P500 Breather under water, what now?

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Well, my lease is flooded, we have had copious amounts of rain lately. Driving down a flooded road that a skidder evidently drove down sometime before me. Water was all up in my lap like right now. Machine started coughing, died. I got out found the winch under the muddy water and winched the thing out. Sat scratching my head and thinking about what to do. I checked the oil to see if water was in it, no, clean and at normal level. Intake appears to have been just barely under for just a moment. Was going to dissamble breather assembly, unloaded my rack with all the lease maintenance accoutrements and then thought, I will try and start it. Turned it over and it acted like it wanted to start, like it had bad gas, (it did, water in the gas). Kept turning it over, it coughed a few times and started up. I went ahead and drove it for about 4 more hours while working around the lease, and it ran very rough for about the first two hours and then smoothed on out like nothing happened. My question is, what now, do I need to do anything to it? I am going to take the air filter out tomorrow and clean it and the housing. What else should I do. Never thought I wanted a snorkel until today. Also, I believe if I had a little taller, and more aggressive tires other than the stocks, I would probably have pulled right through the hole. After it died and we got out to winch it to dry land, it climbed on top of over a foot of mud. Nasty place.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi..
For everyone reading. I cant stress how important it is to extend your fuel tank breather hose. This has been the #1 cause of almost all Pioneer's cutting off when seat deep or better.

This will explain.
Fuel tank breather hose - IMPORTANT if you ride water!

SO PLEASE. EXTEND YOUR FUEL TANK HOSES IF NOTHING ELSE!

-----------------------------
@cthack, Sorry to here this. Most likley the fuel is the only issue if the air box and drain tube is dry.
You could see a little in the front and rear diff but it want be like the fuel tank sucking it in!

Thanks.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would recommend checking fuel tank for dirt! If any, I would remove tank clean thoroughly, and reinstall. Fill, add Seafoam or some other product. Then Snorkle it, extend all breather lines upward, pick up bigger tires, and immediately go back to where it happened and redeem yourself!;) Good luck!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hi..
For everyone reading. I cant stress how important it is to extend your fuel tank breather hose. This has been the #1 cause of almost all Pioneer's cutting off when seat deep or better.

This will explain.

@cthack, Sorry to here this. Most likley the fuel is the only issue if the air box and drain tube is dry.
You could see a little in the front and rear diff but it want be like the fuel tank sucking it in!

Thanks.
That's good information, thanks for posting it!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, my lease is flooded, we have had copious amounts of rain lately. Driving down a flooded road that a skidder evidently drove down sometime before me. Water was all up in my lap like right now. Machine started coughing, died. I got out found the winch under the muddy water and winched the thing out. Sat scratching my head and thinking about what to do. I checked the oil to see if water was in it, no, clean and at normal level. Intake appears to have been just barely under for just a moment. Was going to dissamble breather assembly, unloaded my rack with all the lease maintenance accoutrements and then thought, I will try and start it. Turned it over and it acted like it wanted to start, like it had bad gas, (it did, water in the gas). Kept turning it over, it coughed a few times and started up. I went ahead and drove it for about 4 more hours while working around the lease, and it ran very rough for about the first two hours and then smoothed on out like nothing happened. My question is, what now, do I need to do anything to it? I am going to take the air filter out tomorrow and clean it and the housing. What else should I do. Never thought I wanted a snorkel until today. Also, I believe if I had a little taller, and more aggressive tires other than the stocks, I would probably have pulled right through the hole. After it died and we got out to winch it to dry land, it climbed on top of over a foot of mud. Nasty place.
I sure hope your rides ok buddy!

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Hi..

This will explain.

Thanks.
Sure enough, water in the air box.
Thanks Hondasxs for the advise.

I cleaned it all out, cleaned and oiled filter, installed sea foam in tank, snorkeled the fuel tank vent and went ahead and snorkeled the breather. Took a little time, but was very inexpensive. I bought 6' of fuel line, used all but 8" of it. One piece of ABS 2" pipe, one, 90, one turn back fitting and one 1 1/2"x 2" flexible coupling. Fairly easy mod. I ran the fuel tank vent up with the air snorkel, you can just see the end of it at the intake for the snorkel. Hopefully this will eliminate the frustration that I went through this weekend.

IMG 0839

IMG 0831
I
IMG 0846

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Sure enough, water in the air box.
Thanks Hondasxs for the advise.

