Talon Checking oil

S

Skully24

Jul 12, 2020
Az
Ownership

1. Talon X4
In the manual it says check the oil after you have started the engine for around five minutes then let it cool for three minutes or so. It says to not thread in the dipstick while checking. The dealership said to thread it in. Not sure what to do. If it’s threaded in, oil level is good, if not threaded oil level is low. Any advice will be appreciated.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the manual it says check the oil after you have started the engine for around five minutes then let it cool for three minutes or so. It says to not thread in the dipstick while checking. The dealership said to thread it in. Not sure what to do. If it’s threaded in, oil level is good, if not threaded oil level is low. Any advice will be appreciated.
manual > dealership advice
^One man's opinion

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hate Honda's procedure, it's completely impossible to duplicate. Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes? WTF, nobody wears a watch anymore. Why in the hell wouldn't you simply remove the dipstick on a cold engine to check your oil? That's 100% repeatable. And why no sight glass?

So, screw 'em and their procedure. I checked my oil immediately after an oil change and that's what I'll do in the future. I was surprised how hard it is to see the oil level on the dipstick in my garage. It might be easier outside in the daylight, not sure. Someone mentioned a light nick with a Dremel or file and I'll be set for the life of the vehicle.
I Jv4qKHq XL

Reactions: 906UP and Mudwing
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've had honda off road toys for my entire life. I've never heard of threading the dipstick in to measure oil level. I let my pk1-3 idle until warmed to 2 bars. I then shut it down and let it sit until I feel the oil is back in the pan(usually the few minutes it takes to look over the obvious other things, like tires CV boots ect) then check the oil level without threading the dipstick in. 3600miles without issues. I preform my maintenance and so far I've had no leaks and no oil usage. I check it every ride just for peace of mind.

Reactions: BigOL3 and TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've had honda off road toys for my entire life. I've never heard of threading the dipstick in to measure oil level. I let my pk1-3 idle until warmed to 2 bars. I then shut it down and let it sit until I feel the oil is back in the pan(usually the few minutes it takes to look over the obvious other things, like tires CV boots ect) then check the oil level without threading the dipstick in. 3600miles without issues. I preform my maintenance and so far I've had no leaks and no oil usage. I check it every ride just for peace of mind.
What the crap happened to the 10 mil bolt that you took out of the crank case and added oil until oil run out of the bolt hole? Was a great system!

Reactions: CID
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is a older post but I am still a little cornfused about the right way to check oil level in a P1000. What can happen wrongly if it sits overnight in a garage with a fairly level concrete floor and then check the oil level in the morning on a cold engine. Pull it out, wipe it off, reinsert without screwing it in, then check it? That's what I have been doing and it shows to the full mark every time so far.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is a older post but I am still a little cornfused about the right way to check oil level in a P1000. What can happen wrongly if it sits overnight in a garage with a fairly level concrete floor and then check the oil level in the morning on a cold engine. Pull it out, wipe it off, reinsert without screwing it in, then check it? That's what I have been doing and it shows to the full mark every time so far.
This is kinda how I check my oil - I do a complete oil change including both filters and add the spec'd 6 qts. 3.2 oz (round up to 6.4 oz). Start long enough to saturate both filters, let sit long enough to completely drain down, usually overnight. Next morning, check the oil, cold, anyway you want, that's your new oil level. Now you can check your oil anytime you walk by the buggy without the warmup and let sit for 2 or 3 minutes BS.

There's a photo of my dipstick in post 3. I measure with the stick screwed in because I couldn't really see where the oil was hitting with the stick sitting up on the threads, the stick is too 'busy' at the end to clearly see where the oil line is.

Reactions: Bombardier Convert
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
All right here…

Reactions: Bombardier Convert
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I follow the manual, don't screw dipstick in, and yes when the oil is fresh I just have a white paper towel to see the clear oil on the black dipstick.

I b****ed about this previously, dealer did first oil swap when in for recall stuff. they shorted me a quart in the engine, pretty confident they screw the dipstick in and can't read and count as well.

my king quad 300 relic is so simple, dump 4 quarts in at oil\filter change and peak at sight glass every now and then :rolleyes:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!