P1000 CV temp??

J

JTW

What are your CV’s running temperature wise?

I’d like to have the temperature of a stock setup compared to a machine with stock axles and a HL lift.

Turf mode and 4-5 miles @ 55-60 mph on the blacktop? Mine seem to be running a little warm. Inner and outter cv’s both sides.

@Delton @Windrock1000 @joeymt33 @snuffnwhisky @CumminsPusher @ohanacreek
And anybody else running a HL lift or a stock machine with stock rear axles.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
At least you’re asking how hot our CVs are versus how hot our shafts are! But my guess is that both of them are probably pretty close to the same temperature

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Never thought about checking mine. Rear end creates heat as well as braking so either side could gain heat that way, if not much brake involved then pumpkin side should run hotter. Id be surprised if cv joint creates much heat itself, maybe a little bit till it gets worn in a bit?
Do you have ir temp gun? I could check mine in comparison as long as ambient is close.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp, BWAF and JTW
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@JTW I think the CV temp has an impact on the durability. The grease will breakdown faster at high temp.

So if your replacing 3 axles a ride I really don’t think you have any concern. (What goes around comes around)

J

JTW

@JTW I think the CV temp has an impact on the durability. The grease will breakdown faster at high temp.

So if your replacing 3 axles a ride I really don’t think you have any concern. (What goes around comes around)
Lmao.. well played! And it was only 2!

You have any thoughts as to the temp issue?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
CV temp is related to the angle, speed and how much power is being transmitted.
Running more lift will increase the temp.
However, I doubt you are running too much high speed.

As a countermeasure for running lift you could try water cooling the CVs.
Follow @joeymt33 and they will be plenty cool.

If you have a handy dandy ir thermometer and a front wheel drive car in the family you could measure the CV temps on your next road trip.
If running on the freeway one or two stops will not drive the temp up before you get a reading.
Try to get the CV body, not the boot.

Edit to finish the thought : Car CV temp will give you some idea of how hot they can run. Probably a little higher than you would think.

Last edited:
J

JTW

CV temp is related to the angle, speed and how much power is being transmitted.
Running more lift will increase the temp.
However, I doubt you are running too much high speed.

As a countermeasure for running lift you could try water cooling the CVs.
Follow @joeymt33 and they will be plenty cool.

If you have a handy dandy ir thermometer and a front wheel drive car in the family you could measure the CV temps on your next road trip.
If running on the freeway one or two stops will not drive the temp up before you get a reading.
Try to get the CV body, not the boot.

Edit to finish the thought : Car CV temp will give you some idea of how hot they can run. Probably a little higher than you would think.
Yeah but the fronts are cool as a cucumber..

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!