P1000 Custom Under seat storage

Remihunt_57x

Remihunt_57x

Jul 13, 2019
Gladstone, mi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I got my 2018 1000-5 about two weeks ago now and while I was doing some customization; winch, roof and windshield for now, I found this huge empty space under the driver seat. Actually it really ticked me off Honda didn't utilize it for a storage compartment with a door on one of the outside faces. Somewhere like the vertical face where the warning label or behind your legs would be awesome.

So the inner engineering in me came out. This is what I got so far, making a box inside of the compartment with 1/4" hdpe to protect the electric inside and I'm going to be putting a door on one of the faces I was talking about so i won't have to take the seat off in the middle of a mud hole when I need my straps.

IMG 20190716 205829271
Still have to clean up the plastic welds a bit, my welder is starting to take a s*** on me
IMG 20190716 205842897
IMG 20190716 205816832
IMG 20190716 205824229

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Congrats on the purchase. It’s not the most convenient storage but Honda makes a storage container that fits the space. Post pics when you’re done. Like the idea of the door.

Reactions: Lady01
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your box thought to be water tight?
Unless you avoid water and mud, I don't think you can make that area "dry". I originally cut up an old plastic trash can I had and squeezed it in by removing the outer cover below the seat. My second ride in Tennessee, I filled the entire trash can with water.

I now just store 2 50cal water proof ammo cans with my tools under there. They are my heaviest boxes and that keeps the weight low. I unfortunately have to pull the seat bottom to get them out. I don't think JTW door would be big enough for them.

Reactions: Lady01 and BigOL3
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Unless you avoid water and mud, I don't think you can make that area "dry". I originally cut up an old plastic trash can I had and squeezed it in by removing the outer cover below the seat. My second ride in Tennessee, I filled the entire trash can with water.

I now just store 2 50cal water proof ammo cans with my tools under there. They are my heaviest boxes and that keeps the weight low. I unfortunately have to pull the seat bottom to get them out. I don't think JTW door would be big enough for them.

I use the same door that Josh uses and I can get both ammo cans in and out. It took a little practice and it only goes a certain way but I’ll try to get some more info on that when I get home.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the same door that Josh uses and I can get both ammo cans in and out. It took a little practice and it only goes a certain way but I’ll try to get some more info on that when I get home.
I stand one on end and leave the other horizontal. I'm guessing flipping the seat is quicker. I looked at the doors when Josh first posted.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I stand one on end and leave the other horizontal. I'm guessing flipping the seat is quicker. I looked at the doors when Josh first posted.

If you have a seat with stock seatbelts then it would be quicker but by the time I pull the seat and the heat barrier and have to mess with all three harnesses in the front to put the seat back in it turned out to be easier just to use in the door.

Also sometimes I may have a small cooler in the middle seat or I don’t want to unharness the little one in the middle. At least with the door I’ve got the option to do both ways.

If I can remember I’ll take a quick video of getting the things out and putting them back in.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
If you have a seat with stock seatbelts then it would be quicker but by the time I pull the seat and the heat barrier and have to mess with all three harnesses in the front to put the seat back in it turned out to be easier just to use in the door.

Also sometimes I may have a small cooler in the middle seat or I don’t want to unharness the little one in the middle. At least with the door I’ve got the option to do both ways.

If I can remember I’ll take a quick video of getting the things out and putting them back in.
Less talk, more pics!

J

JTW

Yep..

L

Loren

Dec 29, 2015
The push latches for the side are just what I have been looking for, where did you get them? Part number please. Nice job, thanks for sharing.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!