Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, I got the Honda hard coat version, no emblems but no scratches yet after 6 months in woods. Will see for the long term. Glad I bought the hard coat quality and not the Sigature emblem one after seeing the comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: HP5NC and 100Acre
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I've got the honda "hardcoat" one = 08R74-HL5-A01. Theres no black border or signature stickers.
The other honda one is called "optical " = 0SR73-HL5-100 has a black border but no hardcoat.

I really abuse it going through narrow trails with trees clawing on the outer part of the windshield. There are no scratches after 2000 km of use. Only tree sap, which leaves a residue but not a scratch.

I am paranoid about only wiping the windshield after dousing it with loads of water before lightly wiping. NO dry wiping for me. I carry a spray bottle of water for those times when theres no stream around.

Glass is the best as far as scratching goes....but im very impressed with how this
'hardcoat" has stood up compared to any acrylic/lexan i have had experience within the past.

Definitely worth the extra it cost

ill get a picture to show its current condition...

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
No need to do anything to the 200 dollar one to open the hood .
agree have the same one and it seals with a rubber gasket behind the hood. Just remove hood, with window up, if its not up it only takes seconds to put it up. Also now with the roof on if I lay it on its side again I can fold down windshield and get out without climbing out the uphill side.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When the weather warrants it I will open it up to the desired height/opening, You can adjust how much you want it open at the bottom up to about 5 or 6" lock the handle closed on the hinge arm and it stays put no matter where you are riding.
How well does it stay up/stablility, when fully opened at high mph or on rough trails?

Reactions: 13_xxc
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
How well does it stay up/stablility, when fully opened at high mph or on rough trails?
I never had a problem with it not staying up, the cam locks are adjustable so you can make them as tight as you want.

Reactions: 100Acre
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I wish there were either a Consumer Reports version of SXS shopping or a dealership that had all the different windshields on display. Wish in one hand, Shirtz in the other....Whatever I get, it has to work with the Camo Bimini I had already ordered. Another concern I have is how well they seal against the elements around the edges. Something else I'm wondering is, many people's driving habits are in different environments so although each may have similar trail obstructions, some may have more detritus than others like riding in the rainforest-like conditions of the eastern or Pacific Northwestern US vs. dry western deserts or snow covered mountains, coniferous forests and frozen lakes or tundra. I totally value everybody's opinions and each are going to have both shared and personal trail experiences that help rate the equipment we buy for our machines. So making a decision to get a whole, half, folding, flipping, glass, or just foam filled glasses...it's a tough decision to make without ever having seen any of them in person. It's also a lot of money in the scheme of accessories. By the time all is said and done, I'm sure I will have quite a few extra $1000 sunk into this addiction. I definitely want a way to deflect wind, snow, rain and debris without sacrificing visibility or loss of visibility wether it's from mud caked and sun baked or from scratches as large lacerations or small swirly spirals. I may just wait a little longer and concentrate on tires, a winch plus building up the bed and so on. It's a bit overwhelming to the novice like myself, I'm hoping that when I do get one, that it'll be the best for my needs. Again, thank you to everyone for their feedback and your personal opinions, both past and future posts.
I'm pretty frugal and often make the mistake of buying the thing that is "good enough" and I end up spending more to buy the one I should have bought in the future. I tried a low deflector style of windshield but I still got most of the wind in my face. Based on comments on this site I ordered the Superatv full tilt windshield. Here are my observances: in the full close dposition, the inside of it quickly gets dust covered causing visibility issues in the sunlight. In the cracked open position, you can feel the wind actually coming in at the bottom and then traveling up the inside of the windshield. It stays clear way longer than when closed. In the full open position it is stable and no problem going full P500 speed without issues. In any position you have unobstructed view. I use a spray bottle mixed with 50% water and 50% Turtle Wax car wax. By using this spray for cleaning, the windshield gets a bit of a wax coating. Dust doesn't stick as much and water beads off. Just make sure you wipe the wax spray mixture all over and LET IT DRY. Then use a soft cotton cloth to wipe off. The windshield looks like new and is protected.

Reactions: jawquin and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I've been feeling torn between the Super ATV version and the Honda Flip up one. Both with hardcoat and both stated that they worked with the soft Bimini top. A glass shield would've been nice but not really affordable unless I wanted to sacrifice something else. The Super atv one I really liked with the full flip up shield but from what I understand, the lower half isn't hard coated at all and the time/hassle needed to access the trunk. So, I made the Purchase through Honda Parts King as they seemed to have the best price I could find. It's certainly pricy but I think or at least hope I made the right decision. Thank you to everyone for their feedback and the time you took to help educate me, even if I didn't choose your particular brand. All input is greatly appreciated!

