P500 Be Honest....Would you rather have a 700 or 500?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We owned a 700-4 and been in and around 500 a lot. Loved our 700 especially after the Fox shocks.
The 500 is a cool little rig and fun to drive on the slower flatter trails. Has surprisingly more power then I would’ve thought and the 5-speed is nice. Engine is very quiet and smooth with enough grunt to make it up about anything. Price point is awesome. Diff lock and shocks (ride is very harsh) are a nice addition. The tippyness of the 500 is unparalleled by anything I’ve ever rode. Some places not a big deal probably but we have a lot of off camber and ruts so it’s brutal. Spacers helped, Ive been in both but at that point you’re as wide as something larger. There weren’t many aftermarket goods available for the machine but after much hard work from members in this site it’s getting better.
700 honestly doesn’t seem to have a whole lot more power but it’s because it’s all stuffed through a three speed (needed more) but it does well. On a couple different occasions we ran out of power on hill climbs, backing down was scary as hell. I was surprised both times that we had plenty of traction but not enough power. That’s probably one of the biggest reason we moved to the 1000 but over all the 700 was great. The ride was fairly hard but Fox shocks made a much bigger difference then even our new machine, definitely suggested. Awesome having a couple extra seats and extra payload. The 700-4 having a full roof is nice to pivot off of trees, that’s something I enjoy with the 1000-5 as well. They hold you up on off camber stuff and allow a much tighter turn. The 700 served us well! Nothing ever broke and was just bulletproof.
Both rigs are end of world ready, not sure which is more dependable but definitely old school Honda quality. Both are fairly quiet but at higher speeds kinda scream. I’d love factory ebrake in the new rig like both those have. Many members have lots of good ideas and trick stuff for both rigs, a lot of information that’s for sure. I know in some places a 50” is important but around here means nothing except a slightly tighter trail and finding a different way in on occasion but most are just some weird off camber tight turns even our larger machines make it through so that’s a non issue here. Between the two I’d have to go 700 especially being family oriented but the 500 is fun, especially in the right terrain.
My personal opinion on the two but everyone likes and needs different things.

Last edited:
Slayer

Slayer

Jul 3, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
We owned a 700-4 and been in and around 500 a lot. Loved our 700 especially after the Fox shocks.
The 500 is a cool little rig and fun to drive on the slower flatter trails. Has surprisingly more power then I would’ve thought and the 5-speed is nice. Engine is very quiet and smooth with enough grunt to make it up about anything. Price point is awesome. Diff lock and shocks (ride is very harsh) are a nice addition. The tippyness of the 500 is unparalleled by anything I’ve ever rode. Some places not a big deal probably but we have a lot of off camber and ruts so it’s brutal. Spacers helped, Ive been in both but at that point you’re as wide as something larger.
700 honestly doesn’t seem to have a whole lot more power but it’s because it’s all stuffed through a three speed (needed more) but it does well. On a couple different occasions we ran out of power on hill climbs, backing down was scary as hell. I was surprised both times that we had plenty of traction but not enough power. That’s probably one of the biggest reason we moved to the 1000 but over all the 700 was great. The ride was fairly hard but Fox shocks made a much bigger difference then even our new machine, definitely suggested. Awesome having a couple extra seats and extra payload. The 700-4 having a full roof is nice to pivot off of trees, that’s something I enjoy with the 1000-5 as well. They hold you up on off camber stuff and allow a much tighter turn. The 700 served us well! Nothing ever broke and was just bulletproof.
Both rigs are end of world ready, not sure which is more dependable. Both are fairly quiet but at higher speeds kinda scream. I’d love factory ebrake in the new rig like both those have. I know in some places a 50” is important but around here means nothing except a slightly tighter trail and finding a different way in on occasion but most are just some weird off camber tight turns even our larger machines make it through so that’s a non issue here. Between the two I’d have to go 700 especially being family oriented but the 500 is fun, especially in the right terrain.
My personal opinion on the two but everyone likes and needs different things.
Thanks for such a well thought out response. Buying a Pioneer is a no brainer for me, I am ready to buy, but I am stuck between the pros and cons of these two machines and my applications. I am not going to be on the types of trails you described. Very flat here in Louisiana. I think for hunting i would prefer the 500 and around the house/work the 700. Maybe I should buy one of each.....lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for such a well thought out response. Buying a Pioneer is a no brainer for me, I am ready to buy, but I am stuck between the pros and cons of these two machines and my applications. I am not going to be on the types of trails you described. Very flat here in Louisiana. I think for hunting i would prefer the 500 and around the house/work the 700. Maybe I should buy one of each.....lol
I was trying to be as honest and upfront as possible. Both are solid rigs but yea you need to figure out what’s the best for your own overall experience. Both are Honda, except for the occasional Yamaha I won’t own anything else ever again.
So...good luck deciding! Stay around and update with pictures and good times once you pull the trigger!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Limitations?
@CumminsPusher mentioned running out of power, and I had the same experience several times. @Montecresto recently sold his 700 for the same reason. Like him, I lived at high elevations where the 700 can struggle with really tough climbs.

