clutch relearn problems

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
so i am new to this dtc trans. i am not able to get it to relearn right now. i noticed the other day it was engaging to slow so i figured id do a relearn. but it failed. and now i have tried about 20 times and it always fails. yes full of oil and warmed up. i did have it fail once when i put in the new jackson firmware. but it worked the second time. now i have beat the hell out of the clutches on this. but they are not slipping once engaged. what are other things that cause it to fail relearn? i am going to flash back to stock tomorrow and see if it will relearn then. but other than that im not finding much in the forums of others having this problem

Reactions: Smitty335
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
update put back to factory programing and it still wont relearn. shifts very bad. so there are no lights on or codes that i can find with the jackson programer. im running out of ideas on what to do now. must have a pressure sensor reading wrong or some thing like that

H

HondaTech

Id assume by failing to relearn your mean the process starts then blinks quickly at the end instead of going blank correct?

The Jackson Programmer is odd in that with their firmware flashed, our OEM diagnostic equipment won't even recognize the PCM or communicate with it. I wonder if returning to stock would allow that to return to normal?

I've usually had no problem getting a unit to relearn even with destroyed clutches. It's just trying to learn the pressure it needs to apply to fully engage the clutch.

Wonder if you could pull codes from the ECM memory manually?

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
yes it fails. quick blink and now because it failed, it shifts very bad

i did set it back to stock.. didnt change anything. but the programmer didnt see any codes and there is no lights on

right now trying to find a scanner for it. do you know witch two pins i have to short to get the codes out? just trying to find that now to so if there is a code but no light

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

To read the codes you'll short the Green and Brown/Red wires at the Red 4 pin connector under the seat. The same connector the Jackson programmer plugs into.

As far as a scanner goes, I haven't found anything that plugs in and allows codes to be read like the OEM solution. You can pull the codes easily with the short connector. But getting something that reads the code definition out is missing.

Their are solutions for overseas machines but their not up to date to newer models.

The PV3 can read/clear codes but is alot of money for that feature alone.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
id pay good money to be able to see what the sensors are doing. mainly to be able to see trans pressures and what not

just checked for codes. none on engine or trans

H

HondaTech

I dont know if the PV3 has access to all the sensor readouts like the OEM solution does. It definitely has some because of the gauge functionality.

The OEM solution occasionally comes up for sale on eBay, that's where I purchased mine from. We have multiple for the shop, but I wanted my own for home use and to have in my toolbox at work. They are pricey though, most on ebay are over $700. They do occasionally need updating though and the only way to access the updates would be with a dealer website login.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
if you come across one that i didnt see dont hesitate to let me know

K

Kimble

Jan 28, 2021
Sour Lake tx
Ownership

1. Talon X4
so i am new to this dtc trans. i am not able to get it to relearn right now. i noticed the other day it was engaging to slow so i figured id do a relearn. but it failed. and now i have tried about 20 times and it always fails. yes full of oil and warmed up. i did have it fail once when i put in the new jackson firmware. but it worked the second time. now i have beat the hell out of the clutches on this. but they are not slipping once engaged. what are other things that cause it to fail relearn? i am going to flash back to stock tomorrow and see if it will relearn then. but other than that im not finding much in the forums of others having this problem
Hey did you ever figure out your clutch relearn problem? Mine is doing the same thing, shifts funny feels like it has a stall converter in it, you have to bring the rpm's up before it will pull, but it does not slip, and it will not finish the process of relearning

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
still at the dealer... calling tomorrow to see if new computer fixed it.

Reactions: Kimble
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
well i think it is the 1 3 5 clutch bad. parts ordered, hopefully will have it installed by the end of this upcoming week. weird that i didn't have any slipping issues. but i have spent many hours reading and searching for people with this problem and could only find a few posts of pioneers having this prob. will update as soon as i know for sure.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
no mine is out of warrentee. and i would not ask some one to replace a clutch.... i beat the hell out of this thing . and its not stock

Reactions: Mudwing
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
well i think we found the problem its the 1,3,5 clutch

Clutch

so the answer is yes if your clutch is shot you may not be able to do a relearn... witch is not what i was told
fyi the 2,4,6 clutch looks brand new still..... lol

H

HondaTech

Make sure you clean everything in the valve body and oil pan. I also like removing the oil tank on the Pioneers. But im not sure if its possible to get the oil tank off without removing the engine from the frame on a Talon.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!