I cleaned it all out, cleaned and oiled filter, installed sea foam in tank, snorkeled the fuel tank vent and went ahead and snorkeled the breather. Took a little time, but was very inexpensive. I bought 6' of fuel line, used all but 8" of it. One piece of ABS 2" pipe, one, 90, one turn back fitting and one 1 1/2"x 2" flexible coupling. Fairly easy mod. I ran the fuel tank vent up with the air snorkel, you can just see the end of it at the intake for the snorkel. Hopefully this will eliminate the frustration that I went through this weekend.

View attachment 21277

View attachment 21273 I View attachment 21276
IMG 0845
I wanted to point out that I also had to melt the pipe just a bit with a torch in order to make room for the rack. A heat gun would have been ideal, but I didn't want to dig through all my junk to find it. It deflected the pipe slightly, shouldn't impede the air flow needed for the machine sense I used 2" pipe as a riser and the OEM breather assembly is just 1 1/2".

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 21279 I wanted to point out that I also had to melt the pipe just a bit with a torch in order to make room for the rack. A heat gun would have been ideal, but I didn't want to dig through all my junk to find it. It deflected the pipe slightly, shouldn't impede the air flow needed for the machine sense I used 2" pipe as a riser and the OEM breather assembly is just 1 1/2".
Good news ct, looks good too!

Reactions: cthack
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 21279 I wanted to point out that I also had to melt the pipe just a bit with a torch in order to make room for the rack. A heat gun would have been ideal, but I didn't want to dig through all my junk to find it. It deflected the pipe slightly, shouldn't impede the air flow needed for the machine sense I used 2" pipe as a riser and the OEM breather assembly is just 1 1/2".

Is it a lot louder now?

advertisement
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Is it a lot louder now?
Exhaust or intake? I didn't notice any increase in either. The first thing I thought about when placing the intake right next to my head. I guess with a small single cylinder it doesn't pull much air. The two inch pipe is really overkill. When you think about it, most v-8 engines have air intake necked down to 2 or 3".0905or 01 z2Bbanks ram air intake2Bstock intake system

Reactions: trigger
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Be sure to change the oil. And watch/inspect it for traces of water.
Your differentials are probably OK but, I would check them also.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Exhaust or intake? I didn't notice any increase in either. The first thing I thought about when placing the intake right next to my head. I guess with a small single cylinder it doesn't pull much air. The two inch pipe is really overkill. When you think about it, most v-8 engines have air intake necked down to 2 or 3".View attachment 21321
Yeah intake...read somewhere that someone thought it was louder with a snorkel.
That's why I baled on doing that mod early in the build.

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Yeah intake...read somewhere that someone thought it was louder with a snorkel.
That's why I baled on doing that mod early in the build.
I never thought it was necessary to snorkel. Until I swamped it! I don't intend to ever get the machine that deep again. I didn't intend to do it this time. I don't like water all up in my gentleman's region when out on a long ride. It is downright uncomfortable. I really don't like the machine sputtering out an hours walk away from camp. Also, I ride by myself a lot and just as soon not be stranded. I hope this mod keeps me going even when I misjudge the water depth.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I never thought it was necessary to snorkel. Until I swamped it! I don't intend to ever get the machine that deep again. I didn't intend to do it this time. I don't like water all up in my gentleman's region when out on a long ride. It is downright uncomfortable. I really don't like the machine sputtering out an hours walk away from camp. Also, I ride by myself a lot and just as soon not be stranded. I hope this mod keeps me going even when I misjudge the water depth.

Excellent post. This echoes my views on snorkeling perfectly. I'm 50 years old and I've done it twice. That's why I want it snorkeled.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm with Gator! My echoes as well. Hopefully things are good now

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: cthack
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many posts like this do I have to read until I just snorkel it already?!? I don't know what I'm waiting for but now I'm doing it! Thanks @cthack for pushing me over the edge, this story hit home for me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Did this happen in a routine creek crossing, or is your lease down there in the bottoms and there was some serious flooding that you waded off into?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How many posts like this do I have to read until I just snorkel it already?!? I don't know what I'm waiting for but now I'm doing it! Thanks @cthack for pushing me over the edge, this story hit home for me.
CA's still in a drought, you're ok T!

Reactions: Tflynn
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!