. Just tightened the clamp...same as i had to do on the 700, and Fixed. Also...love me a good seat belt buckle enima...

Who has chopped/made removable that section behind the ECU so you can get to the oil filter without pulling the plastic? (really, Honda?) Looks like it might be easier to do valves than the 700. Engine also seems more mechanically quiet than a 700.

Since it has plenty brake pedal, thinking of adjusting it in so i have to raise my foot less to hit it (big guy, small machine...how do you do it @100Acre ).

I thought the tires on the 700 were OK. These tires really suck. Really suck. Have to do for a bit, though.

A quick and very limited test ride on not very proper terrain shows that this is a very different machine than what i was used to. It will take some time and understanding that this machine is NOT 60" wide, and will require different calibrations. Some aspects i know i will really like. Others...we'll have to see...

I can go download owners manuals for most brands right from their respective websites. Why do i have to pay $30 for one from Honda? If someone could tell me the exact oil check procedure, I'd be appreciative.
Service manual PDF anywhere?

Had to dust off my old quad bags and cooler (latter is like old enough to drive now). I'm sorry, but the rack sucks. It just does.

A 1.25" hitch. Ain't that cute...

On a good note, all the fluids are nice and clean, and other than some scrapes, it looks to have lead a good life. Skid plates are even intact.

Ride report soon...

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
100Acre just gets cramps and deals with them otherwise I hang my leg out and on the sideview mirror. Or, sometimes after scurrying around on me feets on cliff faces while looking for fossils, and then getting in the P5 can be difficult as my left knee refuses to bend without lots of pain....the leg room in all the machines is surprisingly about the same. there's more leg room for your right foot than the left. Those damn little asians need to start designing things for us Americans after all, we have bigger everythings!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Has what i thought was a Moose (or quadboss) roof, but on further inspection, seems to be a decently done home-made job. Sounds like cats fighting, so will need some foam on the roll cage.

Been doing a ton of reading about this thing, but any input is welcome...

Sharp eyes will note that someone put rear tires/wheels on the front to get them all the same size, but the front track is noticeably wider...which threw me, since i thought the backspacing was the same (someone on FB confirmed that it IS wider stock). The look drives me nuts, so maybe some spacers on the rear (input on what size?) to make it even.

Hard to get out of 1st at the dealer (cold). Once home, it really shifted like s***...but i knew the secret. Adjusted the clutch, and a HUGE improvement, BUT...still stubborn at times to come out of 1st unless you make sure and unload the drivetrain. I'm guessing its just the nature of the beast. "The Beast" being Honda's with super-low 1st. My old Foreman was the same way, esp cold. I've also driven 1 other 500 that seemed to do the same. Some T6 will help.

The other thing is the clutch re-engagement sometimes has a delay that seems worse under heavy throttle. It grabs hard, but its like the 'puter is keeping it disengauged longer than it needs to. I've never been a fan of Honda's ESP, and stuff like this is why. My foot always worked way better than their programming, but obviously, that isn't a choice here.

After test riding around the yard a bit, i got the distinct smell of coolant. I'm actually OK with taking a new-to-me-machine apart...i like to see what's where. So, down to the engine we went. The metal coolant pipe clamp right under the center hump was leaking just enough to make it damp and no more. Prob always done it, but joe the average owner doesn't know what coolant smells like. Just tightened the clamp...same as i had to do on the 700, and Fixed. Also...love me a good seat belt buckle enima...

Who has chopped/made removable that section behind the ECU so you can get to the oil filter without pulling the plastic? (really, Honda?) Looks like it might be easier to do valves than the 700. Engine also seems more mechanically quiet than a 700.

Since it has plenty brake pedal, thinking of adjusting it in so i have to raise my foot less to hit it (big guy, small machine...how do you do it @100Acre ).

I thought the tires on the 700 were OK. These tires really suck. Really suck. Have to do for a bit, though.

A quick and very limited test ride on not very proper terrain shows that this is a very different machine than what i was used to. It will take some time and understanding that this machine is NOT 60" wide, and will require different calibrations. Some aspects i know i will really like. Others...we'll have to see...

I can go download owners manuals for most brands right from their respective websites. Why do i have to pay $30 for one from Honda? If someone could tell me the exact oil check procedure, I'd be appreciative.
Service manual PDF anywhere?

Had to dust off my old quad bags and cooler (latter is like old enough to drive now). I'm sorry, but the rack sucks. It just does.

A 1.25" hitch. Ain't that cute...

On a good note, all the fluids are nice and clean, and other than some scrapes, it looks to have lead a good life. Skid plates are even intact.

Ride report soon...

Go Ride it Dirty....
Ride Safe

Reactions: markie
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have fun, hit some water to knock some of the dust off from the dry spell lol!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congratulations DGRider! It’s about time, really glad to see you on something

Reactions: DG Rider
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: markie
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
508 days
or
12,192 hours
or
731,520 minutes
or
43,891,200 seconds

That is the time that has passed since my last trail ride at Wildcat off road. Then the old 700 had to leave. This was the 1st time since i was 15 years old (1988) i didn't have something to ride on the trails.

Mercifully, it has come to an end.

New ride: 2015 P500 512 miles.

Dealer pics...

View attachment 70619 View attachment 70620 View attachment 70621

It will likely be next week before I actually get to try it out on the trails, but baring getting kidnapped by Bigfoot, Demons, or the fish guy from Star Wars, there will be mud on the tires soon.
Looks brand new!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!