P1000 Broken Steering

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got on my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 EPS and put it in reverse. Turned the steering wheel and the front tires didn’t turn.
Either the bottom shaft is stripped out, and/or the steering knuckle/u-joint assembly is stripped. The knuckle/u-joint assembly is turning on the shaft. The bolt is tight.
Anybody ever heard of this happening? Is this a common problem? I do not mud ride with it and I’ve been very easy on this side x side. I mainly ride gravel roads and asphalt.
The machine has about 5,700 miles with 30” High Lifter X Comp tires on 14” rims. It also has a 3” lift. The lift was on it when I bought it used a couple years ago. This is the first problem it’s ever given me.

Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's probably one of the knuckles. I've had 2 of mine strip out. They are expensive from honda. Look on eaby and you can find the whole assembly or half of it, for a decent price. Then you will have some extra parts if it ever does it again. The knuckles are all the same but the shafts are different.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It also has a 3” lift.
Bracket lifts Changes geometry of things in the rig from normal to not normal and then comes premature ware and tear cuz you are not a by any means an abuser of your machine. Thats why many of us suggest against them. I had the same issue with mine.

Like said before, look for used, much cheeper.
Also Check the splines on all the shafts when u take it apart and make sure they are not striped as well.

Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank You! No doubt mine should definitely be covered under this recall. I made a post under the recall thread. I hope the dealer don’t give me any trouble. They didn’t in the past when I had recalls taken care of there.
Id take that lift off before taking it in tho.
Just in case.

Reactions: bumperm
Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Id take that lift off before taking it in tho.
Just in case.
After talking with a local dealer this morning, the steering recall was supposedly done on it back in January of 2022 when I had it at their dealership for other recalls. The guy told me that he has still seen problems with the steering joint even after the recall “fix” was performed.
He said I need to call Honda Monday morning when they open.
I’m sure hoping this situation goes smooth and Honda makes it right.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After talking with a local dealer this morning, the steering recall was supposedly done on it back in January of 2022 when I had it at their dealership for other recalls. The guy told me that he has still seen problems with the steering joint even after the recall “fix” was performed.
He said I need to call Honda Monday morning when they open.
I’m sure hoping this situation goes smooth and Honda makes it right.
First time mine stripped was due to the bolt being incorrectly installed by some idiot when the machine was being manufactured. The second time it happened was because the bolt through the knuckle was incorrectly installed by another idiot(me). I'm sure the tech that did your recall work probably did the same thing. There is a groove in the shafts that has to be lined up with the bolt that goes through the knuckle.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Called Honda and the lady gave me a case number. I have to drop the side x side off at the dealer this Thursday, 04-25-2024 and let them look at it.

Reactions: Vikes79
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!