P1000 Charging 2 Batteries with True Power Isolator

Coop007

Coop007

Sep 14, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love the switch! Mine has on/off/combine! The Combine feature on the switch makes it superior to other dual battery systems out there!
The only difference is that I run an Automatic Charging Relay along with the switch which is better than the isolator in my opinion and like all blue sea marine equipment has a lifetime warranty!

Q: How does an ACR differ from a battery isolator?
A: Battery isolators use one-way electrical check valves called diodes that allow current to flow to, but not from, the battery. ACRs use a relay combined with a circuit that senses when a charging source is being applied to either battery. ACRs are more efficient than battery isolators because they create little heat and consume minimal charging energy.

Click here for more info...

SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12/24V DC 120A - Blue Sea Systems
Did you also install a PEKO switch? I have the same setup in my boat and was wondering if I could apply to my SXS.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Not sure what a PEKO Switch is but if this is what you are talking about...
71813541 02F4 49BE 869B 90D00F03CCAE
Then yes I installed something similar

Reactions: knuckledeep
Coop007

Coop007

Sep 14, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what a PEKO Switch is but if this is what you are talking about...
View attachment 55653
Then yes I installed something similar
Yep, that's it. Would not run a bout with out the ability to shut off or switch batteries at will. Makes sense you applied this in your SXS. Going to try to replicate same installation technique you described in mine.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yep, that's it. Would not run a bout with out the ability to shut off or switch batteries at will. Makes sense you applied this in your SXS. Going to try to replicate same installation technique you described in mine.
You will not be disappointed!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They are not very waterproof at the battery connections, joey had one go out, I checked mine and it had condensation in it so I dried it in rice and put silicone around the battery connections where they go through the housing.

I was in a hurry and didn't put it in my build thread.
I drilled five more drain holes in the well where the isolator sits, we'll see if it helps.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a True Power Isolator. Instructions look easy. BUT, what is the male connection on the same side as the ground wire for? The instructions say nothing about it.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I just bought a True Power Isolator. Instructions look easy. BUT, what is the male connection on the same side as the ground wire for? The instructions say nothing about it.
That is the ground for the isolated. Just ground it ,and one wire from each battery to one each of the large terminals. That's it!

Reactions: Rincon
advertisement
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is the ground for the isolated. Just ground it ,and one wire from each battery to one each of the large terminals. That's it!

Not the wire that is the ground. The pin in base of unit. What is it for?

S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you post a photo of it?

I had the same question but then noticed that the back of the instruction sheet that came with the kit calls that male connector a "remote disconnect feature". Says that "when hooked up to the crank side (where would that be?) of your ignition/starter circuit it will immediately disable the isolator while the starter is being cranked. This eliminates back feed through the isolator and/or cables that might exceed the amp rating."

Instructions say that this is not required for the isolator to work, but my question: Is there any good reason to use it in our UTVs?

Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the same question but then noticed that the back of the instruction sheet that came with the kit calls that male connector a "remote disconnect feature". Says that "when hooked up to the crank side (where would that be?) of your ignition/starter circuit it will immediately disable the isolator while the starter is being cranked. This eliminates back feed through the isolator and/or cables that might exceed the amp rating."

Instructions say that this is not required for the isolator to work, but my question: Is there any good reason to use it in our UTVs?

Thanks

I am not seeing this on my instructions what version do you have ?

S

Sumtoc

Mar 28, 2018
Milton FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I have but no extra terminal...Heres my instructions.

Interesting, I see that your model is CM, while mine is CK. My back page says exactly what I quoted before, nothing about hooking up voltmeters. The front pages are identical.

So is it even worth hooking up this remote crank disconnect? (I tried calling TrueAm and the tel# on their website goes to voicemail for a worker in a children's services organization.....)

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would you mind snapping a picture and uploading for all to see?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting, I see that your model is CM, while mine is CK. My back page says exactly what I quoted before, nothing about hooking up voltmeters. The front pages are identical.

So is it even worth hooking up this remote crank disconnect? (I tried calling TrueAm and the tel# on their website goes to voicemail for a worker in a children's services organization.....)

CK is the kit

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!