Yes, the 700 rides much better...though it's still stiff due to a 1000lbs payload BUT, lessons learned with the 500 would help me if I went with the 700 again. And with a load, they ride ok anyway.

I've done a few things to the 500 now, and im much happier with it. It certainly has its moments...and things going for it. I have fun in it, and will continue to do so until the opportunity to go back to a larger machine presents itself.
That said, starting fresh with a brand new machine, between the 2 of them, I can't see ever taking the 500 over the 700 (esp the 2 seaters close price) again. If you're going with the 500, it's best to keep it on the tiny little trails it's made for. That's where it thrives.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
To choose the P5 you have to be committed to small. Its physical size, weight and gas mileage are the advantages it has. It looks comical and puny at the trail head next to the buses with 100+ HP and 20" of suspension travel, they'll leave you in their dust on wide open trails. Then they try to follow you into the tight stuff and all that HP and suspension goes out the window, now you're waiting on them.
As for how much you can pack, it depends on how you set it up. I carry more than most and still have room for more.
Here's a video showing two P5's in their element, you won't see any buses on these trails. Advantage 500! ;)

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the 500 just because of the size, 700 was just to big to use around my house.i ride the trails , with bigger tires I gains a little ground clearance and that helps overall I like the p5

Reactions: trigger and Slayer
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If the P500 came out with a DCT upgrade like the Honda Rancher to the auto mode it would be great. Its hard to beat for snaking through wooded trails, which often limit faster speeds. Guess it depends on the terrain you plan to ride. The easy seat access and the 5 speed with a low first gear is great for heavy chores as I use my tractor a lot less now.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'd pick the 500 (with upgraded shocks) over the 700 any day unless I needed the extra seats. If the 700 had a low range, that might change.

I'm considering replacing my 500 with the 700 just to have something with extra seats for family. Currently have 500 and a Talon.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
You asked opinions, so here goes.
I prefer the suspension, comfort, and quiet of the 700.
BUT (big but) I have seen WAY too many times that the 700 struggles with load in 1st gear. It has low power combined with only three gears. Simply put, it needs a lower first gear, or 5 speeds! Or a low range? But there are videos all over YouTube of 700's bogging down in 1st gear when trying to climb a hill, or pull a load, and they simply run out of torque/power. I ride in places where I need that low speed torque and ability to crawl up and over obstacles. The 500 does this very well, with it's torquey and low 1st gear. And it fits in and out of obstacles in the woods, I'm forever squeezing between the sides of a narrow wash or between tightly packed trees. 700 would be too wide for this, so between the gearing and the width, doesn't meet my needs.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If I had it to do over, I would stay with the P5, when I got mine I knew what I wanted to do with it,knew the limitations of the P5 nd for my needs it was almost perfect. It does ride rough but you get used to it and going through 50" trails you cannot go fast anyway so crawling speed you don't notice the rough ride as much. (P5 owners also have bigger dicks.)
Have or are? HA!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Valid question. HAVE.
F0DB4016 DE0C 42A9 A93C 328F6367D571

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No typo on my part @Smitty335, you read it correctly. If you don't believe ask all the P5 owners and they will agree as we are honest and humble people.
I agree! I was just trying to stir things up, I do that time to time! HA! Before the Talon came out I wanted a P5 and keep our P1, now I want all three! Well that's not going to happen! Maybe two? We can't get rid of the P1-5 because we use it in the yard so much and utilize the turf mode and haul three pups on trail rides, the pups like to ride more than I do and thats crazy!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I agree! I was just trying to stir things up, I do that time to time! HA! Before the Talon came out I wanted a P5 and keep our P1, now I want all three! Well that's not going to happen! Maybe two? We can't get rid of the P1-5 because we use it in the yard so much and utilize the turf mode and haul three pups on trail rides, the pups like to ride more than I do and thats crazy!
Noting wrong with stirring things up, I live to do that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!