P1000 delay changing between drive modes

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello All,
I have a 17 1000-5 D. Just turned over 200 miles. While riding over the weekend, I noticed it seems to be very slow to engage/disengage in and out of any of the drive modes. Never noticed before, probably no change but just the first time I noticed. I run it most in turf but when I move the lever to another mode.....I didn't time it but seems like 30 seconds or so before it makes the change. Maybe longer to go to diff lock. Even tried going forward and reverse...no change. Anybody else have this? Normal?

Thanks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello All,
I have a 17 1000-5 D. Just turned over 200 miles. While riding over the weekend, I noticed it seems to be very slow to engage/disengage in and out of any of the drive modes. Never noticed before, probably no change but just the first time I noticed. I run it most in turf but when I move the lever to another mode.....I didn't time it but seems like 30 seconds or so before it makes the change. Maybe longer to go to diff lock. Even tried going forward and reverse...no change. Anybody else have this? Normal?

Thanks
Adjust your shifting cables behind the driver seat, in the rear floor board access, there's several threads about that here.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello All,

Thanks

Is it not changing or is it just not showing up on your dash screen?

Mine shifts into 4WD way before the dash can keep up.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it not changing or is it just not showing up on your dash screen?

Mine shifts into 4WD way before the dash can keep up.
Elk, Never thought of that. I was just relying on the dash indicator. I'll try and see but I would think the indicator should be as fast as the gear change. Smitty, I did do the cable adjustment right after I got it....wouldn't go into turf from the dealer. A bit Disappointing

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Elk, Never thought of that. I was just relying on the dash indicator. I'll try and see but I would think the indicator should be as fast as the gear change. Smitty, I did do the cable adjustment right after I got it....wouldn't go into turf from the dealer. A bit Disappointing
Look at it again, just to see if things changed. I've never adjusted mine, most have???????

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Had me worried the first time that I "ventured" into a little bit too deep mud puddle. When I stopped going forward, I put it in 4WD and nothing showed up on the dash but I figured lets see what happens and it did the Honda thing and walked right out. About halfway across the mudhole, the light changed and what was happening registered on the dash.

Reactions: Bones and Smitty335
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a little testing and found that the machine is still in 4wd or 2wd well after changing the shift lever back to turf.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like an inherent problem. I'd think Honda could do better.
My drive modes have been completely useless since day one. Shifter, dash and driveline never sync up to what's actually happening. And coming out of 2WD produces a "BANG!!" in the driveline after a quarter mile or so. Scared the snot outta me so I just stay in turf mode. It's all I really need. I just wish I could've ordered a 2wd model and saved a few $$$. Oh well...live and learn I guess!

Reactions: Bones
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We got 15" - 16" of snow overnight and after plowing for two hours I had to go to town. As I headed into town definitely needed 4WD so I twisted the knob in my GMC Denali and then waited for it to shift and watched the screen read "4WD shift in progress."

Guess my Pioneer isn't the only thing that takes a minute to make the change.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After adjustment mine shows up correctly on the dash pretty quick.........

B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After adjustment mine shows up correctly on the dash pretty quick.........
Do you mean the cable adjustment under the bed? I've done that once to get it to go into terf. Is there another adjustment?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
With everything adjusted right it takes a turning a bit to get mine to shift in and out of turf and back. Same for the front dif lock up. The lock up gear has to line up and to lock up and unlock. My Yamaha was the same way and sometimes I had to back up a bit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!