P1000 backlight or light gear shifters

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
has anyone backlit there gear shifters yet? I have been kicking around some ideas but haven't decided on anything just yet. One idea I had was to put a single led light under the gear shifter area and drill real tiny holes through the letters in the dash D R N ETC... to let light come through when driving at night. Not sure that would work as well as having a SINGLE led up on roll cage behind review mirror in a recessed in TUBE so when u looked at it u couldn't see it, it would be recessed in a small tube so would never reflect off of windshield and your eyes could never catch a glare form it!! it would shine down lighting up gear shift area and I would want it to be dim enough not to light up real bright just enough to see what was going on. Then I thought further on this and thought what about making it a led black light and painting the letters on dash with permanent black light paint (white) and the single led light would light them all up nicely?? what do u guys think and also what have y'all done please chime in and post pictures!! truth is I really have become used to the gears and don't need it lit but a lot of times I have friends and family driving it at night and last thing I want is them grinding gears or anything and after all it would be a nice easy mod!! @CumminsPusher @joeymt33 have you addressed this problem yet on either of your builds?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think the most simple mod is "glow in the dark" paint marker and a dim LED shinning on them.

I'm using just plain "white out" and my interior light turned all the way down does a nice job.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
has anyone backlit there gear shifters yet? I have been kicking around some ideas but haven't decided on anything just yet. One idea I had was to put a single led light under the gear shifter area and drill real tiny holes through the letters in the dash D R N ETC... to let light come through when driving at night. Not sure that would work as well as having a SINGLE led up on roll cage behind review mirror in a recessed in TUBE so when u looked at it u couldn't see it, it would be recessed in a small tube so would never reflect off of windshield and your eyes could never catch a glare form it!! it would shine down lighting up gear shift area and I would want it to be dim enough not to light up real bright just enough to see what was going on. Then I thought further on this and thought what about making it a led black light and painting the letters on dash with permanent black light paint (white) and the single led light would light them all up nicely?? what do u guys think and also what have y'all done please chime in and post pictures!! truth is I really have become used to the gears and don't need it lit but a lot of times I have friends and family driving it at night and last thing I want is them grinding gears or anything and after all it would be a nice easy mod!! @CumminsPusher @joeymt33 have you addressed this problem yet on either of your builds?

I've been going to look into it. I figured go pick some stuff from a 4Runner and adjust under a piece of lexan with light. I think pretty simple but it's not top of my list. Easy way is just led strip behind gate but not there yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been going to look into it. I figured go pick some stuff from a 4Runner and adjust under a piece of lexan with light. I think pretty simple but it's not top of my list. Easy way is just led strip behind gate but not there yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah it sucks. You can't see your shifter so you still have to search for it. All it does is shine light back in your face. If you were going to do anything it would be to put a very dim led on the front rollbar projecting down to your dash giving just enough light that you can see what your looking for. 152d8d0a6ca64460a61f2c94810481aaF44eefb85c6df04405444707d15b6fcc3529b8702cbbcd5abdc3739a1c353c113f7441fa0169c7a6dade2908dd5e919d394666b1de71c243f185f5196bf337e0

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was also thinking of glow in the dark paint. Just don't know how good it would work. At the least it would be a different color in the day time.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nah it sucks. You can't see your shifter so you still have to search for it. All it does is shine light back in your face. If you were going to do anything it would be to put a very dim led on the front rollbar projecting down to your dash giving just enough light that you can see what your looking for.152d8d0a6ca64460a61f2c94810481aaF44eefb85c6df04405444707d15b6fcc3529b8702cbbcd5abdc3739a1c353c113f7441fa0169c7a6dade2908dd5e919d394666b1de71c243f185f5196bf337e0

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Well that's good to know that backlights won't work. I'd like that actually lit up though if you come up with something please post!
The only real good thing I was thinking was to pull backlit stuff from probably a late 70's-80's Toyota then cut and place right under another piece of plastic.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used a small LED light strip that has a 3m adhesive backing. Placed it under the hood on the plastic just below the shifter cut out. The lights are red so they do not effect your night vision and they are not overly bright. Just enough light to be able to locate the shifter easily. I think the strip has 4 or 5 LED's on it. Bought it at Advanced Auto Parts. I still can not see the letters on the dash but that is not an issue for me. Just needed to see the shifter. I wired it to be on when the key is on. Pulls less than 1 amp and LED's last forever. Might outlast me.
Led 1
Led 2

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I used a small LED light strip that has a 3m adhesive backing. Placed it under the hood on the plastic just below the shifter cut out. The lights are red so they do not effect your night vision and they are not overly bright. Just enough light to be able to locate the shifter easily. I think the strip has 4 or 5 LED's on it. Bought it at Advanced Auto Parts. I still can not see the letters on the dash but that is not an issue for me. Just needed to see the shifter. I wired it to be on when the key is on. Pulls less than 1 amp and LED's last forever. Might outlast me.View attachment 34824 View attachment 34825
not bad!! Im going to get a little single led and put it on the roll bar recessed in a little tube so it wont reflect off the windshield or window fram. I also wont be able to look at it directly and bother me, have it shine down at shifter and paint the letters white pref using black light led and white blacklight paint!! ONLY PROBLEM IS single black light led bulb the right frequency for luminescent features with the special paint I don't know anything about either one!! I know this will work perfect but it will be trial and error getting the right combo without help from someone that knows the right stuff? anyone know what we
need?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!