P500 Coldest outside temps while operating??

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
We were riding as low as about -15. The 1000 started real well at all temps but the Yamaha Wolverine started hard and the Pioneer 500 did as well until a 60w light was placed underneath
So...did they need the light to start? I'd like to hope anything FI would be able to start at those temps.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So...did they need the light to start? I'd like to hope anything FI would be able to start at those temps.
No neither didn't start but were very hard to get going. Willybill with the 500 just added the light over night to ease starting the next day which actually worked nicely.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
5F is the coldest I have mine out so far and at 5F is was sluggish shifting until the engine warmed up little.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
5F is the coldest I have mine out so far and at 5F is was sluggish shifting until the engine warmed up little.
I just build a fire in the insulated shop double barrel wood stove to keep Rooster and other things warm. (Paint)

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I just build a fire in the insulated shop double barrel wood stove to keep Rooster and other things warm. (Paint)

I've been doing it that way for years, cheap but takes too long to heat it up. Bought one of these for this winter, it was -15 yesterday and I had to turn this off because it was getting too hot in there. 24' x 32' and well insulated, I was in shirt sleeves in about 20 min.
Heater

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been doing it that way for years, cheap but takes too long to heat it up. Bought one of these for this winter, it was -15 yesterday and I had to turn this off because it was getting too hot in there. 24' x 32' and well insulated, I was in shirt sleeves in about 20 min.
View attachment 60804
Yeah...those things are badass for sure. Like portable hell. I need to spring for one someday...

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

View attachment 60804
I need to get one of those. I bundle up and freeze my ass off in the garage.

Reactions: trigger
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 60804

I used a torpedo heater in a 2+ car garage where it would get too hot.
Used a thermostat to control it.
Link is just an example, there are several brands out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Thermostat-Portable-Kerosene/dp/B001EA5ZCI?tag=sxsweb24-20
Upload 2017 12 30 0 49 53

Now I have it in a 40' X 40' pole barn, it almost never turns off.
I just point the heater in the direction I'm working and adjust how far away it is.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I used a torpedo heater in a 2+ car garage where it would get too hot.
Used a thermostat to control it.
Link is just an example, there are several brands out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Thermostat-Portable-Kerosene/dp/B001EA5ZCI?tag=sxsweb24-20
View attachment 60824

Now I have it in a 40' X 40' pole barn, it almost never turns off.
I just point the heater in the direction I'm working and adjust how far away it is.

I saw those stats were available but didn't really know if I'd need one, thought the 50k might struggle to maintain temp, guess not. Setting it in an opposite corner and aiming in your direction, you can start working immediately. You do get the kerosene smell and the blower's a little loud but it's worth it to me.

Mandryk

Mandryk

Jan 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The Pioneer started on the second try which was great considering it sat since October (ethanol free marine gas w treatment).
It started easier than my F150 which had the block heater plugged in. The snow from my boots had melted and left a small ice rink on my weathertech floor mats. First world problems!
Pioneer ran great for hours. Even dragging tires through trails as a plow it sipped the gas.
Thanks for the advice. Next time it’s really cold (tomorrow) I may put a small heater or light bulb under it for a few hours before starting.
Cheers!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They put out incredible heat and fast but I can't stand the smell. Gives me a headache.
So for me an old trailer home oil furnace works great in my shop.

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Pioneer started on the second try which was great considering it sat since October (ethanol free marine gas w treatment).
It started easier than my F150 which had the block heater plugged in. The snow from my boots had melted and left a small ice rink on my weathertech floor mats. First world problems!
Pioneer ran great for hours. Even dragging tires through trails as a plow it sipped the gas.
Thanks for the advice. Next time it’s really cold (tomorrow) I may put a small heater or light bulb under it for a few hours before starting.
Cheers!

Blanket/tarp over/around to contain the heat and light bulb under it works great.

Reactions: Mandryk
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Look for little critters..hiding in
your p5..eating your wires...
Propane..burns cleanest..
less fumes...
IMO..

Reactions: Mudder
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 60804
30 minutes and your down to shirt sleeves, I used to use the torpedo heaters at work, got to where I couldn't stand the fumes, but I don't like diesel or gas fumes anymore, only fumes I like are the ones my wife wears! HA!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I prefer a heated body. Liked my 3 setting Milwaukee heated hoodie so much, also got the full jacket. Works for hours on a M12 battery from my tools. Got a POS from a motorcycle dealer, Tool maker versions much better.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am at our family cabin in Northern Ontario (near Algonquin Park) where it is -30F before windchill.
This is a very cold day and not the norm.

I have my P500 on a battery tender in an unheated garage.
Would there be any reason to not just turn the key like normal?
Should I let it warm up plenty to get the oil moving well?

I operate with average riding skills and low mechanical skills so maybe I am over thinking this.

I am curious what outside temps others have operated their P500s in....I am sure -30f is a balmy day vs others.

Cheers!
Warm up is a must in frigid temps, we are in a cold snap right now where I live and I normally let my p5 run about ten minutes or so before leaving the garage. Much easier on the machine.

Reactions: rocmar
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Warm up is a must in frigid temps, we are in a cold snap right now where I live and I normally let my p5 run about ten minutes or so before leaving the garage. Much easier on the machine.
A remote starter would be nice! HA!

Reactions: elkguide
D

Dasmoeturhead

Since day 1 I've always warmed up my P1000-3 until the 1st indicator on the temp graph is displayed. Its a PITA. I know for a fact the transmission and clutches like this.
I think I read somewhere to do this, but I sure can't remember where. Anyway it works for me.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A remote starter would be nice! HA![/QUOTE

You are right about that smitty, that would be great and if only I were willing to pay more than half of what I paid for the p5 I could have that full cab enclosure with heat and windshield wiper lol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!