Multi Building a weekend camper/toy hauler

J

JTW

So I ordered my cargo trailer last week. 7x14 dual axle, V-nose with 12" extra height and some other extras (insulation, touring package, etc.) I'll be driving down to Georgia to pick it up at the factory in a few weeks. I'll keep you all posted on the adventure. I may even do a video series on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I look forward to seeing your build!

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
I've decided to do a YouTube series on the build and the whole process involved from buying, to building, to using the converted trailer. It's my very first YouTube video ever. If you guys want to follow the journey and get notifications on when my new uploads are available, please subscribe to my channel. I just uploaded it today, so you guys will be the first.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've decided to do a YouTube series on the build and the whole process involved from buying, to building, to using the converted trailer. It's my very first YouTube video ever. If you guys want to follow the journey and get notifications on when my new uploads are available, please subscribe to my channel. I just uploaded it today, so you guys will be the first.

Best of luck, one thing that was brought to my attention is not all campgrounds will allow conversions as a camper.

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
Best of luck, one thing that was brought to my attention is not all campgrounds will allow conversions as a camper.

Interesting. You mean even if they allow RVs, they may not allow utility trailers?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting. You mean even if they allow RVs, they may not allow utility trailers?

No I mean they won't allow cargo trailer conversions. That are now utility trailers. A lot will but others won't.

I'm just going to have to hit the powerball.

Reactions: JTW
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have been using one for almost 2 years. Been to private and state camp grounds in oregon, Washington, and british Columbia and haven't ran into any of them having an issue with a utility trailer conversion.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Edog
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have been using one for almost 2 years. Been to private and state camp grounds in oregon, Washington, and british Columbia and haven't ran into any of them having an issue with a utility trailer conversion.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Good to know, money talks. Makes sense too, not sure what the prohibition to them would be.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know, money talks. Makes sense too, not sure what the prohibition to them would be.

So far it has been privately owned parks in locations that we would want to be close to. There's a very small number of beach front parks on the Gulf of Mexico. They all limit you to 7 years of age, rentals, and NO "conversions" meaning NOTHING that did not originate as an RV.

So they don't want to have hippies in fry oil busses camping out in there, Robin Williams in that RV movie he made, or uncle Eddie in his RRRRR VEEEE.

Then there's a few creek or river front campgrounds in the Smokies that have the same rules however, Nat Parks don't care.

Someone brought it up and I called the CGs that we've stayed at before and got that answer. There's a few state parks around here that also don't care.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So far it has been privately owned parks in locations that we would want to be close to. There's a very small number of beach front parks on the Gulf of Mexico. They all limit you to 7 years of age, rentals, and NO "conversions" meaning NOTHING that did not originate as an RV.

So they don't want to have hippies in fry oil busses camping out in there, Robin Williams in that RV movie he made, or uncle Eddie in his RRRRR VEEEE.

Then there's a few creek or river front campgrounds in the Smokies that have the same rules however, Nat Parks don't care.

Someone brought it up and I called the CGs that we've stayed at before and got that answer. There's a few state parks around here that also don't care.
Same old same old, punish everyone because of the few rotten apples. I've seen some conversions that are nicer than Forest River products.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I only take my toy hauler to places that allow you to ride golf carts and ATV's/UTV's, and those places aren't going to prohibit conversions. I've seen those coastal parks referenced and they're spic and span properties that usually don't allow ATV's and for the cost you may as well get a room.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only take my toy hauler to places that allow you to ride golf carts and ATV's/UTV's, and those places aren't going to prohibit conversions. I've seen those coastal parks referenced and they're spic and span properties that usually don't allow ATV's and for the cost you may as well get a room.

Yeah but the towers have 10000 people and your shoulder to shoulder with everyone else. These parks have maybe 50 spots and the old folks enjoy the view or hang out with the other million dollar ClassA owners. So the beach is quiet clean and basically empty.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah but the towers have 10000 people and your shoulder to shoulder with everyone else. These parks have maybe 50 spots and the old folks enjoy the view or hang out with the other million dollar ClassA owners. So the beach is quiet clean and basically empty.
Exactly, and them old folks don't want ATV's running around anyway.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same old same old, punish everyone because of the few rotten apples. I've seen some conversions that are nicer than Forest River products.

There are some really spectacular conversions on the Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forum. There's a CTC sub forum.

Also there's incredible bus conversions but these parks are using the age and conversion limitation to be able to easily control the riffraff or be uppity ClassA mega coach snobs.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There are some really spectacular conversions on the Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forum. There's a CTC sub forum.

Also there's incredible bus conversions but these parks are using the age and conversion limitation to be able to easily control the riffraff or be uppity ClassA mega coach snobs.
Probably the latter.

Reactions: Plumber32
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably the latter.

I wouldn't make that a blanket statement there are probably some that try to maintain a standard and if yours is nice clean and well put together they will let you right on in but show Uncle Eddie the nearest exit.

Reactions: Plumber32
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I wouldn't make that a blanket statement there are probably some that try to maintain a standard and if yours is nice clean and well put together they will let you right on in but show Uncle Eddie the nearest exit.
The way you have framed this whole issue of certain campgrounds prohibiting conversions from the beginning seemed not to make any exceptions for "nice" conversions, shrug.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The way you have framed this whole issue of certain campgrounds prohibiting conversions from the beginning seemed not to make any exceptions for "nice" conversions, shrug.

I don't know what they'd actually do, I was told NONE, but I give people the benefit of doubt while remaining a cynic.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!