Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I know everyone loves the Rugged Radio intercom system but it seems overkill for the Wife and I (plus a bit more than I want to spend.). We mainly just want one so we can talk comfortably while driving down the trails
Anyone find a decent cheap helmet intercom system that works good in the side by sides? I noticed Amazon has a BUNCH for around 100 bucks and was wondering if anyone has tried one.

Reactions: Mudwing
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know everyone loves the Rugged Radio intercom system but it seems overkill for the Wife and I (plus a bit more than I want to spend.). We mainly just want one so we can talk comfortably while driving down the trails
Anyone find a decent cheap helmet intercom system that works good in the side by sides? I noticed Amazon has a BUNCH for around 100 bucks and was wondering if anyone has tried one.
I use SENA brand on my motorcycle. I've used it SxS to dirt bike and quad to dirt bike as well. Work great, but not cheap. Not sure about other brands.

Used a cheap pair of cobra handheld radio's (bought at walmart for like $49 for the pair at the time) from quad to quad many years ago. It got the job done.

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A lot of 2 way radios have an option to plug in an Earpiece/mic. That might be worth a try.

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use SENA brand on my motorcycle. I've used it SxS to dirt bike and quad to dirt bike as well. Work great, but not cheap. Not sure about other brands.

Used a cheap pair of cobra handheld radio's (bought at walmart for like $49 for the pair at the time) from quad to quad many years ago. It got the job done.
We use the SENA as well but not cheap!!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a set of cardo communicators. I don't use them much. I got them for riding motorcycles. They worked okay, but you need a good quiet helmet. I think on a side by side they would work really well because there is far less wind and engine noise. I used it more for the fm radio and streaming music from my phone when I was commuting 45 miles one way. My wife could never figure out which button to press to talk so we did that like once. And my old bike was so ridiculously loud it just wasn't practical. I have a quieter bike now and It is cool being able to safely make phone calls with it using siri while riding down the road. Honestly other than streaming music while commuting, it wasn't a good purchase for me. Half the time I would forget to charge it and couldn't use it anyway.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a set of cardo communicators. I don't use them much. I got them for riding motorcycles. They worked okay, but you need a good quiet helmet. I think on a side by side they would work really well because there is far less wind and engine noise. I used it more for the fm radio and streaming music from my phone when I was commuting 45 miles one way. My wife could never figure out which button to press to talk so we did that like once. And my old bike was so ridiculously loud it just wasn't practical. I have a quieter bike now and It is cool being able to safely make phone calls with it using siri while riding down the road. Honestly other than streaming music while commuting, it wasn't a good purchase for me. Half the time I would forget to charge it and couldn't use it anyway.

This...

I have friends in my Harley group that just loved the Cardo bluetooth setup but as you stated they pretty much had to wear full face helmets to be able to hear well. They do work and even at some distance from bike to bike. My MIL has loaned me a set she picked up at a garage sale I'm going to try, I think on the buggy setting next to each other they should work pretty well if we can learn how to configure them correctly :p

Here's an alternate brand to the Rugged setup that I've been considering:
The COM S2 Intercom Kit - TheCOM

If you go through their menu they even have a radio/intercom option like Rugged, by the way this radio package this company sells is made by TYT which is exactly who makes the Rugged brand, but...FWIW the Rugged is made to their specific spec which is 60 watt compared to this company that is 25 watt. For those that would like to add this intercom to their existing TYT radio they do sell the jumper cable only as does Rugged. I don't know nor have I tried either cable for compatibility yet.

The COM S2 Intercom w 25 watt Radio: Plug 'n Play on Rear Crossbar - TheCOM

Last edited:
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
We got a set of those ~$100 bluetooth intercom systems last year, it was an "allros 3.0" which is now discontinued from amazon. They do work great for our needs, which was to be able to communicate with my 8 year old on his quad following the sxs on the trails. We usually left it in intercom mode, basically an open mic both ways, and it was audible/clear for a few hours before recharging. Used it to link to phone for music and has it's own FM player as well.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Sena SMH5 works great on sxs for me and my daughter. And fairly affordable. Ours came from a sale at revzilla.com

Reactions: NTCPrezJB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!