P500 Coldest outside temps while operating??

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pulled the Pioneer out of the shop and after a couple of hours in the sun and out of the wind, with the temperature "CLIMBING" all of the way to 0*, power steering is back and the light is off. Don't know how it could have frozen at only -12*?

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Just got back from a ten mile ride, only about 8 degrees outside brrrrrrrrr. Started and ran just fine.

My mother in law used to tell me I could tear up a bowling ball with a feather duster lol
Yeah, it was a little chilly down here in southern Arizona yesterday morning on our ride. I had to actually put on a long-sleeve shirt. Brrrr.

My old man used to say I could tear the balls off a brass monkey.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Dang! I been thinking about a full windshield and back panel, but I'm pretty rough on stuff, tore my rear view mirror of last month, not side view, rear view, if I would have had a windshield, it would be broken also. My half windshield is scratched badly, I prune on the move, HA! Sure would be nice to have a cab enclosure in this kind of weather!

HA!!! I move on the Prunes. :p

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dang! I been thinking about a full windshield and back panel, but I'm pretty rough on stuff, tore my rear view mirror of last month, not side view, rear view, if I would have had a windshield, it would be broken also. My half windshield is scratched badly, I prune on the move, HA! Sure would be nice to have a cab enclosure in this kind of weather!

HA!!! I move on the Prunes. :p

Alright you two. Take this "BROMANCE" of yours, along with your cans of prunes, outside!

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Starting and stopping without getting to operating temperature and blowing out the muffler will result in rusting out the muffler! Set the machine on rear jacks, if not able to ride! Be sure to have ventilated area and cycle through gears as if riding to burn moister to eliminate rusting! I feel for you guys up there! It's cold here but nothing, what you guy's are experiencing! I'm taking mine out Saturday and temps are supposed to 48 degrees!

Not really true. If you're doing this, why not just drive it? It will warm up a lot quicker if it's driving. Warming it up by idling is just a slow way of warming, not good for the engine or the exhaust system.

Reactions: chrisC
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I am at our family cabin in Northern Ontario (near Algonquin Park) where it is -30F before windchill.
This is a very cold day and not the norm.

I have my P500 on a battery tender in an unheated garage.
Would there be any reason to not just turn the key like normal?
Should I let it warm up plenty to get the oil moving well?

I operate with average riding skills and low mechanical skills so maybe I am over thinking this.

I am curious what outside temps others have operated their P500s in....I am sure -30f is a balmy day vs others.

Cheers!

The Honda is tougher than you, if it'll start, start it and ride! And windchill only affects things that have liquid to evaporate off it's surface, like exposed flesh on a person or animal. If you want to ride in -30, you're a lot tougher than me! I was out on the weekend at -15, but not for long!

Reactions: rocmar
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Not really true. If you're doing this, why not just drive it? It will warm up a lot quicker if it's driving. Warming it up by idling is just a slow way of warming, not good for the engine or the exhaust system.

I call BS...I wouldn't do that to any engine I own. Oils and lubricants thicken up in the cold and the many posts about poor shifting in this machine when it's cold bears witness. I don't baby mine when I ride but that's just cruel. o_O

Reactions: elkguide and Mudder
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I call BS...I wouldn't do that to any engine I own. Oils and lubricants thicken up in the cold and the many posts about poor shifting in this machine when it's cold bears witness. I don't baby mine when I ride but that's just cruel. o_O
I agree, and to your point Trigger, I picked up my generator from our cabin last weekend when it was about 2 above zero and when I got it home I had a hell of time getting it to start. The oil was so cold and thick that I could feel the resistance as I pulled the rope to start it, almost like pulling against a disc brake with someone barely applying pressure.

Reactions: trigger
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, and to your point Trigger, I picked up my generator from our cabin last weekend when it was about 2 above zero and when I got it home I had a hell of time getting it to start. The oil was so cold and thick that I could feel the resistance as I pulled the rope to start it, almost like pulling against a disc brake with someone barely applying pressure.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Rotating engine parts = friction. Warm up before higher rpms, IMO. Reason for engine block heaters.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!