Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm torn between buying or building... I'm just not sure I'll save much money building.

Building is fun and you get exactly what you want. Companies build as cheap as possible and cut money wherever they can. I'd suggest for anyone that has the ability to just do it. If efficiency and durability are a concern at all especially for a small unit go that route. You may not save a ton in the end but everything is how you want it and if done right you can have a unit that's super easy to use, winter-proof easy, have backups in play etc. plus if anything does go wrong down the road you have great understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My problem is I already have 5th wheel trailer, so I dont want to have 2 campers.
I have plenty of truck to tow a small flatbed trailer behind the 5er. Just not sure I want to do that.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Im just not sure how much you really need for a couple days. The wife wants a shower and commode, just not sure you really need all that. A countertop, small sink, portable toliet, fold down beds and a good outside awning would work for a long weekend trip.

Yeah.. our horse trailer has everything but a bathroom. It was fine for a week or so.. most places have shower accommodations. So it's just preference at that point.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I looked into a toyhauler, they just dont seem to be worth the cost.

Reactions: popeye and JTW
J

JTW

I looked into a toyhauler, they just dont seem to be worth the cost.

I'm not seeing exactly what I want... I'm with ya. In truth they should be cheaper than a good nice used campers as they are less finished space. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I've even thought about going with a horse trailer with living quarters. I just haven't gotten too serious about it yet as I'm still uncertain what I want. Sounds like finding stuff that will hold the pioneer might be an issue

Toyhauler33

Toyhauler33

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mid Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an enclosed 7x16 w/ 7 ft ramp door that we use for weekend trips. It works, but I should've got an 8x18. I have to pull in slanted and crawl over the door to get out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm fairly certain an 8.5x18 is what I'd buy. Need to lay it out on garage floor with tape and see if everything I want will fit inside.
I built a 23fter. And after putting cabinets against the front wall. I have 3-4' in front of the 1k for coolers and clothes bags. And then about 6' behind it for the pit bikes and the kids quads. I wouldn't want to do it to anything shorter

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toyhauler33
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built a 23fter. And after putting cabinets against the front wall. I have 3-4' in front of the 1k for coolers and clothes bags. And then about 6' behind it for the pit bikes and the kids quads. I wouldn't want to do it to anything shorter

I'm thinking about weight and length, minimalistic design. Cram as much into as little as possible. This ain't glamping, I want the family to be able to get the mud off, stay warm/cool, cook and sleep semi comfortably. For a Friday and sat night.

Not concerned about boondocking, or living out of it for a month. Maybe we could extend to 3-5 days, but I doubt it.

Sink
Shower
toilet
heat/cool
3 way fridge fridge
1 or 2 burner stove
convection microwave oven
enough storage for the stuff we'd need
4bunks

The last one can fold on the wall at the rear where the 1000 would fit.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C3f90f83a029606bc81ed5ce151d86bb
We are far from glamping. No shower sink or oven. And still it fills up pretty fast when you load the pioneer in it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
72f1522fb44ad866bb6a66f37daa7775
Here's an idea for free easy storage. Cut the flooring between the cross members. It's not much but it gets the tools out of Mama's cabinets

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C3f90f83a029606bc81ed5ce151d86bb
We are far from glamping. No shower sink or oven. And still it fills up pretty fast when you load the pioneer in it.

Well may try a few configurations on the floor first. Why I haven't be ale to pull trigger.

Reactions: JTW and popeye
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well may try a few configurations on the floor first. Why I haven't be ale to pull trigger.
Do you have a truck that could do a goose neck trailer? I wish I would of went that route from the beginning

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My next project for it once the weather gets better will be folding bunks for the kids and a Murphy bed for us.

I have a king size foam mattress going to cut in half thickness wise for us and then the other half convert to twins. Haven't figured out the king mounting though.

Maybe fold out on Left wall and fold out bunks down right side?

Reactions: popeye
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a king size foam mattress going to cut in half thickness wise for us and then the other half convert to twins. Haven't figured out the king mounting though.

Maybe fold out on Left wall and fold out bunks down right side?
Thats what i was thinking for ours. But in queen size though. But haven't done any measurements.

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
So I ordered my cargo trailer last week. 7x14 dual axle, V-nose with 12" extra height and some other extras (insulation, touring package, etc.) I'll be driving down to Georgia to pick it up at the factory in a few weeks. I'll keep you all posted on the adventure. I may even do a video series on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I ordered my cargo trailer last week. 7x14 dual axle, V-nose with 12" extra height and some other extras (insulation, touring package, etc.) I'll be driving down to Georgia to pick it up at the factory in a few weeks. I'll keep you all posted on the adventure. I may even do a video series on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is always exciting!!

Reactions: Edog

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!