P1000 Chop Top Club

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
I was just wondering for the mounting. What are you planning on doing in back?

Sent from iPhone
I'm not 100% yet I just pulled off the full cage this afternoon before we brought my son to the fair. So I can touch up a few spots w welding an grinding. An then paint. What color do u think I should paint my cage?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not 100% yet I just pulled off the full cage this afternoon before we brought my son to the fair. So I can touch up a few spots w welding an grinding. An then paint. What color do u think I should paint my cage?
White or red both would look cool!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I was going back and forth with white and red. I kinda wanted to do something different. In the end I figured I didn't want to see the bars. So I'm not sure for you buddy. These things are 10 different ways to do the same thing. Nothing is too much

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Madore128
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I think I would go with white, then do some accent white on the under carriage to tie it all in. Not that it gives you any advantage or anything it just looks cool.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I might agree with sharp here. If you tied it in with some lower stuff like the control arms springs or something it might look trick.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok guys in is in the shop getting ready to chop it But U have a question how much was cut out for the 6" chop and the 4" chop
I'm thinking of 5" but will start at 4 " and see what it looks like then go more if I dont like it because it is easier cut than to add HaHa
Paul
I went more on the very front to give it a little more aggressive look and to get under obstacles better. Almost went too much on mine with center at 4.5 because of the speaker bar. I'm 6-1 and got about 2 inches to the bar. Just right for us and haven't once hit our heads getting in.

Reactions: pct
Sofla5088

Sofla5088

Sep 4, 2016
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright I'm alittle confused here on your pictures. When you chopped the two front and two back bars did you have to shorten/extended the two top bars the run front to back or did everything line up ok? Want to do a chip on my 1000-5 just trying to figure out some details before I cut up my brand new machine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Alright I'm alittle confused here on your pictures. When you chopped the two front and two back bars did you have to shorten/extended the two top bars the run front to back or did everything line up ok? Want to do a chip on my 1000-5 just trying to figure out some details before I cut up my brand new machine.

You'll have to on the 5.

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
I
I guess when it's chopped the front cage moves slightly forward so the rear cage section will just have to be extended?
didn't have to touch anything on mine. I chopped the head rest bar out first from the sides an then took 4/5" out an the welded the center rest part back in.

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
I'm going with black for the cage. Just cuz I feel like the roll cage set up in the back will look stupid in a white or something. Or whenever I change the color again lol hopefully the 2017 has some diff colors so I can swap colors again. I want the gray color bad!!!!! But a lil off topic is I'm sry to say I think I'm getting a new 2017 xp1000 :-/ even tho I'm a 150% Honda guy I need a sport model for next season cuz were going to build a car for racing next season. Ill be keeping my Honda tho. An will still be moding it out an hopefully doing other great stuff to it. Please don't hate me guys.

Sofla5088

Sofla5088

Sep 4, 2016
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I

didn't have to touch anything on mine. I chopped the head rest bar out first from the sides an then took 4/5" out an the welded the center rest part back in.

So you just cut it 4" in the front, cut the headrest bars from cage, then cut 5" from the back and it dropped right down in place and rewelded everything?

Reactions: moparornocar
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No one has mentioned how this affects the windshields. What is everyone doing to modify the windshields to fit?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No one has mentioned how this affects the windshields. What is everyone doing to modify the windshields to fit?
Cut it. For me this wasn't done on a whim I had originally planned on cutting the 700 down because it seemed so tall. So had been contemplating this for awhile. The only reason I hadn't sooner was because of accessories. I've got the glass windshield because I hate looking through scratches. Simply take the glass out cut the frame new glass and back going. This weekend I'll be visiting this one. If it's plastic just cut it down that's really easy. The doors are the trickiest part but we'll get there soon.

Reactions: pct
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks CP. I'll be making my own windshield so I'll do it after I chop the top.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The chop is easy it's the accessories that are tough. IMO with all the work in a sxs it's well worth it to have stability,maneuverability accessiblity,and even looks. It also has other pluses... less wind and rain, built in sun visor, no water poured on us while backing up, fewer sticks protruding into the cabin, goes in my garage even after lift kit...that's the biggest reason I waited so long I wanted to do this before I got serious about the lift. It's the cheapest easiest mod I've done to date and if you're building your own windshield and aren't using doors no problem

Last edited:
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys here I go first I would like to thank all you brave ones that wave already done this and posted the pics and how you done yours
and with that said here you go went with a 4" chop just getting started I had to remove the bolts where the nets attached first to get my
cut where I wanted I started in the rear first 09 25 16 003 09 25 16 005 09 25 16 006 09 25 16 007it looks like it is just under 1 5/8" going to take the piece
to work and get sleeves cut for the back will post more pics as I get farther along it was a little scary till I got the grinder out HaHa
then let the sparks fly

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!