Bent tie rod

J

Jshell3

Far from it! Evans creek WA. We actually got into snow above 6000'

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Awe. Ok. Someone had posted about a poker run this weekend in Arkansas.
I've never done a poke run... and I used to own a cruiser bike.

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So this weekend when out at a 4x4 poker run. Took my eyes off of the trail for a few seconds the passenger front tire didn't quite clear a stump. We were going less than five mph, but it stoped the rig completely. Ended up with both tires pointing outward with a bent inner tie rod. I know many have had this happen befor me, and know they carry spares. I was able to remove it and straighten it back out with a high lift jack handle and a hitch reciever tube, and could finish out the rest of our day. It will get replaced as soon as the new one come in the mail. The thing that suprised me is how slow we were going and fast it happened to us. I know it was not bent befor, because i checked them that morning. So this has me wondering wheather to try to strengthen up the new ones with a few stitch welds sticking a piece of round stock to it, or sleeving it with some tubing. My thoughts are to install it, find my toe adjustment. Then remove it to sleeve it. But does any one think that it will just move the weak point to the rack and pinion, making it a less trail friendly repair. Right know it might be a kind of "fuseable link".
Thoughts? Ideas?

You need Yoga, more focus, less distractions, HA! We are having Yoga class at Mulberry, July 13th & 14th at 5:30 AM before breakfast. Come and learn to walk on rice paper with out crushing the paper.

Reactions: Windrock1000
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need Yoga, more focus, less distractions, HA! We are having Yoga class at Mulberry, July 13th & 14th at 5:30 AM before breakfast. Come and learn to walk on rice paper with out crushing the paper.
I'm normally pretty focused. But was reaching for another package of fruit snacks for my 5 year old daughter.

Reactions: Drwolf855
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And that sounds like that would be something that you could never unsee. Some of our members in a downward walrus pose

S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
Did the same damn thing Memorial Day weekend. Finally have the parts, just need to do it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did the same damn thing Memorial Day weekend. Finally have the parts, just need to do it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Its not bad, just finished mine last night. You'll need a 14mm for the rod end nut, 1 1/4" open end wrench or large crescent for the inner tie rod, 17mm for the outer tie rod jam nut, a a pair of side cutters for the clamp at the rack. Took me 20 mins.