Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SATV arms required minor massaging. Plenty of meat left on bone so not worried. The HL bracket was a tight fit up top. Since they're so thick I went ahead and removed some material.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I started I was 16" from floor to bottom of skidplate behind front tires. That's with bracket lift and 3/4" spring spacers. After mounting shocks back in stock location and cranking the preload, I'm almost 15". I meant to go lower so I'm good with that. Soon as I put rear Fox shocks in stock location it should even out. Street manners really benefited from lower stance up front. Corner speeds are up.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotta get with Craig Folmar cause preload is crazy high. I've got almost 4" from bottom of lock ring to adjustment knob. If I don't run that much, spring is loose with wheels off the ground. Hell I may wanna dive into another creek one day so I don't need top hat coming loose and my spring flying off. Will it hurt having that much thread showing? Shocks action feels good so far. It's a little soft but I just have compression on #3. Rebound is at 6. Any thoughts?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Gotta get with Craig Folmar cause preload is crazy high. I've got almost 4" from bottom of lock ring to adjustment knob. If I don't run that much, spring is loose with wheels off the ground. Hell I may wanna dive into another creek one day so I don't need top hat coming loose and my spring flying off. Will it hurt having that much thread showing? Shocks action feels good so far. It's a little soft but I just have compression on #3. Rebound is at 6. Any thoughts?
Pretzel thoughts on how I set mine up, thought about the weight of the riders I usually carry, average is probably 180 lbs each, borrowed 4 bags of 80 lbs Quick Crete form the shop, two in drivers and passenger side, problem arose, I didn't have simulated cooler weight for the back, no problem, went to the LS with cooler, picked up ice and a 30 pack, put in the bed. OK, now for the technical part, start measuring the height with the weight in your rig, take a jack, raise your rig until the shaft or strap is extended with your tires still touching the ground, measure again, release jack, let settle, roll rig back and forth, do the math on the measurements you took. Now adjust your springs, a good spring sag to start with is an 1 1/2 with the weight still in it. This is the first step in setting up a dirt bike shock or forks or I could be full of crap, HA!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Jack it up on the limit straps. Once u get the nut up to the spring with no slack, that will start the preload. If u got to tighten the nut up more than 1.5" - 2" to get your ride height, u might want a heavier spring. As long as the spring doesnt coil bind on compression, the length should be fine.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretzel thoughts on how I set mine up, thought about the weight of the riders I usually carry, average is probably 180 lbs each, borrowed 4 bags of 80 lbs Quick Crete form the shop, two in drivers and passenger side, problem arose, I didn't have simulated cooler weight for the back, no problem, went to the LS with cooler, picked up ice and a 30 pack, put in the bed. OK, now for the technical part, start measuring the height with the weight in your rig, take a jack, raise your rig until the shaft or strap is extended with your tires still touching the ground, measure again, release jack, let settle, roll rig back and forth, do the math on the measurements you took. Now adjust your springs, a good spring sag to start with is an 1 1/2 with the weight still in it. This is the first step in setting up a dirt bike shock or forks or I could be full of crap, HA!
Smitty buddy I'm even more confused. Assume you're talking to an idiot. Cause you are lol

Reactions: pct and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jack it up on the limit straps. Once u get the nut up to the spring with no slack, that will start the preload. If u got to tighten the nut up more than 1.5" - 2" to get your ride height, u might want a heavier spring. As long as the spring doesnt coil bind on compression, the length should be fine.
Thanks buddy that makes perfect sense. I'll holler back and check this. All I know is I don't want that spring loose like that. Cause believe it or not I get the front wheels up every now and then. Hell I may want to do another wheelie video lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Coil bind" finally something I understand!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No idea what stock ride height would be. It's been ages since my height has been stock lol. I may put mounts back in other holes of bracket lift. That way I should be back to 16" like I was with spring spacers. Cause I know these shocks are good for 2" of lift (same as I got from spacers)

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No idea what stock ride height would be. It's been ages since my height has been stock lol. I may put mounts back in other holes of bracket lift. That way I should be back to 16" like I was with spring spacers. Cause I know these shocks are good for 2" of lift (same as I got from spacers)
Dosen't matter and your no idiot. I may have took the long way around explaining it, simple put the weight in it you ride with, measure it, jack it up until straps are limiting travel with the tires on the ground, measure, set back down, roll back and forth to settle, measure and adjust!

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dosen't matter and your no idiot. I may have took the long way around explaining it, simple put the weight in it you ride with, measure it, jack it up until straps are limiting travel with the tires on the ground, measure, set back down, roll back and forth to settle, measure and adjust!
Okay that makes sense. Thanks for the help! Looking forward to the challenge

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It took me forever to get fox twin clicker set up on my drag bike. Adjustability is a bad thing sometimes lol

Reactions: sharp and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It took me forever to get fox twin clicker set up on my drag bike. Adjustability is a bad thing sometimes lol
Not really, sometimes you just have to crawl inside and have a look around. HA!

Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No it's when nitrous solenoid freezes open and you drop 2 intake valves in a Vance n Hines head you just recently spent 4 grand on. I know it well
OW poop!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's still a pic on cbr900forum under my build thread (cbr900racer username). One valve litterally curled around and shoved itself back up into the other valve seat. Talk about valves swapping holes lol. Wife didn't find it amusing.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
No it's when nitrous solenoid freezes open and you drop 2 intake valves in a Vance n Hines head you just recently spent 4 grand on. I know it well
I had a guy at the dragstrip, in the staging lanes that had been working on his nos system and wired the relay normally on. Had his car in gear when he crunk it and it launched right into my tractor and track sprayer. Scary s***.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a guy at the dragstrip, in the staging lanes that had been working on his nos system and wired the relay normally on. Had his car in gear when he crunk it and it launched right into my tractor and track sprayer. Scary s***.
Yeah that'll get your attention

Reactions: sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!