Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@craigclark Welcome to the club and congrats on the P1K3. I'm not sure how much you played with it but I would first start it up and put the lever in turf mode and drive it forward for at least 25 feet then do a full circle left or right and see if it disengages. Sometimes it will show still locked when moving very short distances such as off the trailer and into the garage. If by chance it still remains in the locked position the cable box that controls all the different drive functions is below and behind the drivers seat in front of the left rear tire. It is about 2" tall and 5"x5" square. I know of one other person who got derbis in there and was affecting it working properly and two other in very cold climates that had it freeze up due to water infiltration and then freezing up when setting overnight.

Let us know if either resolves your issues, sorry to hear your having a problem with it.

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@craigclark Welcome to the club and congrats on the P1K3. I'm not sure how much you played with it but I would first start it up and put the lever in turf mode and drive it forward for at least 25 feet then do a full circle left or right and see if it disengages. Sometimes it will show still locked when moving very short distances such as off the trailer and into the garage. If by chance it still remains in the locked position the cable box that controls all the different drive functions is below and behind the drivers seat in front of the left rear tire. It is about 2" tall and 5"x5" square. I know of one other person who got derbis in there and was affecting it working properly and two other in very cold climates that had it freeze up due to water infiltration and then freezing up when setting overnight.

Let us know if either resolves your issues, sorry to hear your having a problem with it.

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took it to the dealer with a copy of your suggestion. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Craig

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had the same issue, and the 2wd/4wd cable (trace it from underneath the hood to the shift lever on the front diff) was too tight, not allowing the shift lever to drop completely out of 4wd when it should have been in 2wd, and kept it all locked up too. I loosened the adjuster nut to where there was slack, then tightened it back just to feel a bit of resistance and it fixed my issue.

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
talked to Honda today. they are baffled and been in touch main Honda. they did everything you suggested and still can't get it out of 4 lock. won't have it back before Memorial weekend. only has less than 200 miles on it. I am very disappointed and wonder if I made a mistake going with the Honda pioneer 1000. They may have to put in a new front differential. better buy the extended warranty. disappointed to the extreme. also embarrassed with my riding buddy's having bragged about how great the machine was.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think this problem is a fluke, first I have heard of it. Don't be too concerned quite yet.

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They got the rear unlocked but can't get the front to unlock. I'm not giving up yet. I am just a little angry that they have had the machine for two weeks and have not gotten it fixed. Will not be ready for a Memorial week end. Thanks for your help.

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They got the rear unlocked but can't get the front to unlock. I'm not giving up yet. I am just a little angry that they have had the machine for two weeks and have not gotten it fixed. Will not be ready for a Memorial week end. Thanks for your help.

advertisement
C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
went to Honda let them know my disappointment. they took a front dif. off a new machine and installed it on mine. still don't know what the defect was but they got me back on the road for this weekend. hats off to Honda.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome @craigclark! I'm glad your dealer took care of you. I haven't seen anyone post about this problem, so I would think it's an isolated one. Since you have a couple hundred miles on your machine, how do you like it?

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome @craigclark! I'm glad your dealer took care of you. I haven't seen anyone post about this problem, so I would think it's an isolated one. Since you have a couple hundred miles on your machine, how do you like it?

C

craigclark

May 23, 2016
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I love it. it is a superior performing machine. love the way it goes through the gears. it is a bit of a dusty ride. I put aftermarket buzz saw tires and rims not realizing the rims were offset. I'm now 65" wide. I put rubber striping around the doors and fender flares on front and partial in back. seems to help. haven't been able to test as it has been raining almost every afternoon. Reno, NV. lots of outstanding riding around our area. Nevada desert in winter and the Sierras in summer. Also a plumber

Reactions: perry and AKRider
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the same thing happen with mine and i looked to adjust the cable and yes it is behind the driver seat under the floor in a water tight box and the three cables in there and one was about to come loose and tightened it up to look like the one on the other side. will ride soon and report back. Hope it is not half in or out of gear! ( the problem that i had was it would not come out of 4 wheel lock and the adjustment i made works I hope! I drove it up the street and went left and right a little bit and it drop out 4 wheel lock.)

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same thing happen with mine and i looked to adjust the cable and yes it is behind the driver seat under the floor in a water tight box and the three cables in there and one was about to come loose and tightened it up to look like the one on the other side. will ride soon and report back. Hope it is not half in or out of gear! ( the problem that i had was it would not come out of 4 wheel lock and the adjustment i made works I hope! I drove it up the street and went left and right a little bit and it drop out 4 wheel lock.)

Go to post #13 in the following thread for the adjustment procedure for this.

P1000 - Park and 2wd lock adjustment

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!