Can I ride my sxs in/around the Grand Canyon?

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Canyon sometime next year, my question is can I ride my sxs in the canyon or around the canyon? Are there tours we can do with our own buggy and not have to rent one? What are some good places to ride out that way? We have never been out west and are planning to spend a couple of weeks out there doing the tourist thing. Any suggestions would be great... almost any suggestions... forgot what forum I was on for a minute there.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've ridden off the North Rim in the national forest near Parrissaswampitts point. Very cool area and totally cool geology. The south Rim is way more touristy. I was able to ride my 1000 in Glacier NP but only on paved roads. No backcountry. My guess will be the same there unless its in a NF or on Indian land and you'll most likely have to pay a fee to do that.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've ridden off the North Rim in the national forest near Parrissaswampitts point. Very cool area and totally cool geology. The south Rim is way more touristy. I was able to ride my 1000 in Glacier NP but only on paved roads. No backcountry. My guess will be the same there unless its in a NF or on Indian land and you'll most likely have to pay a fee to do that.
Yeah, I’ve seen those pics you post and that really got me thinking I want to go out west and ride.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Riding in the Grand Canyon, you mean like Evil Knievel?

I have made a couple of trips west with vehicles, ATVs and SxS.
And I have twice rented a SxS at a destination.
Renting is easyer and cheaper, but my next trip I want to trailer my p500.

One of the problems is figuring out where you can ride.
For National Forest land they put out Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) that tell you where you can ride what type of vehicle.
Link is for the maps around the canyon:

Attachments

• fseprd699198.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

For National Forest land they put out Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) that tell you where you can ride what type of vehicle.

Hopefully NOT like Evil Knievel... as I recall, that didn’t workout to good for him. I mean more like a tourist, cruising around taking pics , like that.

advertisement
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Cool stuff, that gives me a place to start, thanks.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I would like to hit some of those places, we did red rock canyon out in los Vegas by car it was beautiful, would love to see some more like that.
Plan a trip on here and maybe meetup with other members. I've done that a bunch. I've ridden all over Utah and there are still places I want to see. If the SHTF can wait, I wouldn't mind another winter trip to Utah.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The wife and I are planning a trip to Grand Canyon sometime next year, my question is can I ride my sxs in the canyon or around the canyon? Are there tours we can do with our own buggy and not have to rent one? What are some good places to ride out that way? We have never been out west and are planning to spend a couple of weeks out there doing the tourist thing. Any suggestions would be great... almost any suggestions... forgot what forum I was on for a minute there.
Both Utah and Arizona allow plating OHVs - are you able to plate in NC? If so, chances are you're allowed on any roads with posted speeds 45 or less IIRC. Since I hope to spend a lot of time in both states, I want to get a non-resident plate so I can drive around while I'm down there.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in NC and they don't register ATV's here. I always just got a off road permit from whatever state I ride in

Reactions: CID
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Utah, AZ, and I believe NV used to accept each other's UTV license plates, but the states can't get along and now we must buy whatever offroad stickers for the state we wish to ride in. Getting plates here requires installing a $300ish street legal kit and a certificate of inspection from an independent shop. Utah allows for riding with sticker or plate on nearly any road with posted speed limit of 50MPH or less. In the rural areas, UTVs aren't exactly highly regulated, we mostly just follow rule #1 - don't bang into s#!t and all is well.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Utah, AZ, and I believe NV used to accept each other's UTV license plates, but the states can't get along and now we must buy whatever offroad stickers for the state we wish to ride in. Getting plates here requires installing a $300ish street legal kit and a certificate of inspection from an independent shop. Utah allows for riding with sticker or plate on nearly any road with posted speed limit of 50MPH or less. In the rural areas, UTVs aren't exactly highly regulated, we mostly just follow rule #1 - don't bang into s#!t and all is well.
Where do you get off-road stickers for these states, ranger station?

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where do you get off-road stickers for these states, ranger station?
That's where I've gotten them in the past but call ahead to any particular station in that area.

Reactions: Ridinfool
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely order them ahead of time if possible. Because I've gone out year after year and never having an itinerary sometimes I'd just pick one up at a ranger station if old permits were expired.

Reactions: Ridinfool and CID
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!