Full Poly Tip-Out Windscreen (hard coat)*
Item #08R74-HL5-A01

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I've been feeling torn between the Super ATV version and the Honda Flip up one. Both with hardcoat and both stated that they worked with the soft Bimini top. A glass shield would've been nice but not really affordable unless I wanted to sacrifice something else. The Super atv one I really liked with the full flip up shield but from what I understand, the lower half isn't hard coated at all and the time/hassle needed to access the trunk. So, I made the Purchase through Honda Parts King as they seemed to have the best price I could find. It's certainly pricy but I think or at least hope I made the right decision. Thank you to everyone for their feedback and the time you took to help educate me, even if I didn't choose your particular brand. All input is greatly appreciated!

Full Poly Tip-Out Windscreen (hard coat)*
Item #08R74-HL5-A01

Honda Parts King is in St Johns MI. They are the online sales for the dealership that I bought my Pioneer from, US-27 Powersports. Best prices I found for OEM stuff.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm pretty frugal and often make the mistake of buying the thing that is "good enough" and I end up spending more to buy the one I should have bought in the future. I tried a low deflector style of windshield but I still got most of the wind in my face. Based on comments on this site I ordered the Superatv full tilt windshield. Here are my observances: in the full close dposition, the inside of it quickly gets dust covered causing visibility issues in the sunlight. In the cracked open position, you can feel the wind actually coming in at the bottom and then traveling up the inside of the windshield. It stays clear way longer than when closed. In the full open position it is stable and no problem going full P500 speed without issues. In any position you have unobstructed view. I use a spray bottle mixed with 50% water and 50% Turtle Wax car wax. By using this spray for cleaning, the windshield gets a bit of a wax coating. Dust doesn't stick as much and water beads off. Just make sure you wipe the wax spray mixture all over and LET IT DRY. Then use a soft cotton cloth to wipe off. The windshield looks like new and is protected.

Wax...your adding makes dust
stick..to window..more than not...
have the same problem....
rubbing plastic..causes friction..
puts electrical static charge..on window
which attracts...more dust to stick

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 0022

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought he used a selfie....stick
As dashing and debonair as I may be, I'm not into selfies. I think I've taken maybe 6 in my life. Usually I'm too busy photographing everything around me.

Reactions: Eltobgi and rocmar
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Ya it is a dilemma. The wax coating seems to really make hosing it clean easy But like my truck, fine dust sticks.
So far, branches aren't causing any scratches.
My first generation box caravan had a "spoiler" air fin thing just above the rear window. It grabbed air off of the top and blew it down the back. It changed the air flow and way less dust on the back. Maybe something like it could be incorporated on the back of the roof on the p500?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Ya it is a dilemma. The wax coating seems to really make hosing it clean easy But like my truck, fine dust sticks.
So far, branches aren't causing any scratches.
My first generation box caravan had a "spoiler" air fin thing just above the rear window. It grabbed air off of the top and blew it down the back. It changed the air flow and way less dust on the back. Maybe something like it could be incorporated on the back of the roof on the p500?

You could try....Dust wins every time...
to me...dust/ mud/dirt....is part
of it....& want it...to stay that way...
"Dance in the dust, turn the radio up"

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
In your opinions, what it the best bang for your buck Windshield? I'd prefer one of the tilt out ones. It looks like there are a number to choose from on rockyMtnATV. Money is tight but I want good quality. Are there any home made windshields worth looking into? Thanks.
100Acre. I made a Lexan or polycarbonate, you can get it at a auto glass place, and maybe they will have a piece, like me , lying around for a good price. the only thin I found was it scratched easy ,just wiping fine dust off it. The hard coat is nice, no Scratches, but I'm fighting with Honda about cracks coming from the upper hinge brackets towards each other. The website says " WILL NOT CRACK ". If the brackets were too tight the cracks would be going towards the frame. other guys have the same windshield and love it. And I do love mine, being able to tilt it up on warm days is great. With the scratches on the Lexan, it's hard to see in bright sun, only problem. But A LOT cheaper. haha

Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
In your opinions, what it the best bang for your buck Windshield? I'd prefer one of the tilt out ones. It looks like there are a number to choose from on rockyMtnATV. Money is tight but I want good quality. Are there any home made windshields worth looking into? Thanks.
I have a tip out. lifts out from the bottom. Love it. Hard to scratch. , good air flow.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 43324[/QU
I use NUVOS, its specially made for polycarbonate, leaves it like new. Harley uses it on there windshields. Goes a long way.
Caper

advertisement