P1000 Better Handling for my 1000-3 after doing 500 miles in Quebec

S

slinky750

Dec 1, 2018
Rouses Point NY
So after being nervous about a sensor issue with only 250 miles on my pioneer I got it back and headed to Quebec to run some of the ATV trails up there. I was very impressed with how this thing ran and the fuel consumption on our 500 mile trip (250 miles a day). But up there 80% of the riding is logging roads and stone covered roads. There is very little pavement up there. I have a 1000 EPS. The front shocks are not adjustable but i have spring spacers to help hold my V plow for the winter. The rears i do have on the softest settings but i didn't have a wrench to adjust them on the trip. I feel rear adjustment is a waste of time when you can't adjust the front. I am running a full cab so definitely top heavy.

What would some recommendations be to get this thing to handle better.. without just trading in for a Talon! I like the bed!. Would I benefit from Fox shocks and doing some +2 forward front A arms? I feel that with the wheel base being so short the ass end wants to come around on sweeping corners. We ran anywhere from 35 - 50mph on these logging roads.

I don't plan on doing any mudding and really don't want a whole lot more lift as its already top heavy enough. Im just looking for options before I look into moving to a more sport oriented side x side.

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fox shocks or elka stage 5 would make a big difference. Off set A arms arent going to help much.

Shocks will help most.

What wheels and tires are you running?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after being nervous about a sensor issue with only 250 miles on my pioneer I got it back and headed to Quebec to run some of the ATV trails up there. I was very impressed with how this thing ran and the fuel consumption on our 500 mile trip (250 miles a day). But up there 80% of the riding is logging roads and stone covered roads. There is very little pavement up there. I have a 1000 EPS. The front shocks are not adjustable but i have spring spacers to help hold my V plow for the winter. The rears i do have on the softest settings but i didn't have a wrench to adjust them on the trip. I feel rear adjustment is a waste of time when you can't adjust the front. I am running a full cab so definitely top heavy.

What would some recommendations be to get this thing to handle better.. without just trading in for a Talon! I like the bed!. Would I benefit from Fox shocks and doing some +2 forward front A arms? I feel that with the wheel base being so short the ass end wants to come around on sweeping corners. We ran anywhere from 35 - 50mph on these logging roads.

I don't plan on doing any mudding and really don't want a whole lot more lift as its already top heavy enough. Im just looking for options before I look into moving to a more sport oriented side x side.
X2 on the shocks. No comparison on handling. Also play with the tire pressure. I'm happy with the fox. Very easy to adjust and easy install.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
X3 here on shocks. I do think it handles a little better with forward a-arms. The longer the rig is the more tenancy it has to stay straight over the bumps and washboards, makes it a little less squirrelly, I think I’d go that way especially if you widen the machine. Could try wheel spacers as well. @RB3offroad sells those. The larger the footprint the better for what you’re looking to do.

D

DDDonkey

I have the forward a-arms and the 814 shocks with truck tires and I think it handles great. I did notice a large improvement by changing out the shocks. The changing of the shocks and tires took out the body roll and made the buggy feel more planted when driving if that makes sense.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the forward a-arms and the 814 shocks with truck tires and I think it handles great. I did notice a large improvement by changing out the shocks. The changing of the shocks and tires took out the body roll and made the buggy feel more planted when driving if that makes sense.
I agree! I really like my forward A arms, shocks brand X and 30 inch tires.

S

slinky750

Dec 1, 2018
Rouses Point NY
I'll be ordering shocks for sure...the a-arms maybe after..I'm running 28" STI XComps
20190804 082137
20190803 090431

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It actually runs pretty straight down the road....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
@Cal did bring up good question. Most of these come out of the stealership still towed out from factory. It’s always worth a quick look.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!