P500 Deep water problems/exhaust

Junyer82

Junyer82

Mar 22, 2018
Nashville, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
2017 P500 snorkeled everything. Dielectric greased everything. So here's the problem. On 2 separate occasions I've gotten in deep enough water that my exhaust has been underwater and it has died. I've been in this deep more than twice but it has only died twice. On both occasions I went in the hole in 2wd and got myself stuck/spinning. So I let off the gas to shift into 4wd and in the seconds it takes to idle down it has died. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any ideas? Any help is appreciated and I can possibly give more details if you need them. Thanks in advance

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your exhaust pipe is under water, letting off the throttle will suck water back into the muffler. Your engine will not create enough pressure usually to push the water out of the muffler and dies. If you like to play in deep water, try extending the exhaust above the water line.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found myself in deep water in the creek crossing in 2wd and just kept pushing through. I didn't realize I was in 2wd until I got across. I'm gonna snorkel my intake and my exhaust line too.

Junyer82

Junyer82

Mar 22, 2018
Nashville, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I'm thinking if maybe I slowly let off the gas rather than just removing my foot from the gas, it would stay running. There's gotta be a solution. I've thought about extending the exhaust also. May need to research on that some more

Junyer82

Junyer82

Mar 22, 2018
Nashville, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Put it in 4wd before going in the deep water.
Lol yeah I guess. I usually only put it in 4 if I Know it's bad or if it stops moving in 2. Thing is though...I've driven different bikes unsnorkeled with the exhaust underwater and have never had this problem and I've seen many others snorkeled and not snorkeled that has had exhaust under and it not die also. Guess I'm just gonna have to snorkel the exhaust too

Reactions: 100Acre
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Would something like an inverted “p trap” with short downward tail piece work? For lower profile, less piping, no higher than rack.

Junyer82

Junyer82

Mar 22, 2018
Nashville, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Would something like an inverted “p trap” with short downward tail piece work? For lower profile, less piping, no higher than rack.
Yeah that'd prolly work. But I'm the type of dude that if I'm gonna add more pipe then I'm just gonna go all the way up.

Reactions: Bastardchild
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I have slammed my p500 into 4wd a couple of times at full throttle. Is it good for it? No,but I would rather do that than have it die underwater or roll over down a hill. 6,600 miles no problems.

Junyer82

Junyer82

Mar 22, 2018
Nashville, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I have slammed my p500 into 4wd a couple of times at full throttle. Is it good for it? No,but I would rather do that than have it die underwater or roll over down a hill. 6,600 miles no problems.
I had it grind a couple weekends ago cuz I stayed on the gas when I put it in 4. Was too late! Hole sucked me in! It was only top of the seat deep. Didn't die tho!

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven't slammed mine into 4 wheel per say but, I know when I'm in situations like this and deep water I quickly let off and shift VERY FAST and then on the gas again immediately. Don't want that water coming back in. It sucks that there isn't enough compression to keep it running if a person was alone. I'd rather leave it run then shut it off.

Reactions: 500oneer
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yeah that'd prolly work. But I'm the type of dude that if I'm gonna add more pipe then I'm just gonna go all the way up.
Check out my thread where i build my exhaust stack. No worries now. I typically leave it running in deep water if i have to get out of the seat and help someone or something, but there has been a few times where ive shut it off in rack deep water and its always started back up.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just let off gas slightly, push brakes until tires stop spinning, kinda like stalling it up. Shift to 4wd then slowly let off brakes. Keep rpms up the whole time enough to not go dead. I did this a couple times, worked good.

Reactions: stobiadas
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Check out my thread where i build my exhaust stack. No worries now. I typically leave it running in deep water if i have to get out of the seat and help someone or something, but there has been a few times where ive shut it off in rack deep water and its always started back up.
Looking for thread, link.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!