P1000m5 Charging system broken on brand new unit

Q

Qwikcobra

Nov 1, 2015
Hi everybody, My name is Daryl. I was a longtime Ranger 900 owner and just purcahsed a red 1000-5 yesterday. Apparently the charging system is not working and I had only put about 8 miles on it around my office. I had purchased this in stock unit early not waiting on a white one, just to go on a ride with friends next week and its not looking like i'll make it.

I have traced the wiring and all connector plugs coming out of the case at the stator going into the rectifier and out to the front. Every plug, fuse, terminal on the machine passes visual and pull wiggle test. If they have to split the case on an 8 mile 1 hour unit, I reallyh don't want it. I'll go buy another Ranger 900 and advise everyone I see to do the same. So FYI there is no battery or charging system light. It cranked kind of weak this morning and then i noticed shifting issues as the rpms flared between shifts so I stopped and it didnt have enough juice to release the clutch to pull itself. So here I am pushing it back to the shop about a 1000 feet away.

Other Minor Issue> Driveshaft boots
Everyone should pull the seat and inspect the grease boot on their rear driveshaft. The front boot had slipped off or wasn't installed correctly at the transfer case and slung grease all over. They basically have a rubber band like an oring holding them on. Unlike the front CV joint that is clamped.

Sorry for the long winded introductory rant. Id rather be asking about what acc. everone is getting or talking about a great ride. Been a loyal honda powersports/power equipment customer forever so having issues with a new product is not something I am accustomed to. I personally don't trust dealer service on anything and wouldn't trust my sellling dealer to tighten a lugnut. They are closed Monday so I kind of wanna get Honda involved right away to get this resolved asap. I'm not that far from Timmonsville, SC...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
With only 8 miles on it are you certain it isn't just the battery not charged to begin with? 8 Miles cannot charge a battery if it has been run down or not charged properly from the get go, maybe the dealer didn't check it out when they prepped it.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Unhooked, fully charged should read >=13v. Anything under 12.3V is considered undercharged.
When charging should be in the >=14v range.

Just to make sure, were you able to trace and locate the Rectifier ground?

Q

Qwikcobra

Nov 1, 2015
Unhooked, fully charged should read >=13v. Anything under 12.3V is considered undercharged.
When charging should be in the >=14v range.

Just to make sure, were you able to trace and locate the Rectifier ground?

On the meter I had 12.00 prior to cranking, had to jump it off. Voltage at idle after unhooking the booster battery was 11.3 and falling. Is there a fsm available online that I can buy? The rectifier ground appeared good, was the heavy gauge (10 or 12) Green wire to the main chassis ground point.
Thanks for the help.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Hate to hear you grabbed a unit with issues, lot of folks here know and give some great advice and I certainly hope it works out.
Factory defect or pushed out to fast due to being behind from all the flooding is no excuse.

Bought a new truck in 98 that was a lemon and after several issues I just traded for another same truck and never had problems. It happens but it is NOT funny on the buyers end.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
ohh.. not good.
Ya, I would also check the ground to the motor. All the wires connect on the frame at that point.

No FSM online.. I do have one in hand.

Q

Qwikcobra

Nov 1, 2015

Just hoping this is a fluke deal on the charging system. I like the machine alot overall. The new trans is amazing and smooth. Extremely quiet. I do like my old rangers utilitarian styling and dash layout better and the bed was better suited for my use. But I am going to get it setup good for work and play. Even did a P3 conversion as soon we got it home!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Did you order a winch and was the mount on back order?

advertisement
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Same here. Have had the unit for two weeks waiting for parts so it is still at the dealer.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Montana, what kind of trouble are you having requiring parts already?

Sorry to hear about everyones troubles as we hoped QC would be thourough on these units.

Reactions: Buryit
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Qwikcobra Welcome to the Club!! have you talked to the dealer? it sounds like you could take it back and have them take a look at the warrantee.

Q

Qwikcobra

Nov 1, 2015
@Qwikcobra Welcome to the Club!! have you talked to the dealer? it sounds like you could take it back and have them take a look at the warrantee.
I have not yet. They were closed unday and are today as well. I am afraid they will have to do more than "look at it". Looks like you have to pull the motor to get to the case and stator or at least peel the whole top off. I'm going to ohm out the ground to the rectifier tonight to be sure on that. I'll update when I get some answers on it from the dealer or honda tomorrow.

Thanks for the welcome glad to be here!

Reactions: Buryit
P

Paulson14

Aug 22, 2015
Everyone makes units that will have possible issues right out of the box, more rare in HONDA & YAMAHA get the dealer to look it over. More Common in Polaris as they push alot more units faster out to the general public. I have owned 4 polaris Vehicles in the last 6 years two rzrs, two rangers Both my Rzrs had on going issues right from day one. Rangers Where pretty solid but would start to fall apart around the 2800 mile mark both maintained and serviced often. I am going to a Honda pioneer 5 deluxe this year. I am in Canada so no dealers have any yet. I just hope i don't get that "ONE" Pioneer 5 deluxe with issues right off the bat like you are experiencing. All the best and I hope your dealer will take care of you.

Last edited:
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Montana, what kind of trouble are you having requiring parts already?

Sorry to hear about everyones troubles as we hoped QC would be thourough on these units.

No problems yet. I left the unit with the dealer until all the parts were here and installed. The 1000-5 did arrive without the passenger head rest though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sorry you're having problems with your machine. I know when you buy a new rig you have high expectations as well that you should as its your hard earned cash. We're a very dedicated Honda family and never have even heard of such a thing. Honda does have the best warranty around and even though I do sometimes agree about dealership service I'm sure they will get it figured out for you. I wish you luck and really hope this gets handled fast again I'm so sorry!

Reactions: educ8tedguess
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I too hope this gets fixed quickly. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Let's see how they take care of you.

Q

Qwikcobra

Nov 1, 2015
Thank s everyone, So far my Dealer, Team Charlotte Motorsports is right on the ball. A lady had called yesterday about about a customer service survey. And I told her I had issues with it and she passed that along. They called me first thing morning and have already picked it up. From my diagnosi, tt has to be either the rectifier module or inside the case at the Stator, everything else checks out. I'll update when I hear back from them on there diagnosis

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's good to hear! I believe you've got the best machine on the planet once they fix it you'll fall in love with it! You can't go wrong with Honda:)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!